• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
newfy

Draft Talk

Rate this topic

If the #24 pick is used in a package to get a legit top D for the Wings' big club for the next several years, I wouldn't be too disappointed. At #24, you're basically drafting for 2-3 years from then anyway.

I hope Kenny goes the route of a stay at home d man with the first pick. There should be some good ones available when the Wings pick. The only 2 prospects the Wings really have with a future on D IMO, is Smith and Lashoff.

From the last time the Wings drafted a D man in the first round, I'd have to say it's looking pretty damn good right now. The Wings have not had a defensive prospect like this since Kronwall.

Smith is an offensive guy, the perfect complement to him down the road would be a legit shut down guy. Don't really see Lashoff as more than a 5th or 6th guy, while I consider Smith a top pairing D man.

Edited by redwingfan19

I hope Kenny goes the route of a stay at home d man with the first pick. There should be some good ones available when the Wings pick. The only 2 prospects the Wings really have with a future on D IMO, is Smith and Lashoff.

I'd include Nicastro on that list. He's come along slowly but surely.

Looking at a couple mocks, it looks like the wings might be picking Joe Morrow from Portland.

I would really like this pick, he is what the wings need. He is a big, western boy who is fairly physical but he does everything pretty well. He defends well, is a good puck mover, can throw a hit and will drop the gloves. Getting a defenseman like him would really help our depth at that position.

I'm thinking Oleksiak will be gone by the wings pick but I would love to see him picked as well. A 6'7 mobile defender who can also play offensively and will be tough back there. He fights a bit as well.

If the wings wanna go the defense route, they should try to get one of these 2 guys

I wouldn't mind Rocco in a later round....but for the first and second, I wouldn't mind any of these: (but what do I know?)

31. RD Myles Bell – Regina (WHL)

DOB: Aug. 19/93 | Shoots: R | Height: 6.00 | Weight: 202lbs

Season Statistics (Jan 28th): 48GP 11G 21A 31P -6 60PIM

---

Bell is a high-risk, high-reward defenseman that is capable of making momentum-changing plays. Although listed as a defenseman, Bell could almost be listed as a fourth forward as he seems to spend as much time joining the rush and the play up ice as he does in his own end. He loves to carry the puck up the ice and will attempt to stickhandle through traffic. He makes a strong first pass out of his end and has a very heavy shot from the point. Bell also loves delivering big hits. He can run around out of position when he locks on to a target. While he loves to rush the puck, his puck handling skills are good, but not elite in the way some other draft-eligible players’ are. His risky tendencies have often led to troubles in his own end and it must be determined whether his abilities are good enough for him to play the same way in the pros or whether he will just become a defensive liability.

32. RW Tyler Biggs – US Under 18 Team (USHL)

DOB: Jan. 30/93 | Shoots: R | Height: 6.02 | Weight: 210lbs

Season Statistics (Jan 28th): 12GP 5G 2A 7P +5 35PIM

---

Biggs has a pro body and uses it well. He also knows when to stand up for his teammates and provides good leadership. Biggs skates well with a powerful stride that takes him from point A to point B with good speed. He’s a little choppy though in tight turns and when he has to change directions. Most of the consensus has him higher, but we think there’s players with more upside ahead of him.

35. RC Colin Jacobs – Seattle (WHL)

DOB: Jan. 20/93 | Shoots: R | Height: 6.02 | Weight: 204lbs

Season Statistics (Jan 28th): 45GP 17G 16A 33P -12 49PIM

---

Colin Jacobs is a prototypical Western Hockey League center. Big, strong, and tough as nails, Jacobs hails from Coppell, Texas, not exactly a hockey hotbed. Jacobs has already surpassed his goal and point totals from last season, and continues to play his rough and tumble style while playing a much larger role on a young Seattle team. Colin projects as a second or third line center in the NHL, but is still a very raw player that will need a few years of solid development.

38. LW Stefan Noesen – Plymouth (OHL)

DOB: Feb. 12/93 | Shoots: R | Height: 6.01 | Weight: 195lbs

Season Statistics (Jan 28th): 49GP 24G 31A 55P +14 56PIM

---

Noesen is one of the big surprises out of the OHL this year, as he has really relished the increased role he’s earned himself with Mike Velucci’s team this season. He’s an above average skater who’s a prototypical north/south winger. Plays his off wing, but takes a lot of faceoffs and is very adept in the faceoff circle. Not a very creative player and looks to shoot first often, but has a pretty good shot. Hard nosed player who sacrifices the body and isn’t afraid to dish out his weight either. Offensive potential at the pro level is still questionable, but he competes hard and brings it every game.

