• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

CaptainCaveMan

Atlanta Thrashers move to Winnipeg

Rate this topic

Wrong. Winnepeg will be in the east and simply just take Atlanta's spot in the South East

Yep that is the rumor , Winnipeg will have to suffer in the Southeast for at least a year and the re-alignment would be proposed. According the the globe and mail in Canada this deal is done.

Atlanta to Winnipeg

Wrong. Winnepeg will be in the east and simply just take Atlanta's spot in the South East

For one season, maybe. It would be completely foolish for a team in Western Canada to play in the same division as a team in Miami long term.

If they keep them in the East for a season, their travel is gonna be brutal.

I feel bad for the players. Not only will they have to deal with the travel for a year (if the rumor is true), they'll go from an Atlanta winter to a Winnipeg winter. Yikes.

Edited by Trapt1307

Bettman has promised Ilitch a move to the east for years. If Atlanta moves, it should be us.

He has? No offense but I would like to see some proof of that.

So if the Wings do move, which division do we move to?

Can't be the Southeast. No matter who moves there, only 3 teams will actually be located near the Southeast. Remember, Washington is already there and are hardly located in the Southeast geographically.

That's why Nashville makes the most sense. Geographically, they're closest to Carolina and the Florida teams, and about the same distance to Washington as Atlanta was. Minnesota then joins the Central, and Winnipeg takes their spot in the NW.

Edited by Buppy

Nashville will likely move to the Southeast.

Minnesota will move to the Central.

Winnipeg will move to the Northwest.

As I've stated before, the Wings are the only team in the West that guarantees ratings. The league will not be benefited by this move, even though us fans would love it.

You know, I really don't think this is true. I've even said that before, but when I think about it, it's silly. LA is one of the biggest markets, is it not? San Jose, Vancouver, Calgary, Dallas, Chicago, these are all big markets, I think. The only ones that really fail are Phoenix, maybe Minnesota, Nashville and Columbus, right? So the West doesn't NEED Detroit anymore than the East needs Detroit. In the end I think the numbers wash and they're a non-factor.

I have a weird feeling that the Wings already know that they're going to the East the year after next. In that article that was floating around a few days ago, Devellano said that they won't be moving to the East next year, but and after that they're "saying prayers" or something like that (sounded like he was joking). To me, this means that they've been told that they're going to the East for 2012-13, but he didn't want to let the cat out of the bag yet. Now we're hearing that Winnipeg will stay in the East for a season, so that kind of confirms my suspicion.

Honestly, I think the smarter move for the league is to move Nashville, but I've wanted the Wings in the East since forever. It's better for the league for the Wings to be in the West, but it's better for the Wings to be in the East.

Edited by Trapt1307

For one season, maybe. It would be completely foolish for a team in Western Canada to play in the same division as a team in Miami long term.

If they keep them in the East for a season, their travel is gonna be brutal.

I feel bad for the players. Not only will they have to deal with the travel for a year (if the rumor is true), they'll go from an Atlanta winter to a Winnipeg winter. Yikes.

Travel wouldn't be any different than Detroit's travel each year, would it? Vancouver does a lot, too.

I dont understand why everyone thinks its such a good idea for Winnipeg to get a team. Didnt they lose their first team due to poor attendance? I also seem to remember reading that players hated playing/living there. Am I way off-base?

Travel wouldn't be any different than Detroit's travel each year, would it? Vancouver does a lot, too.

Yeah it would. They're playing in the southeast. That means they have to travel to the southeast 12 times a year. Then they would have to fly to the east coast 20 other times for conference games. At least the Wings and Canucks are in divisions that are relatively close to them geographically. It's a lot different flying from Detroit to Chicago than it is flying from Winnipeg to Tampa.

I dont understand why everyone thinks its such a good idea for Winnipeg to get a team. Didnt they lose their first team due to poor attendance? I also seem to remember reading that players hated playing/living there. Am I way off-base?

