• Please log in to reply
133 replies to this topic

#61 redwingfan19

redwingfan19

On a mission

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 09:52 PM

Hoping Scott Mayfield will still be on the board when the Wings pick. Big shutdown guy who can play in all situations, he is also a right handed shot. The Wings lack defensive depth and the closest thing we have to a defensive D man is Brian Lashoff. I'd like to see Holland take a defensive D man with the first pick, it would be a safe pick and fill an area of need. Then he can try to hit home runs in the later rounds, IE Jarnkrok, Pulkinen.

But knowing Holland he will draft Rocco Grimaldi.

On a serious note, for anyone interested, here is The Scouting Reports top 60:

http://www.thescouti...60-skaters-130/

Edited by redwingfan19, 26 May 2011 - 09:55 PM.

You may not like tough hockey, but it's winning hockey.

Mitch Callahan: 48GP, 6G, 3A, 9PTS,+/- -3, 103PIMS

14 Fighting Majors

#62 Bar Down

Bar Down

Rookie

• Pip
  • 109 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 10:13 PM

Does anyone else find it completely impossible to predict who the Wings/Holland will draft with almost any pick? Seems like one of the hardest teams in the NHL to figure out in this regard, though I suppose that's part of why they do so well.

Agreed. The Sheahan pick seemed to come out of nowhere last year.

And, not that you mentioned it specifically, but I think it's pretty safe to say that Kenny won't be picking a big defensive defenceman with our first round pick. I definitely think we'll draft skill with our first rounder but weirder things have happened.

#63 Majsheppard

Majsheppard

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 02:18 PM

Because the Wings have a lot of quality Centers and puck moving D men, but they are weak on stay at home D men and scoring wingers.

Thomas Tatar, Pulk in prospects. Franzen, Zetter. There are four there, while I would love to have another, I don't consider that the top priority. Besides position has nothing to do with it, the desire to shoot the puck does.

Anyone who plays hockey knows everyone falls into a mindset. You either are more confident in setting up or shooting. Position really doesn't fall into that, it is more about your skating ability and how aggressive you are at applying pressure as well as faceoff ability that determines position.

We need better defense for sure, but unfortunately losing Rafalski means we lost puck moving d ability as well.

Our problem that kept us from winning was not who we had in ability, but who we had in desire. Now we are going to have problems in who we have, and maybe desire. Holland has to find the guys with the right intangibles first and worry about the rest later.

If you don't believe it, check Helm vs Hudler, Bert, or Franzen. Helm bests them in only two things, desire and speed. We need that edge to wear on more people on the team.

Just look at the top prospects in the system and you know we are thinnest at D, and if we bring up Smith this year we really have only three d prospects worth a damn and they are all at least two more years away and all are number 4 dmen AT best. Although i think Almquivst could be a rafalski type.
"It is a lot easier to be an ******* to words than to people"-xkcd

Tootoo does NOT belong on this team. He is classless and I would rather see the Wings be bad than classless. I feel the same way about Bertuzzi as well, but he at least CAN make the team better. With Tootoo the team becomes worse and in danger of being classless. Would you have liked Claude on the team? Or Roy? No. So why would you be okay with that POS.

This thread has been closed due to emotions being higher than people's ability to read, interpret, and properly respond to simple posts.

#64 number9

number9

All The Best Players Wear A 9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,361 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 02:34 PM

RICKARD RAKELL!!!!!

#65 Majsheppard

Majsheppard

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 04:47 PM

Quote from your link. Grimaldi only question is size (5 foot six) the rest is absolute.

So yeah Holland will draft Rocco Grimaldi...

In the fourth round. :ph34r:

Mika Zibanejad is my pick.
"It is a lot easier to be an ******* to words than to people"-xkcd

Tootoo does NOT belong on this team. He is classless and I would rather see the Wings be bad than classless. I feel the same way about Bertuzzi as well, but he at least CAN make the team better. With Tootoo the team becomes worse and in danger of being classless. Would you have liked Claude on the team? Or Roy? No. So why would you be okay with that POS.

This thread has been closed due to emotions being higher than people's ability to read, interpret, and properly respond to simple posts.

#66 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,224 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 05:51 PM

Hoping Scott Mayfield will still be on the board when the Wings pick. Big shutdown guy who can play in all situations, he is also a right handed shot. The Wings lack defensive depth and the closest thing we have to a defensive D man is Brian Lashoff. I'd like to see Holland take a defensive D man with the first pick, it would be a safe pick and fill an area of need. Then he can try to hit home runs in the later rounds, IE Jarnkrok, Pulkinen.