41. RC Rickard Rakell – Plymouth (OHL)

DOB: May 05/93 | Shoots: R | Height: 6.01 | Weight: 185lbs

Season Statistics (Jan 28th): 39GP 17G 18A 35P +11 12PIM

---

Like Noesen, he came into the year off the chart a bit but has quickly entrenched himself as a legitimate prospect and was rewarded with a nod for the Swedish World Junior squad. He’s an above average skater who just does a lot of things well and is a player that a coach can use in a lot of situations due to his versatility. After playing mostly on the wing, he’s been thrown into a center position and made the transition fairly easily. He competes hard and leaves it all on the ice and also has a bit of grit which is a positive as well. Decent offensive threat and there’s no doubt that his upside isn’t capped with what he’s shown thus far.

42. LD Joe Morrow – Portland (WHL)

DOB: Dec. 09/92 | Shoots: L | Height: 6.01 | Weight: 198lbs

Season Statistics (Jan 28th): 39GP 4G 22A 26P +3 41PIM

---

After being injured early in the season, Morrow came back into the lineup with a lot of confidence, which led him to post 8 points in his first 7 games of the season. The slick-skating rearguard has since cooled off, posting 12 points in 22 games through November and December, while going -1 during that time span. Morrow has to fight for time on a stacked Portland defense, but has shown that he can hold his own while playing alongside other top prospects. Morrow is a very good skater who makes a solid first pass out of his own zone, and also has an underrated shot from the Portland blue line. Like some of his fellow teammates, Morrow will need to continue to improve in his own end to raise his stock even more, but with his raw skills, the sky is the limit.

46. LC Boone Jenner – Oshawa (OHL)

DOB: Jun. 15/93 | Shoots: L | Height: 6.03 | Weight: 197lbs

Season Statistics (Jan 28th): 43GP 14G 29A 43P +3 34PIM

---

Jenner has great size and strength for a 17 year old and is very hard to move off the puck. He’s not afraid to get physical and he can handle body contact effectively as well. He has a good release and likes to shoot the puck and wants the puck to be on his stick. Some may view this as a good trait, but with Jenner it borders heavily on immaturity as he is constantly calling for the puck at inopportune times. Jenner’s skating is still pretty choppy, but it’s improving, and aside from that there’s a lot that translates well to the NHL level, but he needs to find some consistency and make better decisions with the puck to be a more effective player.

52. LW Adam Lowry – Swift Current (WHL)

DOB: Mar. 29/93 | Shoots: L | Height: 6.04 | Weight: 184lbs

Season Statistics (Jan 28th): 48GP 14G 16A 30P -14 64PIM

---

After getting off to a slow start to the season while recuperating from mono, Lowry is quickly becoming one of the fastest risers in the WHL for this year’s upcoming NHL draft. Lowry has been nearly a PPG player for the Broncos since the end of November. Lowry isn’t the best skater and could stand to improve his first step, but he’s a power forward in the making that does a lot of little things that coaches love. The son of former NHLer Dave Lowry works the boards well, wins puck battles, is strong on the puck, throws his weight around, takes his man, and has surprisingly good hands for his size. At 6’4, Lowry already has the ability to overpower his opponents and he doesn’t look he’s finished growing yet.

30. LC JT Miller – US U18 Team (USHL)

DOB: Mar. 14/93 | Shoots: L | Height: 6.01 | Weight: 198lbs

Season Statistics (Jan 28th): 12GP 1G 9A 10P +4 37PIM

---

Miller is a very strong, powerful skater and he uses his speed to help him both offensively and defensively. Miller is an extremely hard worker and has the ability to get to loose pucks as well as separate the puck from the carrier seemingly at will. He has strong puck skills to go with his skating and is very dedicated to his end of the ice. The only knock on Miller is that when you see him play and admire his skills, you wonder why he doesn’t produce the numbers to match those skills.

27. RW Seth Ambroz – Omaha (USHL)

DOB: Apr. 01/93 | Shoots: L | Height: 6.02 | Weight: 211lbs

Season Statistics (Jan 28th): 28GP 14G 12A 26P +8 37PIM

---

Ambroz may not have held on to Top 5 status as some were predicting but he remains an interesting prospect. He has continued to increase his production since his rookie USHL campaign as a 15 year old and is currently at a point per game pace. Ambroz provides offense through his natural goal scoring ability and quick hands in front. He also provides a physical presence and shows no fear or reservations on the ice. The question on Ambroz has been and remains his skating. Before you see him play, you tend to expect more due to the hype and can leave disappointed, until you look at the score sheet. It will be interesting to see if he stays the NCAA route with Minnesota or takes his game to Seattle in the WHL.

any of these guys in the first and/or second (or further down if they are around) would make me a very excited fan. Since it usually takes 3-4 years of developing before they make the big club, any small flaws these kids have SHOULD be worked out before they make the jump...

Don't think I saw any mention of Oscar Klefbom. Mocks I saw had the Wings selecting him.

*edit* That may have been before the new ISS rankings came out, jumped from 26 to 10 I think it was.

Edited by dallas27

Looking at some mock drafts in later rounds I like Joel Edmundson as a potential stay at home defenseman, he has drawn comparison to former teammate Dylan Mcilrath. A 3rd round pick on him would vbe nice, he is 6'4 and mean (good pick if we dont take Oleksiak or Mayfield first round).

Jesse Forsberg hasnt lived up to offensive excpectations but has all the tools. He is 6'1 and one of the toughest defenseman in the WHL. He is always throwing huge hits and playing solid defensive hockey.

Tyler Hansen is also a big stay at home type, he isnt quite as tough as the other guys but still could be a nice pick.

I would really like to see the wings develop a big, mean stay at home guy. If you can use a pick on Sergei Kolosov, whats wrong with picking Edmundson or Forsberg lol?

anyone else noticed that we havent drafted a Russian or old Soviet block countries players, since Kolosov and Stolyarov in '04?

will we pick one this draft?

anyway, my pick for the first round at #24 will be Tomas Jurco. and hopefully Kenny can trade up and get

Vladislav Namestnikov as well. 2nd round Joel Edmundson. 3rd round Andrei Pedan, 4th round Joel Lowry, 5th round Alex Roach 6th round Ildar Isangulov 7th round Vladislav Kartayev 8th round Stefan Steen

Edited by Andy Pred 48

Looking at some mock drafts in later rounds I like Joel Edmundson as a potential stay at home defenseman, he has drawn comparison to former teammate Dylan Mcilrath. A 3rd round pick on him would vbe nice, he is 6'4 and mean..

big, mean stay at home guy. If you can use a pick on Sergei Kolosov, whats wrong with picking Edmundson or Forsberg lol?

i would love to have a guy like that in our system. i'm tired of kolosov being our best option for a big, mean, stay-at-homer.

i would love to have a guy like that in our system. i'm tired of kolosov being our best option for a big, mean, stay-at-homer.

Yep same here, with the depth at forward the wings have, Mrazek and Howard looking good long term and the lack of defense I think 2 of the top 3 picks should be defenseman (obviously if some unreal forward falls to them then yeah take him).

In the first I would love to see the wings get their hands on Morrow or Oleksiak.

Second round Edmundson would be great

Third round Jesse Forsberg looks great as well.

All of these guys are tough defenseman who can play the game it seems and have the potential to be shutdown type players.

Any 2 of those three would make me very happy.

In the third I would love to see the wings go for Travis Ewanyk. He did work against Yakupoov in the u18s as a shutdown type. Hes a great PKer, hits hard, fights well, agitates and is great defensively. With callahan looking to turn out great, I would like to see another forward of his ilk taken out of the dub. Ewanyk looks great in the third round

This would be another great year to trade down. It would also be a good year to trade up.

Great talent at the top, and it is pretty deep for the first couple of rounds.

If they think they can get a good defenseman that can step into the NHL soon in the next few years, I think they will take that guy. Whether they have to trade up for him or not.

The Wings are a team that drafts the best player available, but this year I think they are scared about their cupboard being emptied of Defense for the first time in a while. With all our great offensive prospects, they will take defense, and I think they want someone in the first two rounds that will step up sooner rather than later. I also think this player will be a defensive first Dman.

Brodin is the one I would bet on.

Addendum, if we took Rocco I would expect him to play like Patrick Kane.

Tomas Tatar? Jan Mursak? Kindl, Mrazek, Nestrasil.

Slovak. Slovenian. Czech. Czech. Czech.

Tomas Jurco - who was mentioned earlier - is from Slovakia as well.

