• Please log in to reply
201 replies to this topic

#161 achildr1

achildr1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 10:44 PM

I went to TSN.CA today and LGW several times before seeing that McCrimmon was fired. Ah well, I'm ecstatic to have hope that maybe someone will come in and teach our guys how to dominate again.

#162 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 10:48 PM

Posted Image

has been with the org for a long time now... Love the guy. Probably won't work but yet another suggestion.

That's my pick. He knows all aspects of playing as a defenseman, and has been working with the prospects for a while in a coaching capacity.

I think Bieksa is being way overrated on these boards. Like others have said, he makes tons of mistakes and would get crucified here worse than Rafalski or Stuart. Better for the Wings to go a more reliable option.

Stuart? CRUCIFIED? Stuart is possibly the most overrated player on LGW. He was as bad or worse defensively than Rafalski this season and brought no offense, while Rafalski brought elite-level offense. Rafalski was generally considered a bum and washed up, while Stuart was praised as possibly the team's best defenseman other than Lidstrom; even though Kronner was holding that spot firmly all season.

Pitkanen and Ehrhoff get way more pub for whatever reason on here. Bieksa actually fills a need for the Wings.

Part of it might be because I mention those two every time I post about possible FA acquisitions. If the cap raises $6m, we could potentially get both. As for Bieksa against those two, I don't see what need Bieksa fills that isn't also covered by Ehrhoff or Pitkanen. While on the other hand, Bieksa is the "big name" coming off of Vancouver's defense, while Ehrhoff is secondary. Other than those three, there are Wisniewski, White, Babchuk, and Clitsome as notable under-30 UFA defensemen. Bieksa gets a ton of hype and will be the "prize" defenseman. Wisniewski had a great offensive season and is physical, so he'll be a hot commodity. Pitkanen actually had a down year statistically, which is good for those interested in acquiring his services as a large, skilled two-way defenseman with physical presence. Ehrhoff is simply a really good defenseman who there isn't really much talk about. Which makes acquiring Ehrhoff and Pitkanen to replace Salei and Ericsson ideal.
"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."

#163 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,367 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 11:01 PM

Posted Image

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#164 egroen

egroen

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 11:14 PM

Bieksa is awfully hit or miss - but he at least drops the gloves, and is frankly good at it. I wouldn't mind seeing him in a Wings jersey. Wings have the cap to spend.
Red Kelly #4 and Larry Aurie #6 belong in the rafters!!!

"For my game, I don't need to score the goal," Konstantinov once explained. "I need someone to start thinking about me and forgetting about scoring goals."

#165 matt198913

matt198913

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 11:17 PM

Thank you sweet Jesus finally!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#166 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,243 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 11:25 PM

Bieksa is awfully hit or miss - but he at least drops the gloves, and is frankly good at it. I wouldn't mind seeing him in a Wings jersey. Wings have the cap to spend.

He's good at it because he only fights lightweights and superstars.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#167 Jedi

Jedi

Fire and Blood

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 11:49 PM

Hey everyone, let's try and keep this thread on topic. Discussions about possible free agent signings and/or trades should be kept in their appropriate threads.

Let's keep this thread open for discussion about the coaching change, and possible replacements for McCrimmon's now-vacant spot.

bdc4.jpg
"I am the sword in the darkness... I am the watcher on the walls..."

#168 Jenny

Jenny

Geeky Goalie Girl

• PipPipPip
  • 542 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 05:55 AM

Cheli says he's not currently interested in coaching:

http://sports.yahoo....star-ca-4813302

One potential candidate has already ruled himself out of contention.

Chris Chelios said Thursday heís not interested in coaching right now, though he didnít rule it out in the future.

ďIím happy with what Iím doing,Ē Chelios said.

ďIím going to continue to do the same. I havenít closed the door on anything.íí

Of course, this doesn't mean he won't change his mind if he's offered a coaching position.

detroit-skyline.jpg

My priorities: 1-Hockey. 2-Sleep. 3-Food. 4-Everything Else.

