• Please log in to reply
201 replies to this topic

#101 Gordie Howe hat trick

Gordie Howe hat trick

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 12:00 PM

What are the chances we could scoop up Smith again do you think?
"If a guy slashed me, I'd grab his stick, pull him up alongside me and elbow him in the head."

-Gordon "Gordie" Howe-

Overall 3 Gordie Howe hat trick 113 points
2011 playoff pick game

#102 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,493 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 12:00 PM

Whether you blame the players or blame the coach, the team has to shuffle the deck to improve the defensive performance. Since our blue line isn't going to see much change due to the contracts we've got, the only other option is to dump the coach.

Yup - always easier to get rid of a coach than it is to move a handful (or more) players.

A coaching change seemed to do well in Tampa (along with a new GM); maybe a new guy coaching our Dmen will have a better result as well.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#103 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 12:02 PM

I think it would be great if the Wings found a coach that already has good familiarity and history of a good working relationship with Babs and MacLean. I'm not sure if such a candidate exists but that way everybody can be on the same page faster. Therefore, I hope Babs and MacLean have a loooot of input on the replacement.

#104 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 12:04 PM

What are the chances we could scoop up Smith again do you think?

I'm pretty sure he's under contract with the KHL and I don't think he wants to leave a head gig to be an asst anymore... who knows though, stranger things have happened, I'd welcome him back with open arms!

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#105 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,493 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 12:07 PM

Every team needs a scapegoat. We could definitely use a guy with better defensive schemes, but he isn't the reason our guys sucked.

Agreed - however someone has gotta take the fall, and it was McCrimmon.

Hopefully his replacement will dog our Dmen, and get them back near the top of the standings.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#106 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 12:08 PM

I hear Ken Hitchcock is on the market for a job... Could he fit in nicely with Babcock as our Defensive Coach? Didn't they work together at some point (Olympics)?

Dallas.

#107 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,517 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 12:08 PM

HAHAHAHA YES!!!!!! This wouldn't have happened if we won the Cup! lol

Posted Image

#108 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 12:09 PM

Hopefully his replacement will dog our Dmen, and get them back near the top of the standings.

According to the team, it was his decision to leave.

#109 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 12:09 PM

Every team needs a scapegoat. We could definitely use a guy with better defensive schemes, but he isn't the reason our guys sucked.

Maybe so but this was the obvious move. A new scheme and fresh face in that position will be a welcomed thing. Next up is that defenseman we have needed. Whether it happens or not is to be seen but as another poster had put it, the changes start right here.
TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.

#110 P. Marlowe

P. Marlowe

4th Line Heel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 12:14 PM

Just out of curiosity because I really have no idea about these things, why does everyone think that Chelios would be a great replacement? He doesn't have any coaching experience, does he? Is there a reason I'm missing as to why he would automatically be an upgrade from McCrimmon?

Coaching just seems like one of those things that requires a lot of experience, and I don't mean playing experience, I mean actual coaching experience. Great players don't always make great coaches, right out of the gate.

Anyway, just wondering if there's something to it.

I agree. We have to look no further than Wayne Gretzky to see that a great player isn't automatically a great coach. I can't see Holland hiring a coach with no previous experience.

Is it a coincidence that so few successful NHL head coaches were successful players?

"Finger-pointing is easy. In some cases, even therapeutic. Fans need to blame something,

because the outcome is so frustratingly out of their control."
-- Mitch Albom

| Terry Sawchuk & Johnny Bower | | Extra Protection | | "Luckies never cut my wind." | | Straight to the Goal | | Dodging Traffic |
| Tom Waits - Get Behind the Mule | | Mikael Samuelsson Forever | | Mike Grier? |

#111 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,517 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 12:19 PM

According to the team, it was his decision to leave.

TSN sez: "Sources say McCrimmon and head coach Mike Babcock mutually agreed it was the right time to make the change." a.k.a. "you're fired". I don't think its the Wings style to embarrass anyone and say it publicly.

#112 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 12:21 PM

I'd be one of the last people on here to play the "Let's blame somebody" game when it isn't dead obvious when one person is pretty much at 100% fault. That's why I rarely get into bagging on typical whipping boys like Ericsson and Hudler because while they didn't have the best seasons obviously, they had their good moments and I think they can be beneficial players at times (conversely, it aggravates me to all ends when people on here overvalue players as well).

But, Ericsson and Hudler specifcially isn't the point of my response, point is also they didn't fully help either, the same with McCrimmon here, and while he may not be 100% at fault, some things have to change and unforuantely (or fortunately depending on how you look at it and how the consensus here are looking at it) he's the one getting the ax. Is everything 100% rays and sunshine now that he is eliminated? No. Will it completely be that way eventually? Probably not. Does his exit help things? In all likelihood, yes.

#113 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 12:23 PM

I agree. We have to look no further than Wayne Gretzky to see that a great player isn't automatically a great coach. I can't see Holland hiring a coach with no previous experience.

Is it a coincidence that so few successful NHL head coaches were successful players?

"Those can't do, teach."

I remember Kronwall once mentioned how hard it can be for Nick Lidstrom to explain in words to other dmen teammates how he reads the play on the ice.

#114 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,817 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 12:31 PM

"Those can't do, teach."

I remember Kronwall once mentioned how hard it can be for Nick Lidstrom to explain in words to other dmen teammates how he reads the play on the ice.

It makes sense. Because for a lot of these star players, especially someone with the hockey IQ of Nick, it probably just seems intuitive. So how do you teach guys things that happen to you in a way you don't even think about?

Honestly with Chelios, it could go either way. He could be great, but he'd certainly be a gamble due to his lack of real coaching experience.

Yup.

Like I said in another thread. When you have Lidstrom, Kronwall, Stuart and Rafalski as your top 4. And forwards like Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Flip and a lot of generally responsible players, plus generally solid goaltending from Jimmy, the team should be doing a hell of a lot better than 23rd in GAA.

#115 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 12:33 PM

"Those can't do, teach."

And those who can't teach, teach gym.
TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.

#116 WizardOfOz30

WizardOfOz30

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,726 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 12:37 PM

Honestly with Chelios, it could go either way. He could be great, but he'd certainly be a gamble due to his lack of real coaching experience.

You have to start somewhere. Didn't someone say he was working with the prospects in GR? Sometimes you need to take a chance on someone, they might be just what you need.

Posted Image

Thanks Offsides

"If I could sum up my career in Detroit, I was a perfect goalie for the team at the perfect time. I just wanted to be a Red Wing, that's it." Chris Osgood, July 19, 2011

#117 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 12:39 PM

And those who can't teach, teach gym.

I've never heard that one before but now that I think back to my gym teachers it actually makes sense, haha.

#118 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,534 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 12:44 PM

:w00t2: :yahoo:

I predict, Holland is not done with his surprises yet!

Blah,Blah,Blah....Trade Pav...Blah, Blah...Trade Z...Yadda, Yadda, Blah...

#119 Jusek

Jusek

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,732 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 12:45 PM

Bob Boughner anyone? Former NHL defenceman, Detroit's 2nd round draft pick of the 1989 draft. Current assistant coach of Columbus and president and C.E.O of the Windsor Spitfires. His hometown is Windsor, by the way.
"I consider the Detroit Red Wings one of the greatest franchises in any sport. For a player to come in and play, it's so special to wear the jersey."
-Steve Yzerman

#120 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,585 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 12:47 PM

Good news, IMO.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman