• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

CaptainCaveMan

Atlanta Thrashers move to Winnipeg

Rate this topic

any word on this? certainly they won't be called the thrashers still - that just doesn't sound right at all.

maybe a combination of the two?

THE WINNIPEG THREATS!

Threat3D_final3.gif

:P

Rumor has it they would be the Manitoba Moose, not even Winnipeg whatever.

They couldn't financially support their team because of the lack of salary cap, lack of revenue sharing, and other teams spending over $10m US for superstars and $70m for an entire roster which a much smaller market Canadian team like Winnipeg and even Edmonton couldn't afford, and the U.S. dollar being around $1.50 CAD (Canadian dollar/loonie) at this time. Now the US dollar is $0.96 CAD.

Their arena would be the MTS Centre now where the Manitoba Moose (AHL team where Vancouver Canucks get developed players from) plays not in the old Winnipeg Arena.

The circumstances upon which Winnipeg had to be moved have completely turned around, and more than that, despite the fact that the city won't subsidize the team, they have private funds being used instead of exposing taxpayers, which is a heavy heavy bonus.

I'm pretty excited about the Winnipeg situation and I would not buy another NHL licensed product ever again if it turns out they are using Winnipeg and NHL fans, pulling their strings around, by letting this sort of frenzied news get half-hearted rebuttals which keeps said fans extremely hopeful along with more positive moves toward that direction by more than one NHL club.

Toronto Blue Jays and Tampa Bay Rays are able to keep teams afloat minus a salary cap while having a very very low and still being able to stay competitive. Hell, look at the Predators who have a low payroll and a self imposed cap.

Wings won't move. Columbus or Nashville will. Nashville would be the only CST team in the East, so I think all the East owners would whine about that, but on the other hand, CLB makes less sense in the Southeast.. and I think moving CLB to the Southeast would kill that franchise. 0 big draws for them in their own division. Nashville seems inevitable, and I won't miss playing against them. Let the east deal with Trotz.

The Wings, however, will move in what I feel to be an inevitable expansion in the next couple years that will almost certainly add two teams to the west (Kansas City and one of: Houston, Seattle, Portland, Vegas). In such a move I feel that the league would also try to realign things in such a way that Chicago joins Detroit going East. Quebec City will not see a team from expansion, but rather, relocation of an East team.

Guest Shoreline

Toronto Blue Jays and Tampa Bay Rays are able to keep teams afloat minus a salary cap while having a very very low and still being able to stay competitive. Hell, look at the Predators who have a low payroll and a self imposed cap.

The Jays have been able to simply because of TV deals that even the Leafs benefit from. Not because of much interest.

The Devil Rays also haven't been around long enough plus they got lucky and won a championship.. Look at the time it took Phoenix to go under and that was with tens of millions in losses every season.

Wings won't move. Columbus or Nashville will. Nashville would be the only CST team in the East, so I think all the East owners would whine about that, but on the other hand, CLB makes less sense in the Southeast.. and I think moving CLB to the Southeast would kill that franchise. 0 big draws for them in their own division. Nashville seems inevitable, and I won't miss playing against them. Let the east deal with Trotz.

I wonder if there would be any consequences of having a team named after Union soldiers in the American Civil War playing in Florida, Georgia, and Carolina multiple times per year? I'm an Ohi'an who graduated from a high school named after Phil Sheridan- I made the mistake of wearing a 'Sheridan High School' shirt driving to Tampa a few years ago, I almost got mobbed in Tennessee trying to get gas.

This is how I would re-align the divisions. Sensible.

NW: Winnipeg, Calgary, Edmonton, Colorado, Minnesota

PAC: Vancouver, LA, Anaheim, SJ, Phoenix (Wouldn't THAT be competitive)

CEN: St Louis, Columbus, Dallas, Chicago, Nashville

NE: Detroit, Ottawa, Toronto, Montreal, Buffalo

ATL: NY Rangers, NY Islanders, NJ, Philly, Boston

SE: Tampa, Florida, Carolina, DC, Pittsburgh (just so we can have that Sid vs Ovi man-love fest for the east coast while an Yzerman-built team demolishes both of them)

Now THAT is sensible, Competitive, and great for ratings!

SE: Tampa, Florida, Carolina, DC, Pittsburgh (just so we can have that Sid vs Ovi man-love fest for the east coast while an Yzerman-built team demolishes both of them)

That would be great but I can't see the Central being that weak or having MON, TOR, and Detroit in one division. There would be too many hardcore canvases in one division. I'm sure the NHL wants that spread amongst weaker teams.

Guest Shoreline

I disagree with other sentiments like from the last post. That would be good alignment that would not make the Central go to s*** as far as talent and viewers are concerned.

Edited by Shoreline

I can't imagine the League allowing the annoucement of the alleged/pending sale to be made during the playoffs. Bettman needs more time to buy liniment, for the pulled muscles he'll have from patting himself on the back for his part in this deal. Or, is that Daly's job?

GREAT POST Cusimano! That is exactly what the NHL is doing! They do not want the story of an NHL franchise moving during their playoff run right now! Takes away from the s***ty product on the ice right now!! You have a lock down, boring Eastern Final and a diving contest in the West. The only good press is the chick putting her ta ta's on the glass in Vancouver! But..... I digress!!!! Congrats to Winnipeg!!!! Welcome Back!!