On a serious note, for anyone interested, here is The Scouting Reports top 60:

http://www.thescouti...60-skaters-130/

Hey now I'd love to have Rocco on the Wings :D

#67 miksteri

miksteri

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 07:44 PM

:blink: Armia was born in Finland....

Just like me, and i live in the same town...

#68 Crashnburnluder

Crashnburnluder

Crashnburnluder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 09:32 PM

Ill take Rocco!!

Kinda funny...

#69 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 12:54 AM

An article on RWC about Gustav Nyquist where Jimmy Nill said, “Statistically, any player below the third round is not supposed to make the NHL" sparked my curiosity about forwards selected after the 3rd round who scored 40 points or more, which to me says they at least spent time in a top-six role.

Boston Bruins
Michael Ryder. Drafted by Montreal in 1998 (8/216).
Rich Peverley. Undrafted. Signed by Nashville in 2007.
Mark Recchi. Drafted by Pittsburgh in 1988 (4/67).

Calgary Flames
Curtis Glencross. Undrafted. Signed by Anaheim in 2004.
Rene Bourque. Undrafted. Signed by Chicago in 2004.

Carolina Hurricanes
Jussi Jokinen. Drafted by Dallas in 2001 (6/192).

Colorado Avalanche
David Jones. Drafted by Colorado in 2003 (9/288).
Milan Hejduk. Drafted by Quebec in 1994 (4/87).

Dallas Stars
Jamie Benn. Drafted by Dallas in 2007 (5/129).

Detroit Red Wings (Woo! Posted Image)
Pavel Datsyuk. Drafted by Detroit in 1998 (6/171).
Henrik Zetterberg. Drafted by Detroit in 1999 (7/210).

Florida Panthers
Mike Santorelli. Drafted by Nashville in 2004 (6/178).

Los Angeles Kings
Dustin Penner. Undrafted. Signed by Anaheim in 2004.

Minnesota Wild
Andrew Brunette. Drafted by Washington in 1993 (7/174).

Nashville Predators
Patric Hornqvist. Drafted by Nashville in 2005 (7/230).
Martin Erat. Drafted by Nashville in 1999 (7/191).
Sergei Kostitsyn. Drafted by Montreal in 2005 (7/200).

New York Islanders
PA Parenteau. Drafted by Anaheim in 2001 (9/264).
Matt Moulson. Drafted by Pittsburgh in 2003 (9/263).

New York Rangers
Ryan Callahan. Drafted by NY Rangers in 2004 (4/127).

Philadelphia Flyers
Kris Versteeg. Drafted by Boston in 2004 (5/134).
Ville Leino. Undrafted. Signed by Detroit in 2008.

Phoenix Coyotes
Eric Belanger. Drafted by Los Angeles in 1996 (4/96).
Radim Vrbata. Drafted by Colorado in 1999 (7/212).

Pittsburgh Penguins
Tyler Kennedy. Drafted by Pittsburgh in 2004 (4/99).
Chris Kunitz. Undrafted. Signed by Anaheim in 2003.

San Jose Sharks
Ryane Clowe. Drafted by San Jose in 2001 (6/175).
Joe Pavelski. Drafted by San Jose in 2003 (7/205).

St. Louis Blues
Matt D'Agostini. Drafted by Montreal in 2005 (6/190).
Andy McDonald. Undrafted. Signed by Anaheim in 2000.

Tampa Bay Lightning
Teddy Purcell. Undrafted. Signed by Los Angeles in 2007.

Toronto Maple Leafs
Mikhail Grabovski. Drafted by Montreal in 2004 (5/150).

Vancouver Canucks
Alexandre Burrows. Undrafted. Signed by Vancouver in 2003.
Mikael Samuelsson. Drafted by San Jose in 1998 (5/145).

Washington Capitals
Mike Knuble. Drafted by Detroit in 1991 (4/76).
Brooks Laich. Drafted by Ottawa in 2001 (6/193).

#70 Datsyerberger

Datsyerberger

"Dat's yer burger, Hank."

• HoF Booster
  • 3,097 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 01:58 AM

Thomas Tatar, Pulk in prospects. Franzen, Zetter. There are four there, while I would love to have another, I don't consider that the top priority. Besides position has nothing to do with it, the desire to shoot the puck does.

