• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

CaptainCaveMan

Atlanta Thrashers move to Winnipeg

Rate this topic

Guest Shoreline

And, thanks to the people in the foregraound of that photo: "The whole world is watching".

That event could have been a crucifixion (plus fire) or a precursor to alien tripods coming out of the ground in that photo and it wouldn't change all the idiots with their phones and portable media recorders in the foreground.

I think the people there recording the thing outnumbered the actual protesters.

Edited by Shoreline

This might be a dumb question, and if so I apologize. Say the Wings win the Western Conference Finals next season, and then before the start of the following season, the team is moved into the Eastern Conference. Since we're no longer in the Western Conference, are we still in the Western Conference champs? Do we get some funky asterisk next to our name or something?

Like I said, sorry if it's a dumb question.

Guest Shoreline

This might be a dumb question, and if so I apologize. Say the Wings win the Western Conference Finals next season, and then before the start of the following season, the team is moved into the Eastern Conference. Since we're no longer in the Western Conference, are we still in the Western Conference champs? Do we get some funky asterisk next to our name or something?

Like I said, sorry if it's a dumb question.

Any past acclamations don't get erased merely because of a conference switch.

Hell, they didn't even in the case of switching city's for the Nords/Avs (also conference) or the Whales/Canes.

The reason it's not a big deal is there's no reward in the following season for being previous Campbell trophy winners. It might get recognized in the case of a celebration and raising a banner to the rafters, but that would be ex post facto.

Edited by Shoreline

BTW, if it gets to the point where it looks like the Wings will be screwed out of going east, I suggest a set of protests, both outside the Joe and outside the Toronto and New York offices of the NHL.

I will be pissed if they give preference to those expansion teams over us.

From TSN:

The mayor of Atlanta sees no local buyer willing to buy the Thrashers and keep the team in Atlanta.

Speaking to an NBC television affiliate in Atlanta on Tuesday, Kasim Reed explained that the Thrashers' financial losses are the main reason that the team is not an appealing investment for local buyers.

"We have not yet had any of the individuals in our community prepared to take that on, but it's not for a lack of trying," said Reed.

From TSN:

The mayor of Atlanta, Kasim Reed, said;

"I think anytime we lose a major sports franchise, it is tough," Reed said."It is going to hurt the city but we will withstand it just fine and we will get through it."

From the way he is talking it sounds like it is pretty much a done deal.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/canadianpress/article/ALeqM5hoK4FwbIkA0kE6lnlIUvt0eK-drA?docId=6944290

With all due respect, I would not count on the Wings moving to the Eastern Conference. Quebec City is in the process of building a new arena with the sole purpose of attracting an NHL team. For those unfamiliar with Quebec City, the Nordiques played there until they moved to Denver, and became the Colorado Avalanche. This could happen as early as 2012.

With all due respect, I would not count on the Wings moving to the Eastern Conference. Quebec City is in the process of building a new arena with the sole purpose of attracting an NHL team. For those unfamiliar with Quebec City, the Nordiques played there until they moved to Denver, and became the Colorado Avalanche. This could happen as early as 2012.

True. I have to imagine Bettman is happy with the way the league is set up now. They have mentioned having Winnipeg play in the East for one year, and that would leave a NYI relocation on the table, or Florida to Quebec City in 2012, thus solving this problem and strengthening the league without shrinkage. I am more convinced than ever that the Wings will, in fact, not move East.

Guest Shoreline

I don't see a Quebec franchise happening that early. The only possibility given the slow time it takes to sell a team is Phoenix and Lord and Savior Bettman has done everything he can do to keep the team there, and the city of Glendale has decided to foot the inevitable losses that will come by running the team per annum. Given the problems there are with a handful of teams fiscally, and because of revenue sharing, it makes zero sense to expand. Quebec will be waiting a while.

Edited by Shoreline

I don't see a Quebec franchise happening that early. The only possibility given the slow time it takes to sell a team is Phoenix and Lord and Savior Bettman has done everything he can do to keep the team there, and the city of Glendale has decided to foot the inevitable losses that will come by running the team per annum. Given the problems there are with a handful of teams fiscally, and because of revenue sharing, it makes zero sense to expand. Quebec will be waiting a while.

Agreed, I'm from Montreal and last I heard from the arena was that it wouldn't be up and running before 2014. I haven't re-heard any other news in which it indicated it'll be up and running as early in 2012, unless I missed some news.

I could be wrong tho.

If the move does happen (I expect it will) Down Goes Brown has some tips for Jets fans on what to changes have occurred in the NHL since 1996.

Down Goes Brown: Guide to how the NHL has changed since the Jets left.

1996 - The Atlanta Thrashers don't exist yet.

2011 - The Atlanta Thrashers don't exist any more.

1996 - The Florida Panthers were swept by the Colorado Avalanche in the finals.

2011 - Having learned a valuable lesson from that experience, the Florida Panthers haven't lost another playoff series in ten years.

Guest Crymson

Aye. Unlike Winnipeg (True North), Quebec City does not have a multi-billion dollar corporation willing to buy a team and move it.

Edited by Crymson

Aye. Unlike Winnipeg (True North), Quebec City does not have a multi-billion dollar corporation willing to buy a team and move it.

Actually, multi-billion dollar corportation Quebecor has been trying to get an arena built to bring a team there. Thats been going on for a while now.

CBC had an update today:

CBC Story