Photo
- - - - -

Time for a new Job?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Duck Guy

Duck Guy

Homer rocks your socks off Its knuckle Puck time!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,526 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 11:27 PM

So, I have been working at Home Depot (hardware store) by my house for about 3 years now. When I first started it was pretty cool. Awesome people, awesome managment and cool hours. But now alot of people I liked have been fired or just quit. And i just grown to dislike the place manamgement and the customers (i know all retail has customer interraction) And the management is horrid compared to what it used to be. Now alot of my other freinds there where talking about in August they are gone. So i figured maybe I should look for another job now since alot of people are leaving (who i will miss alot) sure i will talk to them on facebook and stuff but the place wont be the same.. Now the only thing holding me back is that i get 40hrs a week with a set scheldule (11:45-8:30) I make about 600$ every 2 weeks. I do not expect a set scheldule where i go next but I figured maybe I it is my time to move on also... I know in the end it is on me but Iam just not sure what to do...

I was also thinking that my 3 years of experience in retail would help me out a little looking for a job... maybe i should start going to school and just take less hours from work?... decisions decisions...*some info about me* (Iam 23 right now and in 2 years i get 100k inhearitance and I also already have a house paid off in my name currently renting out) not sure if that should affect me desicion...

---I wouldent quit my job tell i had a new job or knew I will be going to school 100%

thanks for any insight

Edited by Duck Guy, 14 May 2011 - 11:34 PM.

Posted Image
Veritas Aequitas

#2 Jenny

Jenny

Geeky Goalie Girl

• PipPipPip
  • 542 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 07:12 AM

What are your long-term goals? That's something you need to consider, too.

In your situation, I think I would cut to part time hours and start going to school, assuming you can get by on part time pay until your inheritance shows up.

Whatever you wind up doing, you may also want to look into some sort of practical money management course so you don't get overwhelmed by your inheritance. You don't want to wind up like those lottery winners who blow through the whole jackpot in a few years!

Best of luck to you. :)

detroit-skyline.jpg

My priorities: 1-Hockey. 2-Sleep. 3-Food. 4-Everything Else.

No, Ozzie is NOT the Breakfast Wizard!" -- my husband

#3 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 07:43 PM

I had a similar situation when I worked a job at an amusement park my last few years in high school and the summer when I came home after my first year in college. I absolutely loved just about everybody I worked with when I started out, became close friends with a few people there, and while I don't see any of them anymore now 10-15 years later face to face, I keep in touch with them, know what they are up to in life, etc. I was at that job maybe a total of 3 1/2 years or so and eventually I just felt seasoned, didn't open up as much to the newer people working there, was doing the same things, and so forth. Basically just ran out of much motivation to do it anymore. My advice to you is if you want to stay working there, I'd look for advancement and pay opportunities. If not, try to reduce your hours or possibly go back to school to figure something else out.

#4 WizardOfOz30

WizardOfOz30

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,726 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 08:51 PM

As Jenny said I'd say figure out what your long term goals are and start pursuing school for that. You could always stay there part time until you find something that you like better, maybe even in the field you're interested in. I would say make sure you figure out a good investment for that money so you can make the most of it, it's a nice start to save for your future and retirement.

Good luck!

Posted Image

Thanks Offsides

"If I could sum up my career in Detroit, I was a perfect goalie for the team at the perfect time. I just wanted to be a Red Wing, that's it." Chris Osgood, July 19, 2011

#5 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,738 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 10:07 PM

Free advice is free. Take it for what it's worth.

Do not touch your inheritance. Invest it and do not touch no matter what. Forget it exists until you are 65 (or whatever age you retire).

As for the job, I couldn't do it. If I worked in any sort of a home improvement store, I'd end up owing my entire paycheck. I'm a freak that way.

I've had jobs I hated, and jobs that got boring. I've had jobs with close friends and with buttmunches. If you don't mind the job itself, wait it out and see what sort of people they hire. Remember that everyone is an idiot for at least a month, and give the new ones a chance. If that many people are leaving, see if there is room for advancement.

I don't know what the job scene is like in California, but if it is tough to land a job, you may just have to learn to make the best of things.

Experience is always a plus when looking for a job. Whatever you choose, work extra hard at the job you have now. It will either make you a more valuable employee should you choose to stay, or get you a good reference should you choose to move on.

Best of luck!

Money on the board:  Current total: $6

$1 for a goal by any current Wing after whom I have named a hamster.  An additional $5 for a series-clinching goal scored by any current Wing after whom I have named a hamster. $5 if the other team fails to score against a current Wing goalie after whom I have named a hamster.

Hamsters I have had:  (current Wings highlighted)

Henrik Pavel Tomas Nicklas Dominik

Niklas Matthew Daniel Robert

Johan Andreas Valtteri Jonathan

Andrew Patrick Ian Todd

Jordin Damien Gustav James

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users