• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
The Russian Rocket

Notable Restricted/Unrestricted Free Agents in 2011

Rate this topic

The Red Wings are going to need to pick up a few players for next season and here's some notable players that will be available this offseason. I was just wondering if you think that the Red Wings should try and make a run at any of these guys:

R=Restricted Free Agent

UN=Unrestricted Free Agent

Teemu Selanne(UN)

Michael Ryder (UN)

Nathan Gerbe ®

Rob Niedermayer (UN)

Fredrik Modin (UN)

Brendan Morrison (UN)

Alex Tanguay (UN)

Erik Cole (UN)

Jussi Jokinen (UN)

Troy Brouwer ®

Tomas Kopecky (UN)

Adam Foote (UN)

Brad Richards (UN)

Tomas Kaberle ®

Ray Emery (UN)

Blake Wheeler ®

Marty Turco ®

Peter Budaj (UN)

Milan Hejduk (UN)

Sergei Samsonov (UN)

Tomas Vokoun (UN)

Drew Doughty ®

Andrew Brunette (UN)

John Madden (UN)

Jose Theodore (UN)

Hal Gill (UN)

Roman Hamrlik (UN)

Brent Sopel (UN)

James Wisniewski (UN)

Shea Weber ®

Zack Parise ®

Kyle Okposo ®

Evgeni Nabokov (UN)

Doug Weight (UN)

Ryan Callahan ®

Brandon Dubinsky ®

Ruslan Fedotenko (UN)

Vaclav Prospal (UN)

Brian Boucher (UN)

Villie Leino (UN)

Keith Yandle ®

Ed Jovanovski (UN)

Pascal Dupuis (UN)

Alexei Kovalev (UN)

Devin Setoguchi ®

Ty Conklin (UN)

Steven Stamkos ®

Simon Gagne (UN)

Jean Sebastien Giguere (UN)

Christian Ehrhoff (UN)

Jason Arnott (UN)

Mike Knuble (UN)

Michael Nylander (UN)

Restricted free agents, I feel, are out of the question since Kenny believes the path to success in todays NHL is to build through the draft and thus keep draft picks (excellent job on their end to lobby the nhl to position draft positions by the result of the playoffs, not regular season).

For s***s and giggles, of those ® players, the ones I would think he would maybe consider would be:

Weber

Callahan

Setoguchi

I would love Okposo, Doughty and Parise as well.

Is Kaberle really restricted? I don't think he is, and if he isn't - I wouldn't be terribly suprised if many people here woke up shocked one morning to learn that we have signed him.

Other than that, slim pickens this year. And i'm ok with that considering next year is the year that the wings will be looking for a new identity.

But we will need to roster a few guys -

back up goalies I think have a legit chance at being here next season are conklin and boucher. I would LOVE vokoun but I think Jimmy showed enough to give Holland confidence is solidifying him as a legit starter. And we like our goalies cheap anyways.

Guys that dont belong on that list are Selanne, Knuble, Hejduk, Nabokov and Foote as they are all literally or figurtivaly off the market.

As for forwards and D, I am really at a loss this year. No names jump out at me and we are at such a weird "pre"transition phase. None of those players we want long term - but we will have to sign someone. I dunno...Hamrlik could make sense. I like Gagne but I know he is oft-injured. So ya, who else has ideas?

What I would like the Red Wings to pursue:

1. Top-six scoring winger OR a solid third line center that would allow Filppula to play on Pav's wing. (Probably not Abdelkader or Helm)

2. Solid seasoned veteran bottom pairing defensive defenseman. (Not Ericsson)

3. Smart and safe puck moving defenseman for the third pair. (Probably not Ericsson or Kindl)

4. Someone to keep the flies off.

(5.) Perhaps a backup goalie other than Ozzie but I feel like Ozzie has one more redemption run in him by backup goalie standards.

EDIT: To me, that's the ideal. I realistically hope they get at least a couple of those.

Edited by Red Wings Addict

Laich, Prospal, Frolov. Any two of these three would be fine by me for forwards if Draper/ Miller/ Modano are all let go.

Hejda, Vandermeer, or Hamrlik. Any two of those three would make suitable replacements for Ericsson and Salei. Even getting one of those guys would be an upgrade over both those two.

I feel like sooo many players these days are signing long term deals with their teams...it really has made FA seasons dull.

