No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Grayne Wetzky

Jaromir Jagr

Rate this topic

Guest Grayne Wetzky

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS

Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Daniel Cleary ($2.800m)

Todd Bertuzzi ($1.937m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Johan Franzen ($3.954m)

Jiri Hudler ($2.875m) / Jaromir Jagr ($5.000m) / Tomas Tatar ($0.870m)

Justin Abdelkader ($0.787m) / Darren Helm ($0.912m) / Tomas Holmstrom ($1.875m)

Patrick Eaves ($0.750m) / Jan Mursak ($0.550m)

DEFENSEMEN

Nicklas Lidstrom ($5.000m) / Brad Stuart ($3.750m)

Niklas Kronwall ($3.000m) / Brian Rafalski ($6.000m)

Jakub Kindl ($0.883m) / Ruslan Salei ($1.000m)

Logan Pyett ($0.950m)

GOALTENDERS

Jimmy Howard ($2.250m) / Thomas McCollum ($0.816m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $62,200,000; CAP PAYROLL: $61,745,377; BONUSES: $210,000

CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $454,623

I wonder if Lidstrom and Jagr would be willing to take about 2 million less than they are worth on the open market. Probably not, but is there a way the Wings could get Jagr?

are team already stays at a retirement home right? They just have one of those old person buses shuttle back and fourth to the joe. Thats why we dont fight or anything, dont wanna break a hip. HE WOULD BE A GREAT ADDITION!!!

Guest Shoreline

He was a good player but overpaid and like Fedorov and Kovalev way too prone to spells of underachieving, not the kind of guy that looks like he'd be what the Wings look for on the ice or in the locker room.

people are so silly. I mean, i'm no Jagr fan (its hard to like anyone with an association to a Jofa helmet and a crazy mullet to boot) but to answer the simple question, "would Jaromir Jagr help the Wings?" the simple answer is yes. The detailed answer comes in when you are taking into account his salary, and who else was available with that salary.

Jagr's last 3 seasons in the NHL:

71 pts.

25 goals.

Now sure, his numbers declined each year - but how can you ever justify a pure goal scorer capable of putting up 70+ points can not *help* the wings. Of course, this is all relative. Who did we pass up for him? Who did we not sign because we didn't have cap space left? Most people assume that if Holland were to sign Jagr for 1 year 3 mil, it was a huge f*** up because Richards was ready to sign on the dotted line for 3.2 mil/4 years.

But - if the premise of the question is would our current lineup be better if Jagr was in it, then you can't say anything but a resounding YES. How can you argue with a little more Jagr, and a little less Abdelkader or Hudler?

I get sad sometimes when I hear Wings fans fall victim to the rest of the goats who preach that the last thing the Red Wings need is an aging vet. "The Red Wings are too old" is THE ONLY THING I HAVE KNOWN MY ENTIRE LIFE SPAN AS A RED WINGS FAN. Seriously....shouldn't you guys know better 20 straight playoff appearances later?

If Jagr ended up on our roster, that means Holland and Co. did their due diligence and the sick/nasty Jagr that has torn up the NHL would probably continue to do so in the Winged Wheel.

For the curious, I looked up his KHL stats real quick.

55/56gp 25g 28a 53pts

51/56gp 22g 20a 42pts

49/56gp 19g 32a 51pts

Last year he was his team leader in all categories (didnt check other years).

Someone will probably argue how much of a joke the KHL is and that their grandma could score 20 goals in the league. And for them, well they just dont have a grasp on hockey is all. Some players games translate to other leagues, others dont. (p.s. thats exactly what scouts are hired for - to figure that out!) Jagr's game obviously translates.

Kind of a crazy sidenote I just saw on wikipedia:

"Jaromír Jágr was sitting next to Alexei Cherepanov when Cherepanov, a first-round pick of the Rangers, died. They were discussing the past shift when Cherepanov collapsed right into Jágr on the bench at the Ice Hockey Center 2004 arena."

I didn't know that. Pretty insane. NYR have been one of the more unfortunate teams with player deaths.

Another Old Geezer is not what this team needs. I wouldn't sign Jagr for $250,000. It's fine to get a player like him but as I've said I truly believe this team needs to get younger.

Between you, me and the man in the moon, I wouldn't pay him $2.50 - in fact, I'd make him pay us for the privilege to play here.

Based on listening to Holland on the radio this morning, the Wings are definitely looking at getting younger, not older, so I think that would pretty much rule out bringing Jagr on board.

Edited by toby91_ca

As someone who in the past has wanted to get old superstars to fill depth roles on the team (Modano, Hasek) I think Jagr would be a terrible idea. Where would you put him? On the 3rd line? I don't think I would want to hold down one of speedy young players for him. Plus, there's no guarantee he'll be anywhere near the way he was even in 2008. His numbers were declining 3 years ago, I can't imagine what they'd be like now.