• Please log in to reply
201 replies to this topic

#81 ComradeWasabi

ComradeWasabi

the abdelgator

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,461 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 11:08 AM

Every team needs a scapegoat. We could definitely use a guy with better defensive schemes, but he isn't the reason our guys sucked.

While I'm glad McCrimmon's gone, I have to agree somewhat. In 2007-08 (when they were hungry for a cup) they were tops in goals allowed per game and third in goals scored per game. The next year, they were first in GS/G but dropped hugely to 21st in GA/G. Last year Detroit was 7th in GA/G, pretty respectable if you ask me. That year, though, they couldn't score nearly as well (due in part to the outrageous rash of injuries). This year, once again their scoring was up but defense was down. Last year, when their defensive game was better, they were 83.9% on the PK - only 0.1% lower than in our cup-winning 2007-08 season.

While McCrimmon certainly hasn't helped at all - and for that reason I support him not being brought back - there's obviously something wrong with our players' commitment. They haven't been able to bring it both offensively and defensively, there's been a tradeoff in the past few years but they have shown that they can be successful both on offense and on defense under our current coaching... just not at the same time.
QUOTE (thedisappearer @ December 13, 2008 - 10:13AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So, we're dogpiling on the goalie sammy Hudler the defense the refs league bias against us coaching now? Ok.

Babcock is lazy and he sucks!

#82 Hockeytown_Ryan

Hockeytown_Ryan

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,806 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 11:09 AM

I Wonder who will be his replacement...hmmmm

AHEMMMMM!!!!!!!

Posted Image

#83 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 11:09 AM

YOU'RE FIRED!!!!!!!!

GRAMMAR POLICE, GRAMMAR POLICE, GRAMMAR POLICE
:siren: :siren: :siren:

Sorry, but of all the grammar snafu's, the "Your/you're, there/ their/they're" one is at the top of my list

Edited by stevkrause, 19 May 2011 - 11:11 AM.

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#84 MGreenberg

MGreenberg

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 11:11 AM

:clap: :clap:

Do I really have to say anything?

Edited by MGreenberg, 19 May 2011 - 11:11 AM.

#85 Hockeytown_Ryan

Hockeytown_Ryan

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,806 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 11:12 AM

GRAMMAR POLICE, GRAMMAR POLICE, GRAMMAR POLICE
:siren: :siren: :siren:

Sorry, but of all the grammar snafu's, the "Your/you're, there/ their/they're" one is at the top of my list

I Fixed it... and did not really catch it I was just happy and typed faster than my brain was thinking it!!:D

Thank You !

#86 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 11:15 AM

I Fixed it... and did not really catch it I was just happy and typed faster than my brain was thinking it!!:D

Thank You !

understandable, it is such a joyous day, that one's excitement can get the best of them!

:)

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

#87 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,550 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 11:21 AM

I have to wonder if the team even let him go, or if he really is pursuing other opportunities. A little while ago I seem to remember there was buzz how he could be a head coach one day soon.

Either way, it's a good thing to get new blood in there. While the players obviously have to shoulder a lot of the responsibility for the poor defensive play, something had to change.

#88 edicius

edicius

Professional drinker.

• HoF Booster
  • 25,211 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 11:27 AM

I have to wonder if the team even let him go, or if he really is pursuing other opportunities. A little while ago I seem to remember there was buzz how he could be a head coach one day soon.

Either way, it's a good thing to get new blood in there. While the players obviously have to shoulder a lot of the responsibility for the poor defensive play, something had to change.

Given the wording in the TSN article - "mutually agreed" and "moving on to pursue other opportunities" - it sounds like McCrimmon was basically fired (and rightfully so). Yes, technically, they just didn't re-up his contract, but with that wording? It screams "you're fired, go somewhere else".

ABV_sig.png

Can't listen live? Check out MoreLikeRadio.org for show archives!

#89 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 11:31 AM

He didn't do his job and needed to be replaced. simple as that.

His sole responsibilities were PK and D - our PK and GA have taken drastic downturns during his tenure. Our prospects development (Ericsson, Meech, Kindl) all hit walls when they got to him and he hardly helped move them forward in their games and let them become stagnant.

To blame 100% if our playoff exit on him is indeed shortsighted and naive, but to write off the vitriol towards him as strictly being treated as a scapegoat, is way over-simplifying the facts.