No, Ozzie is NOT the Breakfast Wizard!" -- my husband

#169 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,408 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 08:13 AM

Posted Image

From Windsor Star :

Boughner has spoken to some of the five NHL teams currently in search of a coach, but discussions were brief.

"There's a lot of kicking tires, but no interviews or anything at this point," he said.

Sadly, he's never coached at the professional level.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#170 Jesusberg

Jesusberg

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,439 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 08:18 AM

Kukla's Korner

"Boughner, good friends w Detroit coach Mike Babcock, told The Dispatch on Wednesday he has no interest in another assistantís job."

So looks like maybe no Boughner after all, as he only wants a head coaching job now. In the same article they mention Jenny's point that Chelly says he's happy with his job now. They also cite Hitchcock as being a "dark horse".

#171 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 08:55 AM

Wasn't MacLean very close to the Columbus job last year according to all "sources"? I don't buy the Boughner stuff as of yet but I also don't know the man or is his potential head coaching opportunity. Maybe it will be Fischer....

That's my pick. He knows all aspects of playing as a defenseman, and has been working with the prospects for a while in a coaching capacity.

Yep, that how I see it. He has been there through all the scouting and prospect aspects of the game as of late. And with some changing of the guard coming soon on the back end, I can't see a better fit. We shall see.
TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.

#172 kook_10

kook_10

I Like Our Team

• Gold Booster
  • 2,224 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 09:06 AM

Wasn't MacLean very close to the Columbus job last year according to all "sources"? I don't buy the Boughner stuff as of yet but I also don't know the man or is his potential head coaching opportunity. Maybe it will be Fischer....

MacLean will certainly be looked at for the Dallas job.

works every time

#173 Datsyerberger

Datsyerberger

"Dat's yer burger, Hank."

• HoF Booster
  • 3,097 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 09:19 AM

If some bored artist wants to make me a signature, feel free to cut loose and do so.

Of course, I could get off my lame rear and do something.

#174 crotty99

crotty99

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 09:56 AM

Congratulations LGW, you have all worked so hard for this moment.

Enjoy!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Posted Image

Thanks TeeMan!

#175 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 09:59 AM

We are still waiting for that nice, beautiful new puckbag for Hudler trade. I know everyone stated a used one but we can't short ourselves here.

#176 kook_10

kook_10

I Like Our Team

• Gold Booster
  • 2,224 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 10:42 AM

Enjoy!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

We'll see if we can't get drum's feed up for the parade so you can watch down there too!

works every time

#177 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 12:02 PM

Kukla's Korner

"Boughner, good friends w Detroit coach Mike Babcock, told The Dispatch on Wednesday he has no interest in another assistantís job."

So looks like maybe no Boughner after all, as he only wants a head coaching job now. In the same article they mention Jenny's point that Chelly says he's happy with his job now. They also cite Hitchcock as being a "dark horse".

Well, five teams will have positions to fill, and when Boughner doesn't get a call since he has almost no pro-hockey coaching experience, you'll see him jump aboard the Wings wagon. Has a team ever hired a head coach who has one season of assistant coaching at a pro level under his belt? I'd be curious to know.
IPB Image

#178 Hiei

Hiei

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 12:12 PM

SAY HELLO TO THE 2011-12 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

ALL ABOARD THE BANDWAGON TRAIN!!!!!!!!!! :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :clap: :clap: :yowza: :yowza:

"Hit em with your purse, ya *****!" - Random Wings fans shouting at Franziska

#179 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 12:16 PM

SAY HELLO TO THE 2011-12 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

ALL ABOARD THE BANDWAGON TRAIN!!!!!!!!!! :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :clap: :clap: :yowza: :yowza:

Save it!!!

Posted Image

#180 Hiei

Hiei

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 01:01 PM

Save it!!!

Posted Image

I'm quite surprised that the forum hasn't devolved into that already :)

"Hit em with your purse, ya *****!" - Random Wings fans shouting at Franziska