• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#21 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 10:39 AM

Hudler homerism is starting to border on ridiculous now, did you guys grow up together?...Hudler's signing was just as unsuccessful as Modano's stint, he was useless for the majority of the season and failed to contribute anything during the most crucial series of the playoffs. If he manages to stay on this team another season, you'll be the only one celebrating .

Is Modano a better hitter than Hudler?

The answer is no.

Congratulations, your post is invalid and unneccessary. Please remove it.

"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."

#22 GSBrooks13

GSBrooks13

1st Line All-Star

• Bronze Booster
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 10:43 AM

He just doesn't have Hudler's body checking skills.

That's right. Just ask Cleary.

Anyways, I think this one can be filed under "you cant teach an old dog new tricks" Modano struggled all season, when he was healthy, to grasp the Wings system, and obviously after missing half the year Babs didnt feel he had grasped it enough to warrant consistent playing time. Maybe if Mo had played all year and gotten stronger as the season went on and showed some offensive skill and forechecking ability he would have gotten more of a shot, but that was clearly not the case.

It may not be the most popular stance on these boards but Hudler is quite a bit more of an offensive threat than Mo is at this stage of his career. And that is saying a lot given how little Hudler has been able to produce.

"Push the dirt off your jersey then go for the cup or the trophy or the ring, champion no matter what."

#23 Mors

Mors

The Red Death

• HoF Booster
  • 1,995 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 10:43 AM

Is Modano a better hitter than Hudler?

The answer is no.

Congratulations, your post is invalid and unneccessary. Please remove it.

What we really need are more inane statistical analysis showing that theoretically Hudler would have contributed 187 points this season if the stars had aligned and we had all conducted the proper rites and rituals. :rolleyes:

#24 Aussie_Wing

Aussie_Wing

Mursak

• Bronze Booster
  • 8,550 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 10:51 AM

Worst. Signing. Ever.

Ken Holland: Hes (Mursak) a young guy, provides energy, can skate, hes a puck hound.

#25 Yellowknife Redwing

Yellowknife Redwing

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 10:56 AM

Why didn't Modano play? Because he's been terrible all season long and never came close to earning a steady roster spot.

#26 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 11:03 AM

Hudler homerism is starting to border on ridiculous now, did you guys grow up together?...Hudler's signing was just as unsuccessful as Modano's stint, he was useless for the majority of the season and failed to contribute anything during the most crucial series of the playoffs. If he manages to stay on this team another season, you'll be the only one celebrating .

This. The homerism and leg humping of him almost literally makes my ears ring now. It is beyond numbing and aggravating.

#27 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 11:40 AM

how little Hudler has been able to produce.

Did you know that, despite the fact Filppula has played second line (or even first line at times) for years now, Hudler has only four fewer points in his NHL career in 33 fewer games?

He scored ten points in his first 33 games this season, and he scored 23 points in his last 33 games.

Just saying.

#28 Aussie_Wing

Aussie_Wing

Mursak

• Bronze Booster
  • 8,550 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 11:45 AM

Did you know that, despite the fact Filppula has played second line (or even first line at times) for years now, Hudler has only four fewer points in his NHL career in 33 fewer games?

He scored ten points in his first 33 games this season, and he scored 23 points in his last 33 games.

Just saying.

Filppula 49 playoff points in 86 games. (.057 PPG)
Hudler 31 playoff points in 61 games. (0.50 PPG)

Just saying.

Edited by Aussie_Wing, 15 May 2011 - 11:48 AM.

Ken Holland: Hes (Mursak) a young guy, provides energy, can skate, hes a puck hound.

#29 weGotTheCup89

weGotTheCup89

This is for the Wings fans!

• PipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 11:54 AM

Just saying.

49/86 = .57
0.57 != .057

Just saying.
Q: Of all the individual trophies you have not won, which one would you most like to win?
Datsyuk: I have so many of them that I haven't won. I think I would most like to win a trophy to the best goaltending duo.

#30 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 12:19 PM

Just saying.

How many of Hudler's games were played alongside Datsyuk? Take those last three points and give them to Hudler instead of Filppula, what does the stat line look like?

Hudler 34 in 61 for .56, Filppula 46 in 86 for .53.

And what did it look after game five?

Hudler 31 in 59 for .53, Filppula 46 in 84 for .55

And then you consider that a large majority of their postseason careers has been spent on the same line. Excepting last season and the occasional game or shift when Flip would get promoted or Hudler demoted. Makes you wonder how the numbers would look if Hudler had been getting those promotions.

