• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Jesusberg

Brad McCrimmon will not return for 2011/2012

Rate this topic

From Windsor Star:

“Bob Boughner is a young coach that would likely have to be a candidate,” Wings GM Ken Holland said. “Obviously, he’s accomplished a lot as a junior coach. I think he’d have to be a name on our list."

Read more: http://www.canada.com/Caps+owner+major+changes+needed/4812499/story.html#ixzz1MqYWJdM8

Just to reiterate the majority of the sentiment of the thread: it's about time. I have personally called for this since the end of his first season. He has accomplished a lot as a player and a coach, but has never fit behind the Wing's bench. I expect to see Chelios next season.

jnsjirifischerjpg-7b38d1e5462823ac_large.jpg

has been with the org for a long time now... Love the guy. Probably won't work but yet another suggestion.

That's my pick. He knows all aspects of playing as a defenseman, and has been working with the prospects for a while in a coaching capacity.

I think Bieksa is being way overrated on these boards. Like others have said, he makes tons of mistakes and would get crucified here worse than Rafalski or Stuart. Better for the Wings to go a more reliable option.

Stuart? CRUCIFIED? Stuart is possibly the most overrated player on LGW. He was as bad or worse defensively than Rafalski this season and brought no offense, while Rafalski brought elite-level offense. Rafalski was generally considered a bum and washed up, while Stuart was praised as possibly the team's best defenseman other than Lidstrom; even though Kronner was holding that spot firmly all season.

Pitkanen and Ehrhoff get way more pub for whatever reason on here. Bieksa actually fills a need for the Wings.

Part of it might be because I mention those two every time I post about possible FA acquisitions. If the cap raises $6m, we could potentially get both. As for Bieksa against those two, I don't see what need Bieksa fills that isn't also covered by Ehrhoff or Pitkanen. While on the other hand, Bieksa is the "big name" coming off of Vancouver's defense, while Ehrhoff is secondary. Other than those three, there are Wisniewski, White, Babchuk, and Clitsome as notable under-30 UFA defensemen. Bieksa gets a ton of hype and will be the "prize" defenseman. Wisniewski had a great offensive season and is physical, so he'll be a hot commodity. Pitkanen actually had a down year statistically, which is good for those interested in acquiring his services as a large, skilled two-way defenseman with physical presence. Ehrhoff is simply a really good defenseman who there isn't really much talk about. Which makes acquiring Ehrhoff and Pitkanen to replace Salei and Ericsson ideal.

Bieksa is awfully hit or miss - but he at least drops the gloves, and is frankly good at it. I wouldn't mind seeing him in a Wings jersey. Wings have the cap to spend.

Bieksa is awfully hit or miss - but he at least drops the gloves, and is frankly good at it. I wouldn't mind seeing him in a Wings jersey. Wings have the cap to spend.

He's good at it because he only fights lightweights and superstars.

Hey everyone, let's try and keep this thread on topic. Discussions about possible free agent signings and/or trades should be kept in their appropriate threads.

Let's keep this thread open for discussion about the coaching change, and possible replacements for McCrimmon's now-vacant spot.

Cheli says he's not currently interested in coaching:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news?slug=winstar-ca-4813302

One potential candidate has already ruled himself out of contention.

Chris Chelios said Thursday he’s not interested in coaching right now, though he didn’t rule it out in the future.

“I’m happy with what I’m doing,” Chelios said.

“I’m going to continue to do the same. I haven’t closed the door on anything.’’

Of course, this doesn't mean he won't change his mind if he's offered a coaching position.

Kukla's Korner

"Boughner, good friends w Detroit coach Mike Babcock, told The Dispatch on Wednesday he has no interest in another assistant’s job."

So looks like maybe no Boughner after all, as he only wants a head coaching job now. In the same article they mention Jenny's point that Chelly says he's happy with his job now. They also cite Hitchcock as being a "dark horse".

Wasn't MacLean very close to the Columbus job last year according to all "sources"? I don't buy the Boughner stuff as of yet but I also don't know the man or is his potential head coaching opportunity. Maybe it will be Fischer....

That's my pick. He knows all aspects of playing as a defenseman, and has been working with the prospects for a while in a coaching capacity.

Yep, that how I see it. He has been there through all the scouting and prospect aspects of the game as of late. And with some changing of the guard coming soon on the back end, I can't see a better fit. We shall see.

Wasn't MacLean very close to the Columbus job last year according to all "sources"? I don't buy the Boughner stuff as of yet but I also don't know the man or is his potential head coaching opportunity. Maybe it will be Fischer....

MacLean will certainly be looked at for the Dallas job.

Kukla's Korner

"Boughner, good friends w Detroit coach Mike Babcock, told The Dispatch on Wednesday he has no interest in another assistant’s job."

So looks like maybe no Boughner after all, as he only wants a head coaching job now. In the same article they mention Jenny's point that Chelly says he's happy with his job now. They also cite Hitchcock as being a "dark horse".

Well, five teams will have positions to fill, and when Boughner doesn't get a call since he has almost no pro-hockey coaching experience, you'll see him jump aboard the Wings wagon. Has a team ever hired a head coach who has one season of assistant coaching at a pro level under his belt? I'd be curious to know.