Franzen: Underrated shot, but more of an around the net finisher than a sniper.
Zetterberg: Natural center, leans towards playmaking
Tomas Tatar: Natural center, leans towards playmaker
Pulk: The only true sniper in our system, needs to work on using his wrister more

We don't really have much for natural "shooter" type wingers in our system. Size on D is a very obvious concern as well.

Agreed. The Sheahan pick seemed to come out of nowhere last year.

And, not that you mentioned it specifically, but I think it's pretty safe to say that Kenny won't be picking a big defensive defenceman with our first round pick. I definitely think we'll draft skill with our first rounder but weirder things have happened.

Well, part of the thing is that the predictably decent big defensive d-men tend to go earlier in the 1st round than we typically draft, with the less quality ones falling to the later rounds (usually 3rd or more).
If some bored artist wants to make me a signature, feel free to cut loose and do so.

Of course, I could get off my lame rear and do something.

#71 Bar Down

Bar Down

Rookie

• Pip
  • 109 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 02:34 AM

Well, part of the thing is that the predictably decent big defensive d-men tend to go earlier in the 1st round than we typically draft, with the less quality ones falling to the later rounds (usually 3rd or more).

I definitely wouldn't mind Kenny switching up his drafting tactics a bit this year. We haven't drafted a big stay-at-home defenseman since Sergei Kolosov in 2004. I know the philosophy is to draft multi-faceted D-men but we definitely need to beef up the back end in the near future.

#72 Datsyerberger

Datsyerberger

"Dat's yer burger, Hank."

• HoF Booster
  • 3,097 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 04:26 AM

I definitely wouldn't mind Kenny switching up his drafting tactics a bit this year. We haven't drafted a big stay-at-home defenseman since Sergei Kolosov in 2004. I know the philosophy is to draft multi-faceted D-men but we definitely need to beef up the back end in the near future.

Well, just saying, if we draft a big defensive oriented d-man, it'll probably be some gamble picks in the 3rd round or later, not 1st like some people are hoping.. the good ones worthy of taking in the 1st round tend not to last that long.
If some bored artist wants to make me a signature, feel free to cut loose and do so.

Of course, I could get off my lame rear and do something.

#73 sputman

sputman

4th Line Baggage

• HoF Booster
  • 3,069 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 05:19 AM

Ill take Rocco!!

Kinda funny...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=at6AZuS8QBM

those kids are insanely good. what league is this?
Posted Image

#74 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,224 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 06:47 AM

26. RC Rocco Grimaldi – US U18 Team (USHL)

DOB: Feb. 08/93 | Shoots: R | Height: 5.06 | Weight: 163lbs Season Statistics (Jan 28th): 14GP 9G 8A 17P +8 14PIM
---
Grimaldi easily has Top 10 skills but at 5’6” he will cause NHL GM’s to do some soul searching as to whether they should take a chance on a kid who has never let his lack of size stop him from producing. Grimaldi owns such pure and technically sound offensive skills, a picture perfect skating stride, puck distribution and protection skills and the ability to find the net from all parts of the ice. Grimaldi leaves everything on the ice and shows no fear when the play takes him to the boards. With Grimaldi, his size is the only question mark….the rest is absolute.

I like this kid :yowza:!

#75 Crashnburnluder

Crashnburnluder

Crashnburnluder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 11:57 AM

those kids are insanely good. what league is this?

I believe some youth league out in California. Pretty cool that all Grimaldi and McCoglan are both to be drafted this year after playing at such a young age together...

#76 mjlegend

mjlegend

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 12:07 PM

If the #24 pick is used in a package to get a legit top D for the Wings' big club for the next several years, I wouldn't be too disappointed. At #24, you're basically drafting for 2-3 years from then anyway.

#77 redwingfan19

redwingfan19

On a mission

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 04:43 PM

I hope Kenny goes the route of a stay at home d man with the first pick. There should be some good ones available when the Wings pick. The only 2 prospects the Wings really have with a future on D IMO, is Smith and Lashoff.

From the last time the Wings drafted a D man in the first round, I'd have to say it's looking pretty damn good right now. The Wings have not had a defensive prospect like this since Kronwall.

Smith is an offensive guy, the perfect complement to him down the road would be a legit shut down guy. Don't really see Lashoff as more than a 5th or 6th guy, while I consider Smith a top pairing D man.

Edited by redwingfan19, 28 May 2011 - 04:44 PM.

You may not like tough hockey, but it's winning hockey.