#31 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 12:29 PM

Willa just texted me and said you guys are all jerks.

esteef
"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#32 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,340 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 12:30 PM

Just saying.

Wow a .07 difference in points per game.

Crazy.

Posted Image

#33 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,827 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 12:34 PM

Every year we won a Cup, we made some move in either the offseason or the deadline that contributed to our Cup effort. Something to change up the team. Didn't have to be anything major either.

The last two seasons, Holland has done nothing at the deadline and hasn't exactly made great offseason signings which kept us competing for Cups. We're still a good team, but hardly Cup competitors when we're getting bounced out of the second round consecutively.

I blame the Modano and Hudler moves on him. Same with Salei. We got slower and older, instead of signing younger players who could fit needs we didn't already have.

Edited by GMRwings1983, 15 May 2011 - 12:44 PM.

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#34 GSBrooks13

GSBrooks13

1st Line All-Star

• Bronze Booster
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 01:04 PM

Just saying.

For your information, I did know that. I was referring to this season, ya know, the one where Modano played for the WIngs. Since this thread is kinda supposed to be about him..

If you wanna base the argument on career numbers than I would have to say that Modano deserved a spot on the team above quite a few guys.

"Push the dirt off your jersey then go for the cup or the trophy or the ring, champion no matter what."

#35 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 01:33 PM

For your information, I did know that. I was referring to this season, ya know, the one where Modano played for the WIngs. Since this thread is kinda supposed to be about him..

If you wanna base the argument on career numbers than I would have to say that Modano deserved a spot on the team above quite a few guys.

Modano this season:

15 points in 40 games.

14 in his first 33.

14 in his last 33.

#36 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,058 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 03:09 PM

Loved Modano, but he should've just retired after what happened in Dallas (SO winner, last home game) and then the tribute in Minnesota. He showed he didnt have anything, and was a waste of money we could've used on either a bigger winger for the bottom 6, or saved money for the deadline.

#NOMOREKINDL

#37 Grayne Wetzky

Grayne Wetzky

Rookie

• Pip
  • 124 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 03:21 PM

Modano not playing is about 19 on the list of problems to address right now.

#1 = OLD, SLOW, SOFT guys who bring no value to the team during the playoffs = Rafalski, Bertuzzi, Holmstrom

We've got to deal with this dead weight for another year, so what's the best way to deal with it?

#38 GSBrooks13

GSBrooks13

1st Line All-Star

• Bronze Booster
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 03:32 PM

[font="Book Antiqua"]Modano this season:

15 points in 40 games.

14 in his first 33.

14 in his last 33.[/
font]

What? Haha..

Anyways, I think you are missing my original point. Which was that Hudler deserved the spot over Modano in the playoffs. And you seem to be arguing that same point against me somehow. :huh:

#39 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 11:37 PM

What? Haha..

Anyways, I think you are missing my original point. Which was that Hudler deserved the spot over Modano in the playoffs. And you seem to be arguing that same point against me somehow. :huh:

I cut it to 33 to make it comparable to the earlier Hudler/Filppula comparison... 33 is the games played difference between the two. Guess that didn't translate.

But no, definitely, Modano should not have played. In the games he did play, he shouldn't have.

It should have been Mursak instead. Could have gone with:

Hudler/Zetterberg/Abdelkader
Holmstrom/Datsyuk/Bertuzzi
Cleary/Filppula/Mursak
Draper/Helm/Eaves

Two quick checking lines with puck skills. Hmmmm....

#40 Aussie_Wing

Aussie_Wing

Mursak

• Bronze Booster
  • 8,550 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 12:01 AM

Wow a .07 difference in points per game.

Crazy.

You obviously didn't read eva's initial post.

If you did, then I pity the fool.

How many of Hudler's games were played alongside Datsyuk? Take those last three points and give them to Hudler instead of Filppula, what does the stat line look like?

Hudler 34 in 61 for .56, Filppula 46 in 86 for .53.

And what did it look after game five?

Hudler 31 in 59 for .53, Filppula 46 in 84 for .55

And then you consider that a large majority of their postseason careers has been spent on the same line. Excepting last season and the occasional game or shift when Flip would get promoted or Hudler demoted. Makes you wonder how the numbers would look if Hudler had been getting those promotions.

Maybe if he were a better player, he'd get these promotions. :thumbup:

Edited by Aussie_Wing, 16 May 2011 - 12:00 AM.