They couldn't financially support their team because of the lack of salary cap, lack of revenue sharing, and other teams spending over $10m US for superstars and $70m for an entire roster which a much smaller market Canadian team like Winnipeg and even Edmonton couldn't afford, and the U.S. dollar being around $1.50 CAD (Canadian dollar/loonie) at this time. Now the US dollar is $0.96 CAD.

Their arena would be the MTS Centre now where the Manitoba Moose (AHL team where Vancouver Canucks get developed players from) plays not in the old Winnipeg Arena.

The circumstances upon which Winnipeg had to be moved have completely turned around, and more than that, despite the fact that the city won't subsidize the team, they have private funds being used instead of exposing taxpayers, which is a heavy heavy bonus.

I'm pretty excited about the Winnipeg situation and I would not buy another NHL licensed product ever again if it turns out they are using Winnipeg and NHL fans, pulling their strings around, by letting this sort of frenzied news get half-hearted rebuttals which keeps said fans extremely hopeful along with more positive moves toward that direction by more than one NHL club.

I see, thanks. What about the players though? I read somewhere that Bryzgalov said he would flat out refuse to report to Winnipeg, that he'd rather go back to Russia before moving to Winnipeg. Is that a common sentiment among players?

Edited by Bannedforlife

From TSN.

The league's constitution requires any sale to be approved by three-quarters of the board of governors -- which translates into 22 owners -- before it becomes official. A majority of the board must also support an application for relocation.

The Thrashers sale price is expected to be around US$170 million, with $70 million of that going to the league for a relocation fee, according to a source.

I heard today about moving Nashville to the Southeast. I think that makes the most sense. Winnipeg could be in the Central, or put Winnipeg in the Northwest, Dallas to the Central, and Colorado to the Pacific.

As fun as it would be to have the Wings in the East, it would just be very bad for business.

Guest Shoreline

I see, thanks. What about the players though? I read somewhere that Bryzgalov said he would flat out refuse to report to Winnipeg, that he'd rather go back to Russia before moving to Winnipeg. Is that a common sentiment among players?

Nope. Unlike Bryzgalov, their goalie Chris Mason would like to play in front of a Winnipeg crowd, especially given it will likely be more filled toward capacity which is something rarely seen in Atlanta. Granted, he can't bite the hand that currently feeds him by dissing Atlanta, but haven't seen any expressed sentiment by players against moving. They've been relatively quiet, surely awaiting what happens like we are.

The part that makes me zany is that the Thrashers both draw more and lose less than the Yotes and moving the Yotes wouldn't even force realignment.

And the NHL has spent years trying to save the Coyotes, but give up on the Thrashers at the drop of a hat?

And the NHL has spent years trying to save the Coyotes, but give up on the Thrashers at the drop of a hat?

I read that the Atlanta Spirit group has been chasing local ownership for a few years now. It just isn't worthwhile anymore, and is certainly not worthwhile when you have a group from out of town with a blank cheque.

The thing about Phoenix is that at least there's always someone popping up with fake money/investing help (Hulsizer) every year or so to try to keep the team there. Atlanta doesn't have that and probably never will.

Guest Shoreline

About the last few posts...

- Marketing is valued much higher nowadays than quality assurance, that's where the money is spent in recent decades

- Gary Bettman has quite an ego

- He has put himself out there to keep the Coyotes in Phoenix extensively thus depending on the individual's stubbornness will variably go out of their way to get what they want for the sake of their image

- He has not done so for Atlanta

- Letting the Coyotes go to Winnipeg would have been a kick to Bettman's nuts

- He hasn't invested his image into keeping Atlanta in place.. so he has little to lose marketing wise and ego wise

- Some of these non viable teams have owners which constitute a vote on both whether or not he keeps his job and whether or not teams relocate

Understand that Bettman since he came in has done all he can do to put teams in places where they are not exactly the most viable. His legacy depends on his ability to manage this philosophy.

Edit: The last post is also correct.

Edited by Shoreline

What a great time for hockey fans...I can only hope this plays itself out and Winnipeg gets a team as they deserve one a hell of a lot more than Atlanta, who barely supports the Braves. Ditto for Phoenix...we'll be talking about this same stuff next spring, only it will be relocating to Quebec City instead. Stop putting hockey teams in markets where they're not appreciated!!!

From ESPN:

Former Thrasher Ray Ferraro:

"The Braves won 11 straight division titles," he said. "The first year we were there, Andrew Brunette and I went to go to Game 1 of the playoffs. We didn't have tickets and we worried we couldn't get in. We go up to the box office and there's 11,000 empty seats. They had been in the playoffs 11 years in a row. You looking for a college football ticket? You're not going to get one. You want to go to NASCAR? You're not going to get a ticket. It's a market with different priorities. Pro sports is down the chain for sure."

Contrast the poor fan showings in Atlanta and Phoenix with Winnipeg last night:

portageandmain.jpg

And they don't even officially have a team yet, and haven't in 15 years!

Canucks' Jeff Tambellini said playing games in Atlanta wasn't fun.

"It's tough to go to a building where there is two good teams going at it, and there is no one in the building. There's no atmosphere, no buzz," said Tambellini. "That, we know, is something that in Canadian cities you'll never see.

"We should be putting our markets in the best places to have success. Winnipeg's a place with a great fan base. They deserve a fan base."

It sucks to say this, since I live in Arizona, but bring the NHL back to where people WANT it and appreciate it.