Mitch Callahan: 48GP, 6G, 3A, 9PTS,+/- -3, 103PIMS

14 Fighting Majors

#78 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 05:06 PM

I hope Kenny goes the route of a stay at home d man with the first pick. There should be some good ones available when the Wings pick. The only 2 prospects the Wings really have with a future on D IMO, is Smith and Lashoff.

I'd include Nicastro on that list. He's come along slowly but surely.

#79 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 09:29 PM

Looking at a couple mocks, it looks like the wings might be picking Joe Morrow from Portland.

I would really like this pick, he is what the wings need. He is a big, western boy who is fairly physical but he does everything pretty well. He defends well, is a good puck mover, can throw a hit and will drop the gloves. Getting a defenseman like him would really help our depth at that position.

I'm thinking Oleksiak will be gone by the wings pick but I would love to see him picked as well. A 6'7 mobile defender who can also play offensively and will be tough back there. He fights a bit as well.

If the wings wanna go the defense route, they should try to get one of these 2 guys

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#80 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,608 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 10:35 PM

I wouldn't mind Rocco in a later round....but for the first and second, I wouldn't mind any of these: (but what do I know?)

31. RD Myles Bell – Regina (WHL)

DOB: Aug. 19/93 | Shoots: R | Height: 6.00 | Weight: 202lbs

Season Statistics (Jan 28th): 48GP 11G 21A 31P -6 60PIM
---

Bell is a high-risk, high-reward defenseman that is capable of making momentum-changing plays. Although listed as a defenseman, Bell could almost be listed as a fourth forward as he seems to spend as much time joining the rush and the play up ice as he does in his own end. He loves to carry the puck up the ice and will attempt to stickhandle through traffic. He makes a strong first pass out of his end and has a very heavy shot from the point. Bell also loves delivering big hits. He can run around out of position when he locks on to a target. While he loves to rush the puck, his puck handling skills are good, but not elite in the way some other draft-eligible players’ are. His risky tendencies have often led to troubles in his own end and it must be determined whether his abilities are good enough for him to play the same way in the pros or whether he will just become a defensive liability.

32. RW Tyler Biggs – US Under 18 Team (USHL)

DOB: Jan. 30/93 | Shoots: R | Height: 6.02 | Weight: 210lbs

Season Statistics (Jan 28th): 12GP 5G 2A 7P +5 35PIM
---

Biggs has a pro body and uses it well. He also knows when to stand up for his teammates and provides good leadership. Biggs skates well with a powerful stride that takes him from point A to point B with good speed. He’s a little choppy though in tight turns and when he has to change directions. Most of the consensus has him higher, but we think there’s players with more upside ahead of him.

35. RC Colin Jacobs – Seattle (WHL)

DOB: Jan. 20/93 | Shoots: R | Height: 6.02 | Weight: 204lbs

Season Statistics (Jan 28th): 45GP 17G 16A 33P -12 49PIM
---

Colin Jacobs is a prototypical Western Hockey League center. Big, strong, and tough as nails, Jacobs hails from Coppell, Texas, not exactly a hockey hotbed. Jacobs has already surpassed his goal and point totals from last season, and continues to play his rough and tumble style while playing a much larger role on a young Seattle team. Colin projects as a second or third line center in the NHL, but is still a very raw player that will need a few years of solid development.

38. LW Stefan Noesen – Plymouth (OHL)

DOB: Feb. 12/93 | Shoots: R | Height: 6.01 | Weight: 195lbs

Season Statistics (Jan 28th): 49GP 24G 31A 55P +14 56PIM
---

Noesen is one of the big surprises out of the OHL this year, as he has really relished the increased role he’s earned himself with Mike Velucci’s team this season. He’s an above average skater who’s a prototypical north/south winger. Plays his off wing, but takes a lot of faceoffs and is very adept in the faceoff circle. Not a very creative player and looks to shoot first often, but has a pretty good shot. Hard nosed player who sacrifices the body and isn’t afraid to dish out his weight either. Offensive potential at the pro level is still questionable, but he competes hard and brings it every game.

41. RC Rickard Rakell – Plymouth (OHL)

DOB: May 05/93 | Shoots: R | Height: 6.01 | Weight: 185lbs

Season Statistics (Jan 28th): 39GP 17G 18A 35P +11 12PIM
---

Like Noesen, he came into the year off the chart a bit but has quickly entrenched himself as a legitimate prospect and was rewarded with a nod for the Swedish World Junior squad. He’s an above average skater who just does a lot of things well and is a player that a coach can use in a lot of situations due to his versatility. After playing mostly on the wing, he’s been thrown into a center position and made the transition fairly easily. He competes hard and leaves it all on the ice and also has a bit of grit which is a positive as well. Decent offensive threat and there’s no doubt that his upside isn’t capped with what he’s shown thus far.