We are a better team with him out of the equation.

EDIT - I was a big proponent of bringing back the minuses, but whoever gave you a minus for an opinion is kind of ridiculous, I am going to give you a plus for an opinion I disagree with, just to even it out...

Thanks.

Like I said, an upgrade is needed, but he isn't the reason our PK and GA are so bad. Our PK and GA would have been much better if Jimmy played like Jimmy played in the postseason.

When Jimmy played lights out last season, we were top 10 in PK and number 7 in GA. This year with a struggling and over worked Jimmy we were 23rd and 17th in GA and PK respectively.

It isn't all his fault and people need to remember that all schemes and final decisions run through Babcock. But we do need a DMen coach that relays to our DMen to not pinch 24/7 and to clear the crease.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#90 hooon

hooon

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,186 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 11:31 AM

Just out of curiosity because I really have no idea about these things, why does everyone think that Chelios would be a great replacement? He doesn't have any coaching experience, does he? Is there a reason I'm missing as to why he would automatically be an upgrade from McCrimmon?

Coaching just seems like one of those things that requires a lot of experience, and I don't mean playing experience, I mean actual coaching experience. Great players don't always make great coaches, right out of the gate.

Anyway, just wondering if there's something to it.
Posted Image

#91 sleepwalker

sleepwalker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 11:33 AM

Given the wording in the TSN article - "mutually agreed" and "moving on to pursue other opportunities" - it sounds like McCrimmon was basically fired (and rightfully so). Yes, technically, they just didn't re-up his contract, but with that wording? It screams "you're fired, go somewhere else".

Agreed. Those phrases mean one thing in the business & political worlds...you got fired.

#92 dteowner

dteowner

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,294 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 11:34 AM

Whether you blame the players or blame the coach, the team has to shuffle the deck to improve the defensive performance. Since our blue line isn't going to see much change due to the contracts we've got, the only other option is to dump the coach.

#93 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 11:36 AM

Just out of curiosity because I really have no idea about these things, why does everyone think that Chelios would be a great replacement? He doesn't have any coaching experience, does he? Is there a reason I'm missing as to why he would automatically be an upgrade from McCrimmon?

Coaching just seems like one of those things that requires a lot of experience, and I don't mean playing experience, I mean actual coaching experience. Great players don't always make great coaches, right out of the gate.

Chelios was one of the best defensive defensmen of this and the past three eras. He can help coach how you should be positioned on ES and on the PK. I think he'd be good, but I also think he should work with the prospects on skating and conditioning.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#94 Hockeytown_Ryan

Hockeytown_Ryan

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,806 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 11:38 AM

He works with defensive prospects now, he has a good feel for the way the game is played currently being only a couple years removed.

He has a great reputation with the players and they all respect him. To me being a coach relies on good knowledge of the game...(which he has)
I think he has a great hockey mind and would fill the role really ,really well.

#95 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 11:48 AM

He works with defensive prospects now, he has a good feel for the way the game is played currently being only a couple years removed.

He has a great reputation with the players and they all respect him. To me being a coach relies on good knowledge of the game...(which he has)
I think he has a great hockey mind and would fill the role really ,really well.

As I've said all along, I would prefer he get a little seasoning in the AHL donning the coaching cap first, but I wouldn't be opposed at all to him stepping into an NHL gig right away, he's a rare breed and I think one of those guys that is just a natural coach...

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

#96 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 11:50 AM

Posted Image

#97 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 11:51 AM

Posted Image

In memory...
TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.

#98 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,337 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 11:57 AM

I don't recall this level of excitement here at LGW since the Hossa signing.

:lol:

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#99 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 11:58 AM

I don't recall this level of excitement here at LGW since the Hossa signing.

:lol:

I am totally with you on this. The curmudgeons still won't bring us down!!!!!! Posted Image
TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.

#100 evilzyme

evilzyme

Games a gongshow.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,094 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 12:00 PM

Speculation is we're signing the Jesus.

Posted Image

You said it, man. Nobody f***s with the Jesus.

Edited by evilzyme, 19 May 2011 - 12:00 PM.

Pavel Datsyuk - "Pasha" - #13
"Got no fun if you got no puck"
'"I like ladies" - Towards the Lady Byng trophy
"Hannnnnnnnnnk"
"Okay $5 now"

I'm Don Cherry and Danny DeKeyser is my Kadri.