Howz about Radulov over in the K? Or Hossa.2? he's tearin it up in the K as well. I'm only half joking as I just don't see anything on the market it this year. Hell, while we're at it - how the heck is Markov doing these days? I kind of miss the guy.

Kaberle is UFA, not RFA.

Nabokov is not a UFA; the Islanders will be tolling his contract and he agreed not to object to it in order to play in the world championships.

Adam Foote is officially retired.

Those are the only corrections I can see. As for actions, I would start by finding out Nick Lidstrom's intent; whether he wants to play. I would regardless go out and sign Joni Pitkanen, hopefully both Pitkanen and Ehrhoff (to replace Salei and Ericsson) as well as retaining Eaves and Osgood, and promoting Emmerton and Mursak.

Kevin Bieksa, Andrei Markov, Tomas Kaberle, Ian White, Grant Clitsome, Anton Babchuk are other names that come to mind.

WHat's the story with Blake WHeeler? I haven't seen him play, only the highlight goals.

He's got great size and suppossedly great hands, why doesn't his name come up at all? WHat's his story?

Guest Heaten

I don't expect Holland to make many changes this off season if Lidstrom re-signs. Kenny will probably go after a 'Conklin' type backup and re-sign Draper and Ericsson. I expect to see Kindl and Ericsson and a depth #7 to rotate if one of these guys flounder. Draper or Miller will be the13th man in rotation with one of Mursak/Emmerton. Eaves probably signs another 1 year deal.

Hudler and Filppula will probably anchor the 3rd line with Abdelkader on the wing. And Mursak/Helm/Emmerton(or Draper/Miller in rotation) will probably be the 4th line.

D will proabably look like this::

Kronwall/Stuart

Lidstrom/Kindl

Ericsson/Rafi

(you could switch Kindl and Ericcson).

I doubt Holland does much this off season. He might re-sign Salei (or find another cheap Lilja type guy for depth) and a cheap backup goalie. I doubt he signs any FA forwards.

Guest Grayne Wetzky

The guy I'd really like to see the Wings get NEXT year is Matt Carle from Philidelphia. I'm big on that guy.

The guy I'd really like to see the Wings get NEXT year is Matt Carle from Philidelphia. I'm big on that guy.

Carle is possible, but only if he comes in as a UFA after next season. Meszaros is the more likely trade acquisition; Stuart and a pick for Mesz would do nicely I think.

Guest Crymson

Laich, Prospal, Frolov. Any two of these three would be fine by me for forwards if Draper/ Miller/ Modano are all let go.

Babcock dislikes Prospal, Frolov signed with the KHL (and totally sucks), and I think Washington is very unlikely to let Laich go; he's the sort of example-setting guy every team wants.

Carle is possible, but only if he comes in as a UFA after next season. Meszaros is the more likely trade acquisition; Stuart and a pick for Mesz would do nicely I think.

How about we trade Hudler and a pick instead?

Yes, because Konner knows everything :rolleyes:

The offer-sheet needed to sign Weber would cost the Wings four first round picks (two first round, a second, and a third if you believe Nashville won't match 6.5 million). Not only is this not a deal Holland would likely make because of how draft picks are valued, but Nashville would be crazy not to match any offer under 7 million. If anyone seriously believes Weber will be a Wing next year, I'll start taking that bet.

The only UFA/RFA's I'd like to see the Wings go after are gritty forwards/d. The talented players are going to be looking to get as much of that cap raise as possible, and there won't be many deals. Konopka and Peckham are two players I would like. As far as forward talent is concerned, Franzen would need to be traded.

Curtis Glencross please, and everyone saying get frolov. Why would anyone want that garbage player, hes been sooo bad. Plus hes heading off to KHL anyways.

Edit: Yeah nevermind calgary just signed him for 3 years.

Edited by Bryguy

The offer-sheet needed to sign Weber would cost the Wings four first round picks (two first round, a second, and a third if you believe Nashville won't match 6.5 million). Not only is this not a deal Holland would likely make because of how draft picks are valued, but Nashville would be crazy not to match any offer under 7 million. If anyone seriously believes Weber will be a Wing next year, I'll start taking that bet.

The only UFA/RFA's I'd like to see the Wings go after are gritty forwards/d. The talented players are going to be looking to get as much of that cap raise as possible, and there won't be many deals. Konopka and Peckham are two players I would like. As far as forward talent is concerned, Franzen would need to be traded.

Not that I'm not in agreement, but doesn't Nashville also have a self imposed cap?