Isn't Eric Brewer a UFA?

I didn't see him on the list.

#62 Heaten

Heaten

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 12:29 PM

Holland will have a good amount of cap space, and the D has underperformed for three seasons (McCrimmon was not fired for no reason) so I fully expect Holland to be looking at acquiring a higher end defenseman if possible, and those guys are at the top of the list for UFAs. The current top four will all be UFA at the end of 2012, which is a huge problem; Lidstrom and Rafalski will retire at that point, Stuart may not come back, and Kronwall will require a serious raise if he doesn't bolt. One, possibly two could be acquired. All three are under-30 and would be locked up for a few years at a decent contract.

But Holland won't just be looking at defense. He'll be looking at forwards also. Some under-30 forwards who should end up at $3m or less are Brooks Laich (popular choice here), Jussi Jokinen, Scottie Upshall. Abdelkader/Helm/Upshall? Sounds good to me. Or there's everyone's favorite former Red Wing; Tomas Kopecky. Jokinen's the only one who doesn't bring a physical game, and he instead is another speedy, highly skilled defensive forward with good puck skills.

Finally, if Holland pays Ericsson $2.5m per year, Ericsson better take Stuart's job, and Stuart better be traded for a solid grinding forward and the kind of defenseman Salei USED to be.

Stuart is, at best, equal with Meszaros. Meszaros is seven years younger and costs about the same. Given Lids and Raf are about to retire, and we need to rebuild the D corps, I'd rather a player on the way up than a player on the way down. Stu in three years will look like Salei does now. Meszaros may be inconsistent, but he's getting better and will be a solid, stable all around defenseman in a year or two. The kind you can rely on in all situations.

He'll probably get around $3m.

Brooks Laich will get serious over payment this offseason. Holland doesn't chase players to overpay them. You seriously want to trade Stuart if Ericsson re-signs for almost $1.5 million less than Stuart, because you think Ericsson should play like a $4 million dollar defensemen? I fail to see your logic.

You say Wings' defense has underachieved while still being in the middle of the pack, despite have sophomore goalie woes, injury plagued season, and a third string backup goalie. This team, as is, is a serious cup contender. I think it'd be in Holland's best interest to save cap space and get in on the trade deadline frenzy. Trade deadline is when the best deals are had in the salary cap world. Save the cap space and improve the team later if needed.

Holland's weakness has been spending to cap every year. Two words: Trade.Deadline

#63 egroen

egroen

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 01:04 PM

Brooks Laich will get serious over payment this offseason. Holland doesn't chase players to overpay them. You seriously want to trade Stuart if Ericsson re-signs for almost $1.5 million less than Stuart, because you think Ericsson should play like a $4 million dollar defensemen? I fail to see your logic.

You say Wings' defense has underachieved while still being in the middle of the pack, despite have sophomore goalie woes, injury plagued season, and a third string backup goalie. This team, as is, is a serious cup contender. I think it'd be in Holland's best interest to save cap space and get in on the trade deadline frenzy. Trade deadline is when the best deals are had in the salary cap world. Save the cap space and improve the team later if needed.

Holland's weakness has been spending to cap every year. Two words: Trade.Deadline

I prefer spending to the cap -

Gives the players all year to mesh and for coaches to try out lines
Do not lose assets for a "rental"
Trade deadline targets are so hit or miss, who knows what will be available and how high demand might be
Red Kelly #4 and Larry Aurie #6 belong in the rafters!!!

"For my game, I don't need to score the goal," Konstantinov once explained. "I need someone to start thinking about me and forgetting about scoring goals."

#64 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,529 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 05:42 AM

Kaberle? Really? You want a soft defenseman without defensive skill, one whom Leafs fans didn't even like? If you dislike Rafalski, then why would you want Kaberle? The latter is far worse defensively.

Leaf fans also hated Murphy, and he worked out just fine in Detroit ;)

As for Kaberle he's a better player than most think - although I gotta admit he hasn't been too impressive so far in a Bruins sweater...He's a player I could see Holland possibly target if Lidstrom were to retire.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#65 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 02:14 PM

Isn't Eric Brewer a UFA?

I didn't see him on the list.

Yeah, I'd take him in a second. Again, fills that need for the Wings. Big defenseman who actually uses his frame, so not to bring this up but someone not like Ericsson :lol:
TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.

#66 Ozzie30

Ozzie30

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 05:04 PM

Okay now who replaces raffi?
RIP #24

#67 Rick Zombos Ghost

Rick Zombos Ghost

the jerk store

• PipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 05:19 PM

Man, Lidstrom and Weber would be pretty fun to watch on the PP together..... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

#68 brett

brett

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,974 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 07:20 PM

weber and doughty looking better and better now that raffy is gone. cap space is surely there now.

Edited by brett, 23 May 2011 - 07:20 PM.

#69 Off the Post

Off the Post

Rookie

• Pip
  • 136 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 07:52 PM

Milan Hejduk please.

#70 e_prime

e_prime

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 08:14 PM

Hejduk is neither restricted nor unrestricted.
He is also not a defenseman, which is where this thread has gone in the last few posts.

Maybe you're suggesting we trade our Czech for theirs?

...just trying to help. :cool:
(AtomicPunk @ February 4, 2010 - 12:16AM)

Imma let you finish, and your cap numbers are all good and all that, but imma let Kenny figure it out. Kenny's cap numbers were the best cap numbers this year.

#71 10 Minute Misconduct

10 Minute Misconduct

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,551 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 11:14 PM

Trade Hudler and sign Upshall. Can't believe he's not on the list.

Posted Image

#72 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,689 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 11:32 PM

Milan Hejduk please.

Re-signed with Colorado.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#73 clutchngrab

clutchngrab

clutchngrab

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,572 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 11:51 PM

obv theyre unrealistic. theyre just players i would love to see on the wings. didnt know putting a thumbs up next to a plyers name meant it was realistic and it was going to happen

I want to win the lottery...What's wrong with posting that?

weber and doughty looking better and better now that raffy is gone. cap space is surely there now.

RFA's just don't make sense - especially with a very expensive Weber and a post-concussed Doughty. Please - can we be a little more realistic? Thank you.
Are you kidding? Block you? And miss watching you stumble around the forum looking for an argument like a dog sniffing butts? It would be like turning off a bad episode of Jerry Springer. You know you shouldn't be watching, but you just... can't... help... it...

#74 egroen

egroen

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 01:00 AM

Canucks might try and trade Ballard in an attempt to keep both Erhoff and Bieksa.

"For my game, I don't need to score the goal," Konstantinov once explained. "I need someone to start thinking about me and forgetting about scoring goals."

#75 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,689 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 01:02 AM

Canucks might try and trade Ballard in an attempt to keep both Erhoff and Bieksa.

I've always liked Keith Ballard. Not #1 on my list, but he can throw a hell of a hipcheck. Brent Burns or James Wisniewski, please.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#76 clutchngrab

clutchngrab

clutchngrab

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,572 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 11:23 PM

Rentals are so pre-cap
Are you kidding? Block you? And miss watching you stumble around the forum looking for an argument like a dog sniffing butts? It would be like turning off a bad episode of Jerry Springer. You know you shouldn't be watching, but you just... can't... help... it...

#77 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,336 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 11:31 PM

WHat's the story with Blake WHeeler? I haven't seen him play, only the highlight goals.

He's got great size and suppossedly great hands, why doesn't his name come up at all? WHat's his story?

His problem is between his ears.
Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft

#78 mmamolo

mmamolo

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,809 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 08:08 AM

Leaf fans also hated Murphy, and he worked out just fine in Detroit ;)

As for Kaberle he's a better player than most think - although I gotta admit he hasn't been too impressive so far in a Bruins sweater...He's a player I could see Holland possibly target if Lidstrom were to retire.

I dont know if you've watched him or not so I'm not passing judgment on you. But I've watched him for years as I live in TOronto and the guy is god awful defensively. He is so weak on the puck and he gets pushed around all day long. It's pathetic.

NMC I believe, or at a minimum NTC
Posted Imagewww.unsportsmanlike.ca

#79 egroen

egroen

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 08:40 AM

I think Ballard has one of those restricted NTCs...

#80 blgillett

blgillett

Stevie the one and only Captian

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 09:59 AM

What do u guys think r the chances of us signing weber?

0% he is restricted Preds will match what we offer they r not going to let him go to someone in same conf.
"He was standing there like a cigar store Indian" Mickey Redmond
"Holmstrom gets more attention around the net than a pretty girl around closing time!" Mickey Redmond
IPB Image