• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

CaptainCaveMan

Atlanta Thrashers move to Winnipeg

Rate this topic

Guest Hatethedrake!

rumors are flying. NHL brass has been spotted on flights, 11am CST 12pm EST announcement will be officially made.

:clap:

I think Bill Daly's head could be spotted from Pluto.

Via Twitter May 16th

TSNBobMcKenzie Bob McKenzie

I'm of opinion that IF realignment is required, DET won't move to East, at least not in short term, maybe ever. West teams like DET in West.

Just sayin'

I see it coming. They will take Nashville and move them into Atlanta's spot in the southeast then move Minny into the Central and Winnipeg into the Northwest. Geographically this makes the most sense. What I would like to see is:

Edmonton-Calgary-Colorado-Vancouver- Winnipeg

Minny-St. Louis-Columbus-Nashville-Chicago

Islanders-Rangers-Jersey-Boston-Philly

Detroit-Toronto-Ottawa-Montreal-Buffalo

Pittsburgh-Washington-Carolina-Tampa-Florida

This makes sense geographically (except maybe Pittsburgh) but requires to many teams to move.

espn article

It says that they won't realign THIS YEAR. And that is because the schedule is almost complete and they would rather have Winnipeg travel 1,000,000 miles next season than have a bunch of schedulers have to start over.

R.I.P. Atlanta Thrashers.

Not surprised, a bit sad because Atlanta would've been a great market to get a hold on. Mainly happy for Winnipeg though, can't imagine how happy the fans there are. Especially considering they had a team and lost it before.

Has anything heard any discussions on the MTS centre? I have heard great things about it in terms of being busy, hosting concerts, etc. However, I thin it only seats just above 15,000 for hockey...that doesn't sound like enough to suppport an NHL team, wondering if there have been any comments on that.

In the 7 years I lived in the Atlanta area, I only went to a handful of Thrashers games, and none of them were completely sold out. I feel bad for the fans who enjoyed going and developed a relationship with the team and its players, but this is another example of why there are just some places hockey will never, never work. The South on the whole, is more into NASCAR and collegiate sports. Transplanted Northerners (like my family) will get into it because they're coming from areas where hockey exists and is strong, but it's next to impossible to make it really, really work.

Well, not many details released...looks like much depends on the Governors meeting on June 21st, although the NHL Draft is in 3 weeks...I'm not sure how a nameless/logoless team can draft players? Would they still be operating as the Atlanta Trashers or Winnipeg Thrashers or what?

I see it coming. They will take Nashville and move them into Atlanta's spot in the southeast then move Minny into the Central and Winnipeg into the Northwest. Geographically this makes the most sense. What I would like to see is:

That's exactly how I see it going down. Figure Gary will keep the 2 teams asking to move east the most (i.e. Detroit & Columbus) out west instead.

I would also add an editorial comment here: If Winnipeg can sell 13,000 season tickets (average price 3rd highest in the NHL) with a 3-5 yr commitment, make tidy profits and be successful under the post-lockout economics....we're going to see a march northward for teams like Phoenix and Florida.

Well, not many details released...looks like much depends on the Governors meeting on June 21st, although the NHL Draft is in 3 weeks...I'm not sure how a nameless/logoless team can draft players? Would they still be operating as the Atlanta Trashers or Winnipeg Thrashers or what?

Ive seen in multiple sources they will pick up their AHL teams name and logo, so i think that will be it.

Not sure there is an issue here, they'll turn their attention immediately to naming the team now that they have worked through the acquisition. The team will be named in relatively short order and the governors meeting to approve happens before the draft, so that's a non-issue.

Ive seen in multiple sources they will pick up their AHL teams name and logo, so i think that will be it.

I've "heard" that through various sources as well, but I honestly don't think they have spent time on determining a name and I doubt it will end up being the Manitoba Moose. I really think it will be the Winnipeg....something.

Bettman said they wouldn't stand in the way of the team using "Jets". NHL owns the rights to the name at they will make it available to them. . .

Not that they'll have any issue selling tickets, but it would be pretty cool if their first UFA signing July 1 was Teemu Selanne for a one year deal.

Seriously though folks, we need to start working as hard as the Jets fans did to get their team back in order to get us to go East!

Join the movement to get Detroit in the Eastern Conference and look at what our community can do to influence the league!