• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

weGotTheCup89

Which conference would you rather have the Wings in?

Rate this topic

162 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

West. As others have said, the way you stay sharp is playing the best competition. Also, another good point I saw was the dirtiness/physicality that has crept into the East. The Wings have noone who can play enforcer, and we don't need to lose Hank and Dats to concussions.

While I agree with you that the East is more physical, you have to look at the bigger picture. Just because the West is tough now and the East is more physical doesn't mean that's the way its going to be forever. I'm sick of 10:30pm starts. I'm sick of the Wings having to fly across the continent several times a year. I'm sick of waiting for the schedule to come out and hoping/praying/crossing my fingers that the Wings actually go to Pittsburgh this season (I'm sure there's plenty of other east coast fans that feel this way too). Hockey fans on the west coast are probably sick of missing the first period of games because the game is in Detroit, it starts at 4:30pm their time and they're suck at work. They are in the Eastern time zone, they should be in the Eastern Conference.

I understand from a travel standpoint why the Wings are much better off in the East, but as someone who has always preferred watching Western Conference games, I like the Wings playing in the West. Put me in the undecided category.

I understand from a travel standpoint why the Wings are much better off in the East, but as someone who has always preferred watching Western Conference games, I like the Wings playing in the West. Put me in the undecided category.

But they will still play western teams. The Wings still have established mini-rivalries with Anaheim and Chicago, and they will continue to be crowd-pleasers. I don't think this will hurt the Wings competition with the Western teams, after all, are we really hoping for a Minnesota-Detroit rivalry or something random like that? Give me Boston, Montreal, Toronto, Pittsburgh over any new western rivalries.

But like the Toronto Star reported, Detroit moving east is a nonstarter, apparently Nashville would be the team to move.

While Bettman would declare his undying love for the Wings and eternal hatred for the Pens before he would let this happen, I say "Go East, young man." I'm too old for these late-night games. Yes, the West is a better conference, but the travel and these guys starting work at 10:30pm is a beotch.

While Bettman would declare his undying love for the Wings and eternal hatred for the Pens before he would let this happen, I say "Go East, young man." I'm too old for these late-night games. Yes, the West is a better conference, but the travel and these guys starting work at 10:30pm is a beotch.

Exactly. The Red Wings home city and large bulk of their fans is in the Eastern time zone. Why are Wings fans being inconvinienced by having almost half of their games start late? So Nashville can have a rivalry with the Hurricanes?? Who cares? Not to mention Nashville is in a different time zone, so moving them makes even less sense. As great as the Wings-Hawks rivalry is, I would much rather (and I would think the NHL would too) re-ignite some of these original 6 rivalries.

I keep reading on other boards that its a bad idea to move the Wings because it helps St Louis, Nashville, Columbus and Phoenix sell tickets when the Red Wings come to town. So in other words, Wings fans have to stay up really late for road games because these cities can't sell out their building without the Wings help? Dumb. However, nothing the NHL does surprises me anymore, so if the Wings don't get moved to the East it won't be a let down.

I keep reading on other boards that its a bad idea to move the Wings because it helps St Louis, Nashville, Columbus and Phoenix sell tickets when the Red Wings come to town. So in other words, Wings fans have to stay up really late for road games because these cities can't sell out their building without the Wings help? Dumb. However, nothing the NHL does surprises me anymore, so if the Wings don't get moved to the East it won't be a let down.

And what about the other 74-78 games that the Wings aren't playing them? The "sell more tickets for X" just seems like a weak excuse to me. Using that argument it makes more sense for all teams to play each other equal times (with there being a few more games against division opponents to develop those rivalries).

Guest Shoreline

And what about the other 74-78 games that the Wings aren't playing them? The "sell more tickets for X" just seems like a weak excuse to me. Using that argument it makes more sense for all teams to play each other equal times (with there being a few more games against division opponents to develop those rivalries).

Erm, subtract 22 (6x division, 4x conference) from those 4 teams mentioned. That's 60 "other" games, 71 being relative to those away arenas "selling tickets".

But like the Toronto Star reported, Detroit moving east is a nonstarter, apparently Nashville would be the team to move.

I don't get why. I can see some logic behind Columbus moving.. they are the easternmost longitudinal NHL team in the Western Conference and are a short drive to at least four Eastern Conference teams.

