• Please log in to reply
201 replies to this topic

#61 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 10:39 AM

Has someone read something somewhere? Or is this another case of "sign Shea Weber!"

It's the off season, Harold. Hyperbole encouraged!!!!!!
TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.

#62 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,022 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 10:41 AM

It's the off season, Harold. Hyperbole encouraged!!!!!!

True. Why not shoot higher then?

Scotty Bowman for assistant coach to Babcock!

#63 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

This is great news!

But I don't get why Hitchcock's name is being mentioned so often. The guy's a Stanley Cup winning head coach with 15 years experience. Why would he want to be second fiddle to Babcock?

Has someone read something somewhere? Or is this another case of "sign Shea Weber!"

He participated in our camp last fall and is friends with Babs... he could prob make as much $$ as an asst here as he could as a head in another town and who knows, maybe his ego isn't as important as winning to him...

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#64 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,572 posts

I think Bieksa is being way overrated on these boards. Like others have said, he makes tons of mistakes and would get crucified here worse than Rafalski or Stuart. Better for the Wings to go a more reliable option.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#65 servo

servo

Where will we hang this one?

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,840 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 10:43 AM

Yah!!!! Finally, a move to put us back into contention. Hopefully, we can break the top 10 defense in the league next season with a competent coach. I bet they have someone in mind. I wouldn't be surprised if they announced someone prior to the SCF's.
I know exactly what I'm saying, so that when I'm fired, it won't be a slip of the tounge. Everything I say, I want to say. Don Cherry

#66 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

They just know who is available for the position. I still just feel it is more likely to be Cheli, but he might not want to get back into the full activity of the operations as of yet. He does keep that stellar tan all year by jetting to his Cali home often. Regardless, anyone at this point should be an upgrade.

#67 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted Image

#68 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,572 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 10:44 AM

This is great news!

But I don't get why Hitchcock's name is being mentioned so often. The guy's a Stanley Cup winning head coach with 15 years experience. Why would he want to be second fiddle to Babcock?

Exactly. Hitchcock is a dream that will never happen. Chelios or Fisher, on the other hand... Fisher is probably too young and inexperienced, and I don't know if he has a relationship with Babcock or if he even wants a job like that. Chelios seems like coach material, though.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#69 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 10:47 AM

Was totally not expecting this, although it was painfully obvious.

Can't wait to see the replacement.

#70 CaliWingsNut

CaliWingsNut

PeeWee Bettman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 10:47 AM

Figures don't lie, but liars sure figure. - Mark Twain

#71 ComradeWasabi

ComradeWasabi

the abdelgator

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,461 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 10:49 AM

I think Bieksa is being way overrated on these boards. Like others have said, he makes tons of mistakes and would get crucified here worse than Rafalski or Stuart. Better for the Wings to go a more reliable option.

Agreed, I'd rather have Ehrhoff every time. Much better offensively (40-50 points each of his last 3 seasons) but has upped his defensive game as well.

As far as McCrummy being gone... :clap: :yowza:
QUOTE (thedisappearer @ December 13, 2008 - 10:13AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So, we're dogpiling on the goalie sammy Hudler the defense the refs league bias against us coaching now? Ok.

Babcock is lazy and he sucks!

#72 S_Whitney

S_Whitney

Prospect

• 48 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 10:50 AM

Let's get Todd McClellan back if he gets fired after the playoffs

#73 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 10:52 AM

Let's get Todd McClellan back if he gets fired after the playoffs

yea, that's not happening...

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

#74 hillbillywingsfan

hillbillywingsfan

Awww poor butch

• Gold Booster
  • 3,588 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 10:53 AM

Scotty Bowman for assistant coach to Babcock!

Bcause thats just stupid. :P :hehe:
msg-10491-1258682020.jpg

I LIVE IN TEXAS SO I DON'T DESERVE HOCKEY

#75 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,339 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 10:55 AM

Every team needs a scapegoat. We could definitely use a guy with better defensive schemes, but he isn't the reason our guys sucked.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#76 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 11:01 AM

Every team needs a scapegoat. We could definitely use a guy with better defensive schemes, but he isn't the reason our guys sucked.

He didn't do his job and needed to be replaced. simple as that.

His sole responsibilities were PK and D - our PK and GA have taken drastic downturns during his tenure. Our prospects development (Ericsson, Meech, Kindl) all hit walls when they got to him and he hardly helped move them forward in their games and let them become stagnant.

To blame 100% if our playoff exit on him is indeed shortsighted and naive, but to write off the vitriol towards him as strictly being treated as a scapegoat, is way over-simplifying the facts.

We are a better team with him out of the equation.

EDIT - I was a big proponent of bringing back the minuses, but whoever gave you a minus for an opinion is kind of ridiculous, I am going to give you a plus for an opinion I disagree with, just to even it out...

Edited by stevkrause, 19 May 2011 - 11:05 AM.

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

#77 xtrememachine1

xtrememachine1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,434 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 11:03 AM

He wasn't the REASON, but he was definitely part of the problem. How big a part, we'll find out now that he's gone. I'd like to see Hitchcock here and I think he'd want to be here. A couple years with the Wings, we re-establish ourselves as a great defensive team and Hitchcock's getting offers from everywhere to be their head coach. It'd be smart for him and us.

#78 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 11:05 AM

Deflecting posters are deflecting Posted Image

#79 Hockeytown_Ryan

Hockeytown_Ryan

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,806 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 11:05 AM

Posted Image

YOU'RE FIRED!!!!!!!!

Grammar Police edit *

Edited by Hockeytown_Ryan, 19 May 2011 - 11:11 AM.

#80 SwedeLundin77

SwedeLundin77

Over the Line!!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 11:07 AM

This is great news!

I mentioned it because he has bounced around the league the past few years and being an Assistant Coach can sometimes grant better job security (Look at McCrimmon - how in the hell he lasted here 3 years is beyond me). Plus he and Babs are good friends.

I just thought it would be cool, but I also like the idea of moving MacLean back to D and hiring an O Coach. Or bring Chelios in possibly.