Photo
- - - - -

Which conference would you rather have the Wings in?

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 weGotTheCup89

weGotTheCup89

This is for the Wings fans!

• PipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 05:26 PM

With the rumor that the Thrashers might leave for Winnipeg, regardless of what team would actually be chosen to go to the Eastern Conference, where would you rather have the Wings play and why?

And what would you miss most about the Western Conference if the team were to switch?
Q: Of all the individual trophies you have not won, which one would you most like to win?
Datsyuk: I have so many of them that I haven't won. I think I would most like to win a trophy to the best goaltending duo.

#2 Shoreline

Shoreline

Panzerfaust

• HoF Booster
  • 12,817 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 05:35 PM

Have thought Eastern for a good while now. It's not beneficial to the Red Wings at all to play in the Western Conference as far as times and travel are concerned.

There are a couple reasons to keep them in the West.. like how the Wings tend to draw big crowds, but honestly I don't care.

#3 hankzet40

hankzet40

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,739 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 05:50 PM

I think the East but it would suck for fans out here because that would mean they'd come here less instead of the two times a year now.

#4 Wings4Life19

Wings4Life19

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 05:51 PM

Let's go east, Im sick of the 40 articles that pop up about travel when the playoffs start. But I would miss the wings coming out to play the avs twice a year, that's the only opportunities I get to see them live

#5 CaliWingsNut

CaliWingsNut

PeeWee Bettman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 05:54 PM

West...
for one, there's a greater chance I get to see them :)

but also... I believe the western conference is move competitive and consists of better teams. Being the best is only possible by regularly facing good competition and improving. I don't think the wings will suck for being in the East, but I'd rather them regularly fight for their rank.

Edit:
Also the east has gotten much rougher in recent years. Pittsburgh and the Islanders were the PIM leaders this year. Brian Burke (and his love of rough players), Pronger, and Boogaard (RIP) are examples of rough playing moving east. The wings don't play this style and I don't want to see our players facing them. We get enough injuries as it is.

Edited by CaliWingsNut, 16 May 2011 - 06:02 PM.

Figures don't lie, but liars sure figure. - Mark Twain

#6 T-Ruff

T-Ruff

BAMF

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 06:13 PM

The travel difference in the Eastern conference playoffs would help immensely IMO. Other bonusesinclude more games against original 6 teams and teams like Pittsburgh, Washington, Tampa, Philly, etc.

I'd miss late night games and games against Chicago, St. Louis, Vancouver, and some other Western teams but overall I think it's definitely in the Wings' best interests to be in the East.

#7 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,333 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 06:17 PM

East. No more games starting later than 8.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#8 Gordie Howe hat trick

Gordie Howe hat trick

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 06:48 PM

The west is stronger than the east as a whole, and I rather that they play with the stronger teams. Especially when it comes down to playoff time.
"If a guy slashed me, I'd grab his stick, pull him up alongside me and elbow him in the head."

-Gordon "Gordie" Howe-

Overall 3 Gordie Howe hat trick 113 points
2011 playoff pick game

#9 wingfanatic4alltime

wingfanatic4alltime

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,132 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 06:58 PM

Im gonna say east for the travel in this playoff alone had we beaten san jose we would have had to travel to Phoenix, San Jose, and Vancouver thats a lot of damn travel, plus im staying up until 1 am is really getting old lol.
IN KENNY WE TRUST!!

#10 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,817 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 06:59 PM

East.

Less travel and more sleep.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#11 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 07:06 PM

East without a doubt.

#12 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,559 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 07:12 PM

All the rumors are so contradictory. I read in the Freep today that Devellano confirmed that no matter what happens, the WIngs will be in the West next season, but after that who knows. Yet the NHL won't guarantee that Atlanta will be in Atlanta as early as next season. So...somewhere there is a disconnect in all this.

Edited by VM1138, 16 May 2011 - 07:13 PM.

Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#13 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,938 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 07:43 PM

I'm good either was since I live between Toronto and Detroit. I do however like the West and the rivalries we've built.
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#14 xtrememachine1

xtrememachine1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,433 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 08:20 PM

All the rumors are so contradictory. I read in the Freep today that Devellano confirmed that no matter what happens, the WIngs will be in the West next season, but after that who knows. Yet the NHL won't guarantee that Atlanta will be in Atlanta as early as next season. So...somewhere there is a disconnect in all this.

I was thinking the same thing. My thoughts are that Jimmy D doesn't think it will happen quick enough. The NHL is drafting up two schedules, one with Winnipeg and the other Atlanta. Really hope that the Wings get moved to the East though. No more insane late games, play the original 6 teams more often, I'll get to see them in person more often. Not to mention we won't have to put up with that gauntlet just to get the friggin Finals.