42. LD Joe Morrow – Portland (WHL)

DOB: Dec. 09/92 | Shoots: L | Height: 6.01 | Weight: 198lbs

Season Statistics (Jan 28th): 39GP 4G 22A 26P +3 41PIM
---

After being injured early in the season, Morrow came back into the lineup with a lot of confidence, which led him to post 8 points in his first 7 games of the season. The slick-skating rearguard has since cooled off, posting 12 points in 22 games through November and December, while going -1 during that time span. Morrow has to fight for time on a stacked Portland defense, but has shown that he can hold his own while playing alongside other top prospects. Morrow is a very good skater who makes a solid first pass out of his own zone, and also has an underrated shot from the Portland blue line. Like some of his fellow teammates, Morrow will need to continue to improve in his own end to raise his stock even more, but with his raw skills, the sky is the limit.

46. LC Boone Jenner – Oshawa (OHL)

DOB: Jun. 15/93 | Shoots: L | Height: 6.03 | Weight: 197lbs

Season Statistics (Jan 28th): 43GP 14G 29A 43P +3 34PIM
---

Jenner has great size and strength for a 17 year old and is very hard to move off the puck. He’s not afraid to get physical and he can handle body contact effectively as well. He has a good release and likes to shoot the puck and wants the puck to be on his stick. Some may view this as a good trait, but with Jenner it borders heavily on immaturity as he is constantly calling for the puck at inopportune times. Jenner’s skating is still pretty choppy, but it’s improving, and aside from that there’s a lot that translates well to the NHL level, but he needs to find some consistency and make better decisions with the puck to be a more effective player.

52. LW Adam Lowry – Swift Current (WHL)

DOB: Mar. 29/93 | Shoots: L | Height: 6.04 | Weight: 184lbs

Season Statistics (Jan 28th): 48GP 14G 16A 30P -14 64PIM
---

After getting off to a slow start to the season while recuperating from mono, Lowry is quickly becoming one of the fastest risers in the WHL for this year’s upcoming NHL draft. Lowry has been nearly a PPG player for the Broncos since the end of November. Lowry isn’t the best skater and could stand to improve his first step, but he’s a power forward in the making that does a lot of little things that coaches love. The son of former NHLer Dave Lowry works the boards well, wins puck battles, is strong on the puck, throws his weight around, takes his man, and has surprisingly good hands for his size. At 6’4, Lowry already has the ability to overpower his opponents and he doesn’t look he’s finished growing yet.

30. LC JT Miller – US U18 Team (USHL)

DOB: Mar. 14/93 | Shoots: L | Height: 6.01 | Weight: 198lbs

Season Statistics (Jan 28th): 12GP 1G 9A 10P +4 37PIM
---

Miller is a very strong, powerful skater and he uses his speed to help him both offensively and defensively. Miller is an extremely hard worker and has the ability to get to loose pucks as well as separate the puck from the carrier seemingly at will. He has strong puck skills to go with his skating and is very dedicated to his end of the ice. The only knock on Miller is that when you see him play and admire his skills, you wonder why he doesn’t produce the numbers to match those skills.

27. RW Seth Ambroz – Omaha (USHL)

DOB: Apr. 01/93 | Shoots: L | Height: 6.02 | Weight: 211lbs

Season Statistics (Jan 28th): 28GP 14G 12A 26P +8 37PIM
---

Ambroz may not have held on to Top 5 status as some were predicting but he remains an interesting prospect. He has continued to increase his production since his rookie USHL campaign as a 15 year old and is currently at a point per game pace. Ambroz provides offense through his natural goal scoring ability and quick hands in front. He also provides a physical presence and shows no fear or reservations on the ice. The question on Ambroz has been and remains his skating. Before you see him play, you tend to expect more due to the hype and can leave disappointed, until you look at the score sheet. It will be interesting to see if he stays the NCAA route with Minnesota or takes his game to Seattle in the WHL.

any of these guys in the first and/or second (or further down if they are around) would make me a very excited fan. Since it usually takes 3-4 years of developing before they make the big club, any small flaws these kids have SHOULD be worked out before they make the jump...

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Aww You Mad Bro? Are You Butt Hurt?