• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
newfy

Draft Talk

Rate this topic

Fifth pick is available... at a cost.

I wonder if anything could be done to secure that pick?

Wanting at least a top forward to make the team better fast.

I know Hudler isn't that, so no one suggest it... Yet maybe he can be part of a package?

If Larsson is available at five... maybe it would be best to trade Filpulla and Hudler with the first round pick for fifth overall and get an amazing defenseman prospect? Then we would have to fix the forward group by going after someone like Richards in FA.

A crazy long shot, but if the Islanders are offering. I will take it. Some are suggesting Carter will be that player traded, which could lead to secondary movements... such as trading Carle away to allow Larsson to step in.

Discuss.

demands.

I know Hudler isn't that, so no one suggest it... Yet maybe he can be part of a package?

If Larsson is available at five... maybe it would be best to trade Filpulla and Hudler with the first round pick for fifth overall and get an amazing defenseman prospect? Then we would have to fix the forward group by going after someone like Richards in FA.

A crazy long shot, but if the Islanders are offering. I will take it. Some are suggesting Carter will be that player traded, which could lead to secondary movements... such as trading Carle away to allow Larsson to step in.

Discuss.

demands.

Unfortunately, we don't really know how far down he's willing to go. After RNH, Larsson, Couturier, and RNH, the next 5 picks are pretty much a toss-up, value-wise, of the same 5 guys. So maybe he's just willing to trade down as far as #8 or 9. Or maybe he's eyeing someone expected to fall in the 10-15 range.

For the sake of discussion, the Wings attaining #5 would probably take a good young non-Hudler roster player, our 1st, and one of our top.. eh, lets say top 5-7 prospects (or a pick in place of the roster player... 2nd, maybe a 3rd as well depending on the prospect). 5-7 prospect means one of:

Smith

Tatar

Nyquist

Pulkinnen

Jarnkrok

Sheahan

Mursak

Guest CaliWingsNut

Discuss.

demands.

Get a goalie while you're at it.

Soviet bloc and Eastern bloc are 2 different things:

Soviet bloc are countries that were once part of the USSR, Eastern bloc are countries that as you rightly stated came under the influence of the old USSR but were never part of the old USSR and were countries in their own right. Maybe if i had worded it as former Soviet countries it would have been easier to follow.

I see the difference now... you live in England. In the US, Soviet Bloc and Eastern Bloc are synonymous. In doing a quick search, I noticed that UK media sources like the BBC and Telegraph refer to the Soviet Bloc as nations that were once a part of the USSR. This is not the case in the US.

Unfortunately, we don't really know how far down he's willing to go. After RNH, Larsson, Couturier, and RNH, the next 5 picks are pretty much a toss-up, value-wise, of the same 5 guys. So maybe he's just willing to trade down as far as #8 or 9. Or maybe he's eyeing someone expected to fall in the 10-15 range.

For the sake of discussion, the Wings attaining #5 would probably take a good young non-Hudler roster player, our 1st, and one of our top.. eh, lets say top 5-7 prospects (or a pick in place of the roster player... 2nd, maybe a 3rd as well depending on the prospect). 5-7 prospect means one of:

Smith

Tatar

Nyquist

Pulkinnen

Jarnkrok

Sheahan

Mursak

Deal. I wouldn't miss Sheahan if it meant Larsson. We need the Dman more than the center.

I would offer him, our first, Hudler, and maybe another first next year to get a blue chipper right now.

EDIT: Almost forgot to throw Hudler in. Which is against LGW rules to leave him out of a trade concept. :hehe:

Edited by Majsheppard

Why I don't give a s*** about height and weight of a player and why I prefer skill over size:

Roberto-Luongo-and-Brad-Marchand-2011-Stanley-Cup-Finals-Canucks-vs-Bruins-Game-3_photo_medium.jpg

Eh, well, I do think weight relevant to height can be important to an extent. Good for a guy to have NHL bulk; it's great to see Pavel's play ever since he's breached the 190 mark, imo. Not only does he still have his smart/skilled game, but he can protect the puck better than ever and even throw his weight around occasionally.

Height.. well, overall size has its uses. But not every guy on the team has to be a big burly dude. Couple guys on the back end to block shots/clear the crease, a handful of bangers up front to make things difficult in front of the net. Detroit won with a tiny team, Boston won with a large one... it's all about proper roles, I guess.

Guest CaliWingsNut

Why I don't give a s*** about height and weight of a player and why I prefer skill over size:

All three are qualities that cannot be developed by a coach. The best a coach can do is provide the environment to allow a player to best utilize them. Therefore, I consider all 3 important. Skill only outweighs height/weight in exceptional & uncommon cases.

Smith

Tatar

Nyquist

Pulkinnen

Jarnkrok

Sheahan

Mursak

When I first read this I thought you meant a roster player, our first pick and at least 5 to 7 of our best prospects. I almost s*** my pants!