Really? I thought the issue was an old arena, but I was too young at the time. It would be surprising to me if it was an attendance issue knowing how crazy Canadians are about hockey.

It GD better NOT be Columbus!!!! That would be just what the Evil Dr. Bettman would do to screw the Wings! This is OUR ONLY chance to move east, when is the next team gonna go west? Probably NEVER!

Panthers to Kansas City is a possibility to me.

Yep that is the rumor , Winnipeg will have to suffer in the Southeast for at least a year and the re-alignment would be proposed. According the the globe and mail in Canada this deal is done.

Atlanta to Winnipeg

That is a dumb, dumb plan.

Why not just realign now, like it is that hard to do???

Yeah it would. They're playing in the southeast. That means they have to travel to the southeast 12 times a year. Then they would have to fly to the east coast 20 other times for conference games. At least the Wings and Canucks are in divisions that are relatively close to them geographically. It's a lot different flying from Detroit to Chicago than it is flying from Winnipeg to Tampa.

Really? I thought the issue was an old arena, but I was too young at the time. It would be surprising to me if it was an attendance issue knowing how crazy Canadians are about hockey.

The old arena was a problem but also the Canadian dollar was worth about 65 cents US back then which was even more of a problem. In an uncapped era with a bad arena and a bad dollar they just couldn't do it.

Another Jets link...decent read

Edited by puckbags

I don't understand all of the commotion about Detroit staying in the West since we sell out arenas, let's take a look of the teams in the west:

Central

Chicago Blackhawks--They sell out their arena every game.

Columbus Blue Jackets--Undoubtedly we are a hot ticket for them, but so is Chicago and if they were in the playoff hunt every year they would be more popular

Nashville Predators--We are a hot ticket, however as this team is improving as we saw in the playoffs; any game is gonna sell more tickets now.

St. Louis Blues--It's a hockey market, if the team wasn't crappy they'd sell very well.

Northwest

Calgary Flames--I don't think I've seen a Flames game in the last 8 years or so that wasn't sold out/near sold out

Colorado Avalanche--The rivalry is dead, the Wings are still a good team and of course they will sell well, the team being average over the last few years doesn't help.

Edmonton Oilers--Very loyal fans, Wings aren't their meal tickets.

Minnesota Wild--"State of Hockey" enough said

Vancouver Canucks--They're about to be in the finals, they have great fans and I think a Canucks/Griffins game would sell well

Pacific

Anaheim Ducks--

Dallas Stars--Team has been on the slide lately, fans want to see a winner.

Los Angeles Kings--Up and coming team, Wings are a hot ticket but they aren't having problems drawing people to other games.

Phoenix Coyotes--This is the only team that "banks" on the Wings coming twice a year and quite frankly, hockey doesn't belong here or Miami.

San Jose Sharks--Shark Tank is always rocking no matter what the team

Meanwhile in the East there is the Islanders, Panthers, Lightning, Devils and Senators who would all LOVE to have two chances for the Wings to come in and bring in more revenue

There are teams that don't draw well in each conference, whether the reason is talent or location. The Wings will sell out just about every road game they play...even if that game is played in Mexico City.

I'm not really sure whats going on here, The Globe and Mail usually is a pretty decent newspaper...and yet it seems like they jumped the gun on this one. True North is denying that a deal is done...and Daly is saying the Board of Governors hasn't agreed to anything (obviously, but an important point).

Well now, assuming the deal does go through, how do we think the Board will vote? Seems like True North played this much better than Mr. Blackberries, so lets see.

Also, to the guy who was speculating if the Wings would be placed in the Penguins' division.... :blink: if thats going to happen, just keep them in the West!!!

The old arena was a problem but also the Canadian dollar was worth about 65 cents US back then which was even more of a problem. In an uncapped era with a bad arena and a bad dollar they just couldn't do it.