Otherwise, the Wings have more of a connection to Eastern Conference teams and have priority to me, time-wise, since Columbus was a newcomer well after the East/West formation.

The Wings have been once upon a time in the same conference and division as the Leafs and Habs, and were part of the Eastern Division for a number of years long ago to boot. Seems to me the Wings are owed the first choice of whether or not to go if Winnipeg gets a team again.

Edited by Shoreline

Erm, subtract 22 (6x division, 4x conference) from those 4 teams mentioned. That's 60 "other" games, 71 being relative to those away arenas "selling tickets".

I was referring to each team specifically but my math was still wrong. For example, St Louis plays the Wings 6 times and only 3 times in their barn so actually what about the other 38 games? And it's only 2 for Phoenix so what about the other 39 games in their building?

Edited by moserine

Guest Shoreline

I was referring to each team specifically but my math was still wrong. For example, St Louis plays the Wings 6 times and only 3 times in their barn so actually what about the other 38 games? And it's only 2 for Phoenix so what about the other 39 games in their building?

Yep, that's the correct math, but the biggest noticeable difference with Red Wings for the West is with teams like Chicago (especially when they weren't doing so well and fans conveniently forgot about them), St. Louis, Phoenix, Anaheim, Los Angeles, Columbus, Minnesota, Nashville, San Jose.

In the East the team venues I can recall there being legions of Wings fans showing up would be Florida's, Tampa, Atlanta, Carolina, Pittsburgh, and Toronto's.

The main influence of the Wings is from transplant areas... areas that MI people migrate to during the winter (in some cases consequently stay, like I have some MI family that used to visit FL during winter and now about a dozen or so moved there), and/or places that had better job opportunities. Then there are others where it's a convenient and nearby location for Wings fans to drive to.

I honestly don't think it would change much for the Wings to move out East, since they play other conference teams too, albeit now usually once, and really the fans in the team's home area and team travel should be the ones pretty much exclusively considered. I wouldn't expect West Coast regular season games to be changed to between 7 and 9pm EST, but sometimes asking Red Wing fans to stay up until 1am watching a regular season game is a bit too much.

Edited by Shoreline

I somehow forgot to take into account the additional games that we would play against Boston, Toronto, and Montreal which would just add to the excitement of the season. I am all for more matchups against the historical franchises of the NHL and this move would do that.

East; aside from travel, weaker conference with overall less consistently physical opposition leading to a likely healthier team heading into playoffs and easier matches. Better chances of a well built team winning the cup.

East by choice, but in reality they will stay in the West. Nashville will move to the Southwest conference even though they'll be the only team in the East in another time zone (lol), slapping a band-aid on Bettman's venture into the South. Also, they're a younger team, in a non-traditional market, and I would say they would be strengthened by having a nice rivalry with say, the Hurricanes which are right next door. The Wings have no such survival issues so they'll remain where they are. Maybe in the future they'll move east, when Texas gets another team (they could easily handle it), or Seattle finally builds an arena so they can have a team. But thats not happening anytime soon.

East...NICE!

Why? The Wings USED to be in the Price of Wales COnference back in the 70's, so it's not like they don't belong there. PLUS, who cares about playing Columbus 8 times a year, I want to see Boston, Montreal, Rangers, Leafs, Flyers and Penguins MUCH MUCH MORE!

I vote for the East. I'm getting sick and tired of having to sit up til 1AM watching games from the west coast. If we moved East, we could definitely show those teams how to play a class version of the game.

I can see the West teams raising hell over us not coming as often because we do get the fans in the door, but can you imagine the travel savings???

Have to say the East. Less travel and if the divisions are aligned right, then 6 games against the Leafs and Pens. After watching that last game this season with the Leafs vs the Wings, I am missing that huge rivalry (apparently the Leafs fans still think that there still is a rivalry and keep coming to the Joe which makes those games really fun).

I picked the West purely for selfish reasons. Can't ever watch any games in the eastern time zone, not that many are televised anyways sans center ice.

I think the Wings would fare well in the east - less travel and they would have a better shot at going deep in the POs every year in what I perceive as a much weaker conference, which is exactly why Butt an will keep them in the West. :|

I guess I'm in the minority here. I understand where people are coming from in terms of travel and time zones. But the WC is much deeper overall. Plus, I love and enjoy a lot of our current rivalries and mini-rivalries. Also I dislike many more teams in the west than I do in the east, so for me it makes for more exciting, intense games.