Roberto-Luongo-and-Brad-Marchand-2011-Stanley-Cup-Finals-Canucks-vs-Bruins-Game-3_photo_medium.jpg

You dont give a s*** about height and weight because there is a guy who plays like he is twice his size? For every Marchand there aare 10 players who play as soft as Hudler

You dont give a s*** about height and weight because there is a guy who plays like he is twice his size? For every Marchand there aare 10 players who play as soft as Hudler

I'd take a highly skilled small player like Marchand 9 times out of 10 over guys a half a foot taller who are average skaters and have average puck skills. And let's not compare players like Miller and Eaves to marchand who don't possess nearly the skill he does. It's like comparing Ericsson to Chara.

I agree that size and strength is something a team needs, but i also believe it is impossible to tell how a player will adjust to this league before he is in it. a player may be big and strong, but not use it. ie: Jakub Kindl - 6'3" - avg .917 hits a game - Darren Helm - 5'10" - avg 1.56 hits a game.

this team shouldnt draft for size they should take it after its been in the league(free agents and trades). thats why Khokhlachev would be the ideal pick for the wings, hes like a russian Briere

Good news,

LeBrun says Holland also says he'll explore trade route this week at draft as another measure to improve defense. Other teams may need to shed $$$

Cotsinka says:

Holland: Yeah, we're looking to be active, and we have money to spend. But we're not going to spend just to spend.

I hope we go hard after someone that helps our team an extreme amount, either long term or short term. Since the Draft is involved, I will restate that I hope Holland goes to trade up for Larsson.

If not we could trade for someone like Burns instead of developing a defenseman.

I agree that size and strength is something a team needs, but i also believe it is impossible to tell how a player will adjust to this league before he is in it. a player may be big and strong, but not use it. ie: Jakub Kindl - 6'3" - avg .917 hits a game - Darren Helm - 5'10" - avg 1.56 hits a game.

this team shouldnt draft for size they should take it after its been in the league(free agents and trades). thats why Khokhlachev would be the ideal pick for the wings, hes like a russian Briere

"it seems as if the 5’10” forward plays much smaller with the puck on his stick. Khokhlachev was frequently seen not coming out of the corners with the puck and struggling to fight through checks along the wall."

Heres a nice little tidbit about him from the scouting report. Yeah there are archands and Helms and Mitch Callahans, but they played bigger and with tonnes of heart before they were drafted. Khoklachev also has poor defensive ability to go along with being small.

Sure some guys dont need size and can play like they are 6'3, but this guy has another potential Jiri Hudler written all over him. Dynamic guy with great hockey sense but neglects his own zone and plays smaller when he has the puck.

DO NOT WANT

http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=44973

TSN has Mayfield at 46, this ranking is a composite of 10 NHL scout's rankings.

Oscar Klefbom is ranked in the 20s, hes big, good vision, good leadership, only weakness is his skating, but from all I have heard about him he would be a mid risk high reward pick at 24.

Edited by Shaman464

http://www.tsn.ca/dr...ature/?id=44973

Oscar Klefbom is ranked in the 20s, hes big, good vision, good leadership, only weakness is his skating, but from all I have heard about him he would be a mid risk high reward pick at 24.

Sounds good to me! Klefborn would be awesome. Maybe trade up in the second round to grab Mayfield. Hudler + our 4th for NYR's 2nd?

Sounds good to me! Klefborn would be awesome. Maybe trade up in the second round to grab Mayfield. Hudler + our 4th for NYR's 2nd?

Trading up to grab Mayfield in the second would be good. Take BPA in the first round and than try to move up and grab Mayfield to start filling some needs.

In Mackenzies latest draft rankings Mark Mcneil is sliding down a bit into the 20 range. Edmonton has 2 firsts, it makes you wonder if they would take Hudler who is experienced with a cup and could help the young guys offensively in order for the wings to move up to 19 and grab Mcneil who fills a huge need and would still be BPA if he is still around (which I doubt but one can hope )

Mcneil is looking to be the next Jamie Benn/ Brendan Morrow which would be awesome for the wings to have

http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=44973

I highly doubt we use our first pick on a guy who's weakness is skating. Highly doubt it.

"After the first 10 picks it’s wide open," Nill said. "From 20 to 50 there’s a lot of the same (quality of) players. There’s something to like about them, but they have weaknesses. Depth-wise, it’s good. You can get a good player in the second round as well as the first."

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2011/06/red_wings_eye_defensemen_in_nh.html

Perhaps a trade down for more picks is coming?

Perhaps a trade down for more picks is coming?

That is always a safe bet. I honestly think there are two or three guys that if they are there he will jump at, after that I think he always drops down.

I just can't picture him taking anyone but a defenseman first... unless it is a surefire superstar.