Another Jets link...decent read

You forgot one of the most important factors in the post-lockout era: revenue sharing. That, combined with a strong dollar/loonie, strong (well, stronger than ours) canadian economy, new arena, and good ownership should be a recipe for success in the Peg.

Guest Shoreline

They couldn't financially support their team because of the lack of salary cap, lack of revenue sharing, and other teams spending over $10m US for superstars and $70m for an entire roster which a much smaller market Canadian team like Winnipeg and even Edmonton couldn't afford, and the U.S. dollar being around $1.50 CAD (Canadian dollar/loonie) at this time. Now the US dollar is $0.96 CAD.

Their arena would be the MTS Centre now where the Manitoba Moose (AHL team where Vancouver Canucks get developed players from) plays not in the old Winnipeg Arena.

The circumstances upon which Winnipeg had to be moved have completely turned around, and more than that, despite the fact that the city won't subsidize the team, they have private funds being used instead of exposing taxpayers, which is a heavy heavy bonus.

I'm pretty excited about the Winnipeg situation and I would not buy another NHL licensed product ever again if it turns out they are using Winnipeg and NHL fans, pulling their strings around, by letting this sort of frenzied news get half-hearted rebuttals which keeps said fans extremely hopeful along with more positive moves toward that direction by more than one NHL club.

Edited by Shoreline

That's why Nashville makes the most sense. Geographically, they're closest to Carolina and the Florida teams, and about the same distance to Washington as Atlanta was. Minnesota then joins the Central, and Winnipeg takes their spot in the NW.

Since Winnipeg would be closer to then NW than Minnesota, that makes sense. The next closest thing for Minnesota is the Central.

Who leaves the central? Not Chicago or St. Louis. They're too far west. That leaves Nashville, Columbus, or Detroit.

Since the SE has the blank spot to fill, it does seem like Nashville would be the best choice for the SE. Pulling anyone else down there would be just as wonky as having the Caps in that division, but there they are since they are the closest thing.

The evil part of me would like to see Minny in the Central with Detroit. I get the Wild games on TV here. That's just me being selfish, so you can ignore that part if you don't like it.

Since Winnipeg would be closer to then NW than Minnesota, that makes sense. The next closest thing for Minnesota is the Central.

Who leaves the central? Not Chicago or St. Louis. They're too far west. That leaves Nashville, Columbus, or Detroit.

Since the SE has the blank spot to fill, it does seem like Nashville would be the best choice for the SE. Pulling anyone else down there would be just as wonky as having the Caps in that division, but there they are since they are the closest thing.

The evil part of me would like to see Minny in the Central with Detroit. I get the Wild games on TV here. That's just me being selfish, so you can ignore that part if you don't like it.

This is how I see it shaking out:

Nashville goers to the Eastern Conference (SouthEast Division)

Central Divisoin:

Detroit

Chicago

Columbus

St Louis

Minnesota

Pacific:

San Jose

Anaheim

Phoenix

LA

Dallas

Northwest:

Vancouver

Calgary

Winnipeg

Colorado

Edmonton

Wings aren't going East. I can see it being the Preds or the BJ's. Bring the Wild into the Central and there is your "re-alignment". Sad but most likely the facts.

Being regionally more east than any of these teams mentioned sort of proves an awful lot of points with this league. I also agree that Chicago can't be the only O6 team in the West, though. Just the breaks and also that we sell a ton of tickets in the crap hockey markets in California.

Edited by HankthaTank

Wings aren't going East. I can see it being the Preds or the BJ's. Bring the Wild into the Central and there is your "re-alignment". Sad but most likely the facts.

Being regionally more east than any of these teams mentioned sort of proves an awful lot of points with this league. I also agree that Chicago can't be the only O6 team in the West, though. Just the breaks and also that we sell a ton of tickets in the crap hockey markets in California.

This is what I was thinking. I don't know how much of a factor it is, but the league must be paying attention to how certain stadiums fill up all of a sudden when the Wings are in town (I'm looking at you, Phoenix).