They're not former Soviet union countries. They have less to do with the Soviet union than Finland.

Slovak. Slovenian. Czech. Czech. Czech.

Tomas Jurco - who was mentioned earlier - is from Slovakia as well.

They're not former Soviet union countries. They have less to do with the Soviet union than Finland.

thanks Fin, i didnt bother to reply as i know the guys over the other side of the pond dont know alot about the geography this side !! :)

for you who dont know;

Baltic;

Estonia

Latvia

Lithuania

Eastern Europe:

Belarus

Moldova

Ukraine

Transcaucasus:

Armenia

Azerbaijan

Georgia

Central Asia:

Kazakhstan

Kyrgyzstan

Tajikistan

Turkmenistan

Uzbekistan

Eurasia:

Russia

these were all part of the old USSR.

hope this helps with any homework.

Edited by Andy Pred 48

thanks Fin, i didnt bother to reply as i know the guys over the other side of the pond dont know alot about the geography this side !! :)

for you who dont know;

Baltic;

Estonia

Latvia

Lithuania

Eastern Europe:

Belarus

Moldova

Ukraine

Transcaucasus:

Armenia

Azerbaijan

Georgia

Central Asia:

Kazakhstan

Kyrgyzstan

Tajikistan

Turkmenistan

Uzbekistan

Eurasia:

Russia

Which is the one with all the hot chicks?

for you who dont know;

Baltic;

Estonia

Latvia

Lithuania

Eastern Europe:

Belarus

Moldova

Ukraine

Transcaucasus:

Armenia

Azerbaijan

Georgia

Central Asia:

Kazakhstan

Kyrgyzstan

Tajikistan

Turkmenistan

Uzbekistan

Eurasia:

Russia

Your original post refers to the "Soviet block [sic]". The Soviet Bloc, also better known as the Eastern Bloc, is a term denoting the countries behind the Iron Curtain that were within the sphere of influence of the USSR. These countries include East Germany, Poland, Czechoslovakia, Hungary, Romania, Bulgaria, Albania, and Yugoslavia. So, the other poster was correct that the Wings have drafted players from the former Soviet Bloc states.

If you're talking about independent nations that were once a part of the USSR, those are Former Soviet Republics or Post-Soviet States.

/homework graded

Your original post refers to the "Soviet block [sic]". The Soviet Bloc, also better known as the Eastern Bloc, is a term denoting the countries behind the Iron Curtain that were within the sphere of influence of the USSR. These countries include East Germany, Poland, Czechoslovakia, Hungary, Romania, Bulgaria, Albania, and Yugoslavia. So, the other poster was correct that the Wings have drafted players from the former Soviet Bloc states.

If you're talking about independent nations that were once a part of the USSR, those are Former Soviet Republics or Post-Soviet States.

/homework graded

Soviet bloc and Eastern bloc are 2 different things:

Soviet bloc are countries that were once part of the USSR, Eastern bloc are countries that as you rightly stated came under the influence of the old USSR but were never part of the old USSR and were countries in their own right. Maybe if i had worded it as former Soviet countries it would have been easier to follow.

If we dont end up getting Tomas Jurco, I would love to get our hands on any of these guys:

Mika Zibanejad, C, Djurgarden (SWE)

Joel Armia, RW, Assat (FIN)

Vladislav Namestnikov, C, London (OHL)

Jonas Brodin, D, Farjestad (SWE)

Alexander Khokhlachev, C/LW, Windsor (OHL)

Brandon Saad, LW, Saginaw (OHL)

Nicklas Jensen, LW/RW, Oshawa (OHL)

no particilar order...

the thing about Biggs is he had an absolutely terrible U-18s. While he's big and tough, there are doubts about his overall hockey sense and projected skill level. A lot of scouts are starting to believe that he might only be a 3rd liner at the NHL level.

and as for Zibanejad and Landeskog, man, I wish. Those two will be looong gone by the Wings' pick. I'm holding out for one of Brodin or Klefbom, but I don't know if even they will be there.

My picks:

Khokhlachev, Alexander

Karlsson, William

Jaskin, Dmitri

I would s*** bricks and build a house if some how Oscar Klefbom fell to us. Big mobile DMan.

Don't think I saw any mention of Oscar Klefbom. Mocks I saw had the Wings selecting him.

*edit* That may have been before the new ISS rankings came out, jumped from 26 to 10 I think it was.

:ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: