• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#41 Seraph

Seraph

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 04:31 PM

Sorry to say it, but there's no way Stevie is coming back.

First, it's not in his character. When he starts something, he finishes it. He was our captain. He will be their GM. Second, the guy moved his family out to Florida. He's retired from hockey. Why of all places would he come back to Detroit? He has it made.

Formerly known as The Nephilim.

QUOTE (Amberoonie)
Babs sure hurries himself into the presser, sits down, and f*cks up a bottle of water like no one in the room has had any for days.

#42 Buppy

Buppy

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 07:27 PM

First, it's not in his character. When he starts something, he finishes it. He was our captain. He will be their GM. Second, the guy moved his family out to Florida. He's retired from hockey. Why of all places would he come back to Detroit? He has it made.

These days most GMs last about 3-8 years. Maybe he'll be wildly successful and turn TB into a perrenial contenter; maybe not. Maybe the ownership will remain as solid as it seems right now; maybe not. But it's not like the decision to stay is completely up to him.

He's spent more than half his life here and has never had anything but great things to say about the franchise. He's a beloved icon in the city. No reason to think he wouldn't want to come back. If he's available and Kenny's ready to step aside, no reason to think he won't be back.

#43 MGreenberg

MGreenberg

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 09:59 PM

Bet if the Wings played a Pens team without Cindy and Geno, a Caps team with zero defense or goaltending they'd be in the conference finals as well. Yzerman has done a decent job thus far. Picking up Roloson was a nice move for one. But for the most part Stevie Y walked into a good situation with a good balance of quality veteran players who have already won a cup. And also having some young star players that can do nothing but only get better each year. And oh yeah some cap space to work with. I'll take a wait and see approach with Stevie Y. But for right now it's Holland.

I get what your saying about the Pens and Caps but it really isn't the case since Montreal did the same thing last year but instead of Halak being the hot goalie it is Roloson. I mean the series with the Penguins may have gone different with Sid and Malkin but they weren't there and they swept Washington. So sure, Yzerman came in with guys like Stammers, St. Louis and Lecavalier already on the team but he brought in Guy Boucher and players who bought into his system like Gagne, Moore, Clark, Kubina, Bergenheim and Brewer. Right now as much as I like and respect Holland I think I would take Yzerman for one reason. I think he would be more aggressive in trying to pick up certain players rather than just leave it as is.

But I really don't think it would be bad to have either one.

#44 Electrophile

Electrophile

Ipsa scientia potestas est.

• Silver Booster
  • 9,390 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 01:05 PM

His family still lives in Michigan.

electrophilewingsfloyd.jpg

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff."  -- The Doctor

#45 Redwings 1926

Redwings 1926

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 53 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 08:09 PM

I get what your saying about the Pens and Caps but it really isn't the case since Montreal did the same thing last year but instead of Halak being the hot goalie it is Roloson. I mean the series with the Penguins may have gone different with Sid and Malkin but they weren't there and they swept Washington. So sure, Yzerman came in with guys like Stammers, St. Louis and Lecavalier already on the team but he brought in Guy Boucher and players who bought into his system like Gagne, Moore, Clark, Kubina, Bergenheim and Brewer. Right now as much as I like and respect Holland I think I would take Yzerman for one reason. I think he would be more aggressive in trying to pick up certain players rather than just leave it as is.

But I really don't think it would be bad to have either one.

This organization did not accomplish what it has over the past 20 years by being stupid, and dumping a guy with 14 years of experience under his belt for a complete unknown would be just that.

In your assessment that Yzerman would "be more aggressive in trying to pick up certain players rather than just leave it as is", you are attempting to compare two general managers in two completely different situations.

Yzerman is in his first year with a team that has some talent and experience but has not made the playoffs since 2007. Ken Holland, on the other hand, has been with an organization that has been riding high since the 1991-1992 season, and has only had 3 sub-100 point seasons in his 14 years as gm. The last time the Redwings even missed the playoffs, 1990, the Lighting did not even exist.

That said, I am as big a fan of Steve Yzerman as the next guy and hope for nothing but the best for him in Tampa Bay , but I don't think it is fair to be comparing him to Ken Holland just yet.

Edited by Redwings 1926, 23 May 2011 - 08:10 PM.

#46 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,336 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 08:14 PM

Fantastically easy question to answer: Holland. Yzerman has a TON of cups to win as a GM before he can dethrone Holland. (Stevie's career as a GM is looking damn fine right now, though)
Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft

#47 blgillett

blgillett

Stevie the one and only Captian

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 09:28 PM

[quote name='GMRwings1983' timestamp='1305590031' post='2176287']
Starting now and for the future?

Yzerman of course. Same reason Emperor Palpatine wanted Luke Skywalker to replace Darth Vader as his new apprentice.

Holland has accomplished a lot here, but every GM moves on eventually, and I would have loved to see Yzerman move in as Wings GM because he'll always be a Wing to me.

Only problem I see is him being conflicted and loyal to players he used to play with, which is a large part of this team. I think he would have felt uncomfortable making moves on some of these players who were his former teammates and friends.

But alas, it's too late. Yzerman is not going to leave Tampa anytime soon. Doesn't strike me as that kind of person.
[/quote
first of all i love Stevie Y he was my all time favorite hockey player of all time (no disrespect to Gordie) but Holland has been and still is by far the best GM in the NHL end of story
"He was standing there like a cigar store Indian" Mickey Redmond
"Holmstrom gets more attention around the net than a pretty girl around closing time!" Mickey Redmond
IPB Image

#48 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,339 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 09:40 PM

The Wings also have Jim Nill. He could be picked up by another team, but the organization seems to like him because they have declined offers to talk to him while still under contract. I don't see a guarantee that Yzerman will pop back to Detroit, once his current contract is up. I like what Yzerman has done in Tampa, but it has been less than one year, where Holland has been running Detroit for 14.

That's inaccurate. Wings just pay Nill as much as a lot of GMs make. He's free to talk to whomever he has wanted to, he just chooses to stay in Hockey Town.

To answer the question, it's Holland. Yzerman finally hired a french canadian coach, which is all Vinny wanted and no other GM seemed to do. Seriously, the last GM hired Barry Melrose. Couple that with how crappy the East is, it's not hard to see a semi educated hockey operations man being able to do very well in the Eastern Conference. Yzerman still has a decade or so in him to where he needs to prove on a season to season basis he can make good decisions. He did that this year, but he walked into a damn good situation with players like Vinny, and St. Louis and Stamkos and Hedman and a fairly deep farm system.

Holland has constructed a great scouting system and management team along with making more good decisions than bad decisions in the front office for the team.

I'd pick Holland for now and for the next team years. After that, it's fair game!
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".