• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Chelios57

Chelios57

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 07:08 PM

I'm having a hell of a time finding pictures from the early Cup-winning teams. I've pretty much found the 50's ones, but even ones from the 50's and 36/37 teams are hard to distinguish what year it ACTUALLY is. I haven't found a single picture of the '43 team with the Cup.

I probably should also mention I'm looking for pictures of the teams WITH the Cup only! I'm not interested in a picture unless the Stanley Cup is in it as well.

Help is appreciated/needed!
Atlanta Thrashers: 1999-2011

WINTER CLASSIC 2013

"When you want to measure yourself, you don't measure yourself against, no disrespect to TORONTO or any other team that I can think of right now, you measure yourself against the Detroit Red Wings. They are the best in the league, and whether they won last year's Cup or didn't win last year's Cup, they're the measuring stick." - Bruce Boudreau

#2 Chelios57

Chelios57

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 11:49 AM

I've found some images, my main problem is different websites claiming different years.

Posted Image
(I've seen this one claimed as '36 and '37?)

Posted Image

Posted Image
(I think this is '54)

Posted Image
(I think this is '55)

Posted Image
(I think this is '50)

Posted Image
(Not really sure what year this is at all)

WINTER CLASSIC 2013

"When you want to measure yourself, you don't measure yourself against, no disrespect to TORONTO or any other team that I can think of right now, you measure yourself against the Detroit Red Wings. They are the best in the league, and whether they won last year's Cup or didn't win last year's Cup, they're the measuring stick." - Bruce Boudreau

#3 Chelios57

Chelios57

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 04:52 PM

I know I'm having this convo with myself, but I can confirm (with fair confidence) the second picture is 1936.

WINTER CLASSIC 2013

#4 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 07:15 PM

THere's a cool video out there, about 50 seconds I think of the '37 crew celebrating on ice with the cup. I saved it to my computer but it's not working at the moment and I can't figure out why. Otherwise you have to pay a hefty fee (50 bucks I think) for this one minute clip from a stock video company.

I'll do some checking on those photos and see if I can't lock down a date for you, too. Some of those are in a few Wings books I have, and I'd trust the books over websites, though even those can be mistaken.

Edited by VM1138, 16 May 2011 - 07:17 PM.

Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#5 Detroit40oz

Detroit40oz

Rookie

• Pip
  • 107 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 07:26 PM

I got this back in 1998 at a signing, definitely 1943 on this one.

I cant find the same picture online anywhere though.

Posted Image

#6 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,919 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 07:37 PM

I've found some images, my main problem is different websites claiming different years.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
(I think this is '54)

Posted Image
(I think this is '55)

Posted Image
(I think this is '50)

Posted Image
(Not really sure what year this is at all)

The last one has to be 1952. Abel's last cup with the Wings was 1952, and Sawchuk wasn't the starter in 1950, Lumley was.
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#7 hooon

hooon

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,223 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 07:43 PM

Very cool pictures.
Posted Image

#8 Chelios57

Chelios57

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 10:21 PM

The last one has to be 1952. Abel's last cup with the Wings was 1952, and Sawchuk wasn't the starter in 1950, Lumley was.

Good call. Didn't even think about that.

THere's a cool video out there, about 50 seconds I think of the '37 crew celebrating on ice with the cup. I saved it to my computer but it's not working at the moment and I can't figure out why. Otherwise you have to pay a hefty fee (50 bucks I think) for this one minute clip from a stock video company.

I'll do some checking on those photos and see if I can't lock down a date for you, too. Some of those are in a few Wings books I have, and I'd trust the books over websites, though even those can be mistaken.

That'd be awesome. I can't find a single image of the '37 or '43 teams with the Cup in hand.

WINTER CLASSIC 2013