#15 BigWillieStyle

BigWillieStyle

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 08:58 PM

East. No question about it. It'll be great that they can take the train to Toronto, just like the old days.

As for realignment, on Hotstove, they mentioned that it would not be possible for this coming season because the BOG would have to vote on it within the next month and it wouldn't be possible to get a bunch of really rich guys together in that short amount of time to vote.

I'm thinking that some of the Western owners are going to do whatever they can to keep The Wings coming to their barns 4 -6 times per year. Of course I'm expecting the same feelings from Eastern owners.

#16 Broken 16

Broken 16

Bonecrushing Blueliner

• Gold Booster
  • 2,959 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 09:17 PM

Eastern.

Montreal, Toronto, New York, Boston. That is all. As far as Chicago goes, see ya, wouldn't want to be ya.

#17 South Dakota wings fan

South Dakota wings fan

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 09:21 PM

I hope Atlanta moves to Winnipeg. But I'm very conflicted on re-alignment. I wish the Red Wings were in the East because they would have less wear and tear from travel, and less sleep deprived fans during the playoffs. But I have a hard time believing the NHL is going to move Detroit before they allow CBJ to move East. CBJ is farther east. That's a fact. If Detroit moves, that leaves only 1 original six team in the west. That's a fact. CBJ is hemorraghing money right now. Another fact. Partly because of bad arena leases (a common theme in the league right now), but travel costs are killing them too. They would have a natural rivalry with Pittsburgh, and maybe even Philly. Ultimately, the NHL is a better league if all of its teams are financially stable, and this may help one of those struggling teams. Plus, trading CBJ and Atlanta is a fairly even swap in terms of strength of teams. Another fact.

On a selfish note, if the Thrashers move to Manitoba, I hope the Wild join the central division. Then the Wings would make 3 trips to St. Paul instead of 2, giving me an extra chance to see them play. Minny, Chicago, St. Louis, Detroit, and Nashville would be a great division.

#18 CenterIce

CenterIce

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,989 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 09:37 PM

I hope Atlanta moves to Winnipeg. But I'm very conflicted on re-alignment. I wish the Red Wings were in the East because they would have less wear and tear from travel, and less sleep deprived fans during the playoffs. But I have a hard time believing the NHL is going to move Detroit before they allow CBJ to move East. CBJ is farther east. That's a fact. If Detroit moves, that leaves only 1 original six team in the west. That's a fact. CBJ is hemorraghing money right now. Another fact. Partly because of bad arena leases (a common theme in the league right now), but travel costs are killing them too. They would have a natural rivalry with Pittsburgh, and maybe even Philly. Ultimately, the NHL is a better league if all of its teams are financially stable, and this may help one of those struggling teams. Plus, trading CBJ and Atlanta is a fairly even swap in terms of strength of teams. Another fact.

On a selfish note, if the Thrashers move to Manitoba, I hope the Wild join the central division. Then the Wings would make 3 trips to St. Paul instead of 2, giving me an extra chance to see them play. Minny, Chicago, St. Louis, Detroit, and Nashville would be a great division.

There is talk Nashville could be the team moving to the Eastern Conference, since they would fit better in the Southeast Division geographically.

#19 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,559 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 09:53 PM

There is talk Nashville could be the team moving to the Eastern Conference, since they would fit better in the Southeast Division geographically.

The FREEP had a good point, though. It's not necessarily geography. Nashville is still in a different time zone than the southeast, is it not?

And as far as Columbus goes, I doubt moving East will help them save a significant amount of money in the long run, so I don't think that will be a factor. Though it will probably come down to one of those three teams.

So since it's too late for the Wings to move East this season, if Atlanta does move to Winnipeg, the West will just have an extra team for a season?

EDIT: And as far as the Western owners not wanting the Wings to go, I've got to think Chicago would be all for it. It would all but lock up the Central each year for them. And they're probably strong enough on their own without the Wings to boost ticket sales, unlike Nashville and Columbus.

Edited by VM1138, 16 May 2011 - 09:54 PM.

Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#20 IllinoisRedWingsFan

IllinoisRedWingsFan

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 09:56 PM

The West.

Here's why I am a College Student and I like the late games because then I can get my homework done and listen to them once I am finished or on the weekends watch them at the bars assuming the Hawks aren't playing.

Assuming Atlanta moves I think either Columbus or Nashville makes the move. Most likely the former. The Wings bring too much $$$ to the table in the West.

Edited by IllinoisRedWingsFan, 16 May 2011 - 10:01 PM.