40 replies to this topic

#41 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 01:45 PM

For all of those saying the team needs to get younger;

Jan Mursak has no more waiver options, so he will definitely be on the team next year as Modano's replacement. We also have Cory Emmerton, who is NHL-ready and also out of options. So he has a good shot at the roster, possibly replacing Drew Miller or Kris Draper.

Now we factor in Jagr. If we assume Draper is returning, Emmerton is probably gone and Jagr takes that spot. If Draper retires, Jagr takes Draper's spot and Emmerton gets the last spot on the roster. Miller would be a constant scratch, while he could get a deal with another team (Buffalo?) to play regularly.

So let's break this down by age. We've taken out Modano, Draper, and Miller and replaced them with Jagr, Mursak, and Emmerton.

Jagr is two years younger than Modano.

Over fourteen forwards, that's an average of 0.1 years younger among forwards if Draper stays and we replace Mo with Jagr; 0.4 if Emmerton replaces Miller. Draper retiring, the Wings keeping Miller and not signing Jagr is 2.5 years younger. But Miller is the 13th forward if he stays in any situation, so the difference in his age against Jagr's doesn't make that much difference. And it's likely that he would come at a cheaper price than the $5m that has been tossed around in this thread. I wouldn't expect Holland to sign him for more than $2m-$3m. How many "young" free agent forwards who bring anything close to Jagr's skill level would sign near that cap hit? My bet is on the number zero.

"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."