• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Jesusberg

Brad McCrimmon will not return for 2011/2012

Rate this topic

I think it would be great if the Wings found a coach that already has good familiarity and history of a good working relationship with Babs and MacLean. I'm not sure if such a candidate exists but that way everybody can be on the same page faster. Therefore, I hope Babs and MacLean have a loooot of input on the replacement.

What are the chances we could scoop up Smith again do you think?

I'm pretty sure he's under contract with the KHL and I don't think he wants to leave a head gig to be an asst anymore... who knows though, stranger things have happened, I'd welcome him back with open arms!

Guest Crymson

I hear Ken Hitchcock is on the market for a job... Could he fit in nicely with Babcock as our Defensive Coach? Didn't they work together at some point (Olympics)?

Dallas.

Guest Crymson

Agreed - however someone has gotta take the fall, and it was McCrimmon.

Hopefully his replacement will dog our Dmen, and get them back near the top of the standings.

According to the team, it was his decision to leave.

Every team needs a scapegoat. We could definitely use a guy with better defensive schemes, but he isn't the reason our guys sucked.

Maybe so but this was the obvious move. A new scheme and fresh face in that position will be a welcomed thing. Next up is that defenseman we have needed. Whether it happens or not is to be seen but as another poster had put it, the changes start right here.

Just out of curiosity because I really have no idea about these things, why does everyone think that Chelios would be a great replacement? He doesn't have any coaching experience, does he? Is there a reason I'm missing as to why he would automatically be an upgrade from McCrimmon?

Coaching just seems like one of those things that requires a lot of experience, and I don't mean playing experience, I mean actual coaching experience. Great players don't always make great coaches, right out of the gate.

Anyway, just wondering if there's something to it.

I agree. We have to look no further than Wayne Gretzky to see that a great player isn't automatically a great coach. I can't see Holland hiring a coach with no previous experience.

Is it a coincidence that so few successful NHL head coaches were successful players?

TSN sez: "Sources say McCrimmon and head coach Mike Babcock mutually agreed it was the right time to make the change." a.k.a. "you're fired". I don't think its the Wings style to embarrass anyone and say it publicly.

Every team needs a scapegoat. We could definitely use a guy with better defensive schemes, but he isn't the reason our guys sucked.

I'd be one of the last people on here to play the "Let's blame somebody" game when it isn't dead obvious when one person is pretty much at 100% fault. That's why I rarely get into bagging on typical whipping boys like Ericsson and Hudler because while they didn't have the best seasons obviously, they had their good moments and I think they can be beneficial players at times (conversely, it aggravates me to all ends when people on here overvalue players as well).

But, Ericsson and Hudler specifcially isn't the point of my response, point is also they didn't fully help either, the same with McCrimmon here, and while he may not be 100% at fault, some things have to change and unforuantely (or fortunately depending on how you look at it and how the consensus here are looking at it) he's the one getting the ax. Is everything 100% rays and sunshine now that he is eliminated? No. Will it completely be that way eventually? Probably not. Does his exit help things? In all likelihood, yes.

I agree. We have to look no further than Wayne Gretzky to see that a great player isn't automatically a great coach. I can't see Holland hiring a coach with no previous experience.

Is it a coincidence that so few successful NHL head coaches were successful players?

"Those can't do, teach."

I remember Kronwall once mentioned how hard it can be for Nick Lidstrom to explain in words to other dmen teammates how he reads the play on the ice.

"Those can't do, teach."

I remember Kronwall once mentioned how hard it can be for Nick Lidstrom to explain in words to other dmen teammates how he reads the play on the ice.

It makes sense. Because for a lot of these star players, especially someone with the hockey IQ of Nick, it probably just seems intuitive. So how do you teach guys things that happen to you in a way you don't even think about?

Honestly with Chelios, it could go either way. He could be great, but he'd certainly be a gamble due to his lack of real coaching experience.

Agreed - however someone has gotta take the fall, and it was McCrimmon.

Hopefully his replacement will dog our Dmen, and get them back near the top of the standings.

Yup.

Like I said in another thread. When you have Lidstrom, Kronwall, Stuart and Rafalski as your top 4. And forwards like Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Flip and a lot of generally responsible players, plus generally solid goaltending from Jimmy, the team should be doing a hell of a lot better than 23rd in GAA.

Honestly with Chelios, it could go either way. He could be great, but he'd certainly be a gamble due to his lack of real coaching experience.

You have to start somewhere. Didn't someone say he was working with the prospects in GR? Sometimes you need to take a chance on someone, they might be just what you need.

Bob Boughner anyone? Former NHL defenceman, Detroit's 2nd round draft pick of the 1989 draft. Current assistant coach of Columbus and president and C.E.O of the Windsor Spitfires. His hometown is Windsor, by the way.

I think Bieksa is being way overrated on these boards. Like others have said, he makes tons of mistakes and would get crucified here worse than Rafalski or Stuart. Better for the Wings to go a more reliable option.

Pitkanen and Ehrhoff get way more pub for whatever reason on here. Bieksa actually fills a need for the Wings.

No way Bieksa comes to Detroit. He is getting way too much attention to not be overpriced.

Correct, we would have to unload a king's ransom to make it work. His playoff performance will no doubt get him a solid payday. Still, it's off season, so pipe dreaming is rampant.

Guest CaliWingsNut

Yeah... like they are going to come out and say they fired him. Does anyone get fired anymore?