52 replies to this topic

#41 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 12:08 AM

Maybe if he were a better player, he'd get these promotions. :thumbup:

Before Hudler left for the KHL in 2009, there was a general consensus on this board that Hudler was better offensively, and that Flip brought better two-way play. So either everyone on this board is stupid over and over again, or you are basing your opinions about what happened in the recent past on the present. A sort of "peek-a-boo" argument, perhaps. I can't see it, it didn't happen!
"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."

#42 GSBrooks13

GSBrooks13

1st Line All-Star

• Bronze Booster
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 01:26 AM

I cut it to 33 to make it comparable to the earlier Hudler/Filppula comparison... 33 is the games played difference between the two. Guess that didn't translate.

But no, definitely, Modano should not have played. In the games he did play, he shouldn't have.

It should have been Mursak instead. Could have gone with:

Hudler/Zetterberg/Abdelkader
Holmstrom/Datsyuk/Bertuzzi
Cleary/Filppula/Mursak
Draper/Helm/Eaves

Two quick checking lines with puck skills. Hmmmm....

I completely agree. Mursak brings more speed, offensive upside, defense and forchecking than Modano does. But I can kind of understand them not wanting to hurt Modano's pride anymore by having Mursak play ahead of him, plus the likelihood of them wanting to get Mursak some more NHL time before throwing him into a situation like that.

"Push the dirt off your jersey then go for the cup or the trophy or the ring, champion no matter what."

#43 Shoreline

Shoreline

Panzerfaust

• HoF Booster
  • 12,817 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 01:30 AM

Sorry if this has been covered already but I'm really confused as to why he was a healthy scratch 9 out of 11 games? It just doesn't make sence to me at all, Abby or Miller both could/should have been benched for Modano. He's just a different kind of player, goals were what we needed and Mo never had a chance to prove he was worthy. Is this Babcocks "American" dislike we have heard about? I just find some of the choices Babs made this year questionable is all.

If you saw him play you wouldn't be asking this.

#44 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,746 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 11:48 AM

Sorry if this has been covered already but I'm really confused as to why he was a healthy scratch 9 out of 11 games? It just doesn't make sence to me at all, Abby or Miller both could/should have been benched for Modano. He's just a different kind of player, goals were what we needed and Mo never had a chance to prove he was worthy. Is this Babcocks "American" dislike we have heard about? I just find some of the choices Babs made this year questionable is all.

If that were true, then Howard wouldn't have been Detroit's starter.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#45 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,015 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 11:53 AM

Like Modano, Abby and Miller are both American.

Edited by haroldsnepsts, 16 May 2011 - 11:54 AM.

#46 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 11:00 PM

Like Modano, Abby and Miller are both American.

And from Michigan. Maybe Babcock has a thing against Americans if they didn't play college hockey?

#47 Aussie_Wing

Aussie_Wing

Mursak

• Bronze Booster
  • 8,550 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 03:29 AM

ut no, definitely, Modano should not have played. In the games he did play, he shouldn't have.

It should have been Mursak instead. Could have gone with:

Hudler/Zetterberg/Abdelkader
Holmstrom/Datsyuk/Bertuzzi
Cleary/Filppula/Mursak
Draper/Helm/Eaves

Two quick checking lines with puck skills. Hmmmm....

Now that I completely agree with. To me we should’ve had Mursak up all season; playing Modano was a waste of time when it could’ve been better spent on getting Mursak more quickly up to speed.

Edited by Aussie_Wing, 17 May 2011 - 03:29 AM.

Ken Holland: Hes (Mursak) a young guy, provides energy, can skate, hes a puck hound.

#48 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,560 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 08:21 AM

And from Michigan. Maybe Babcock has a thing against Americans if they didn't play college hockey?

Did Rafalski play college? He's popular with Babcock.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#49 pavelpasha13

pavelpasha13

Jr. Prospect

• 17 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 08:22 AM

i think if Mo could have stayed healthy all year, he could have made a big difference in the regular season and playoffs.
feed the mule

#50 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 10:41 AM

Did Rafalski play college? He's popular with Babcock.

Four years at Wisconsin-Madison.

#51 Texaswhatshisname

Texaswhatshisname

Draftee

• 1 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 03:52 PM

I understand the criticism of coming off of a long injury and being a guy whom had to adjust to a new system at the end of his career. Even for a hometown kid.

I'd like to simply mention that Mike was always an almost a point a game guy against San Jose, whom he used to play and beat all the time. Great opponent for him. And he was always good on faceoffs.

Modano's faceoff percentage in the playoffs was higher than any other Detroit team member in the 2011 playoffs. Modano won 67% of the faceoffs he took in 9 minutes of play in Game 6 and registered three shots on net.

It was a mistake not to use him in Game 7. I believe it would have made the difference with San Jose. (How many faceoffs were lost in Game 7?).

And Detroit's overall discipline would've made for a better series opponent for Vancouver.

#52 Shoreline

Shoreline

Panzerfaust

• HoF Booster
  • 12,817 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 05:18 PM

I understand the criticism of coming off of a long injury and being a guy whom had to adjust to a new system at the end of his career. Even for a hometown kid.

I'd like to simply mention that Mike was always an almost a point a game guy against San Jose, whom he used to play and beat all the time. Great opponent for him. And he was always good on faceoffs.

Modano's faceoff percentage in the playoffs was higher than any other Detroit team member in the 2011 playoffs. Modano won 67% of the faceoffs he took in 9 minutes of play in Game 6 and registered three shots on net.

It was a mistake not to use him in Game 7. I believe it would have made the difference with San Jose. (How many faceoffs were lost in Game 7?).

And Detroit's overall discipline would've made for a better series opponent for Vancouver.

I can understand what you mean about what Mo brought offensively, especially given the Red Wings lacked on the power play, however, Mo was quite a defensive liability against the Sharks grit and size, looked hobbled, and surely something the Sharks would have taken advantage of. I don't believe it's a fair assessment to think of the series as ending differently if Mo played Game 7.

#53 dragonballgtz

dragonballgtz

Yu-Gi-HOE

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,429 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 07:18 PM

Mo looked like he was about to die damn near after every shift. Hell even after one good burst of speed that was it for him. His stamina was a major concern I think for Babs.