• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

CaptainCaveMan

Atlanta Thrashers move to Winnipeg

Rate this topic

TB isn't really the best example... ridiculous amounts of northerners, snowbirds, descendants of northerners down there. It's more like far-south Michigan/Ontario than anything else.

I'd use Dallas, Nashville, Carolina, and maybe Miami (Florida) as 4 examples. Florida was doing fairly well when it didn't suck, and even in a record-setting stretch of mediocrity they've managed to stay out of dire straits more than some other teams.

Tampa would probably do better if they didn't have the worst :bad: food ever served for human consumption, $4.00 for a :puke: hotdog that was only fit to be dogfood. After our first experience we always eat before going to the game.

Shane Doan is the only player left from Winnipeg of 1995-96. He has never been traded and next season he will be playing against Winnipeg.

I'm sure that Doan would love to go back to Winnipeg, but at his current number I'm not sure that's going to happen until his contract is up.

Winnipeg has been slated by the talking heads of hockey as a mid-level budget team around $53-54 million as how much they're going to be able to spend. Additionally they've stated they won't be very aggressive with free-agency and will build through the draft. It's also been noted that it will be hard to lure players there and maybe keep players there because of the city and climate.

They've got almost $36 million dollars locked up for next season for 15 players leaving about $18 million.

Their first major test is going to be if they can get Andrew Ladd to sign a reasonable extension.

He is the team captain and it will be interesting to see if he wants to play in Winnipeg.

Then they've got make decisions on Wheeler, Maxwell, Schremp, Steward, Bogosian and Feasterling as RFAs.

Dvorak, Boulton, and Meyer as UFAs.

Signed Players:

FORWARDS

Nikolai Antropov ($4.062m) / Evander Kane ($3.100m) / Bryan Little ($2.383m)

Alexander Burmistrov ($1.500m) / Jim Slater ($1.000m) / Chris Thorburn ($0.866m)

Patrice Cormier ($0.854m) / Tim Stapleton ($0.525m)

DEFENSEMEN

Dustin Byfuglien ($5.200m) / Ron Hainsey ($4.500m)

Tobias Enstrom ($3.750m) / Johnny Oduya ($3.500m)

Mark Stuart ($1.700m)

GOALTENDERS

Chris Mason ($1.850m) / Ondrej Pavelec ($1.150m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS

Budget: $54,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $35,941,666; BONUSES: $3,087,500

CAP SPACE (15-man roster): $18,058,334

I'm sure that Doan would love to go back to Winnipeg, but at his current number I'm not sure that's going to happen until his contract is up.

Winnipeg has been slated by the talking heads of hockey as a mid-level budget team around $53-54 million as how much they're going to be able to spend. Additionally they've stated they won't be very aggressive with free-agency and will build through the draft. It's also been noted that it will be hard to lure players there and maybe keep players there because of the city and climate.

They've got almost $36 million dollars locked up for next season for 15 players leaving about $18 million.

Their first major test is going to be if they can get Andrew Ladd to sign a reasonable extension.

He is the team captain and it will be interesting to see if he wants to play in Winnipeg.

Then they've got make decisions on Wheeler, Maxwell, Schremp, Steward, Bogosian and Feasterling as RFAs.

Signed Players:

FORWARDS

Alexander Burmistrov ($1.500m) / Jim Slater ($1.000m) / Chris Thorburn ($0.866m)

DEFENSEMEN

Mark Stuart ($1.700m)

GOALTENDERS

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS

TRADE US BOGOSIAN

NHL commissioner Gary Bettman spoke at the press conference in Winnipeg where the deal was announced.

"Hockey in Canada has never been stronger," said Bettman. "We get to be back in a place we wish had not left in 1996."

:rotflmao:

Who does he think he's kidding?

Winnipeg gets an NHL team back, St John's gets an AHL team back. Good stuff :thumbup:

Awesome, I like that the AHL is back in St. John's! :thumbup: Although...thats quite the distance away for the Winnipeg Whatevers to have a farm team, eh? I thought it was supposed to be in Thunder Bay...but they never built the arena...

Guest Shoreline

To all the young punks who think my NHLPA'93 on the Sega Genesis is outdated-you guys look really foolish now as your new games have the Thrashers while mine has a Winnipeg team.

Kinda missing Columbus, Nashville, and so on, but those are minor details. ;)

Signed Players:

FORWARDS

DEFENSEMEN

Mark Stuart ($1.700m)

GOALTENDERS

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS

Dvorak has stated he wants to stay with the team, but then again that was before they were sold and all that. Eric Boulton's family is in Atlanta, I believe. Before this whole sale and relocation, it was pretty much a given he would stay with the Thrashers, but with the franchise moving to Winnipeg, Boulton could look elsewhere in the Southeast, or retire.

Edit: Boulton has stated his family will make the transition with him to Winnipeg. Boulton plans on re-upping.

Edited by Bring Back The Bruise Bros

TB isn't really the best example... ridiculous amounts of northerners, snowbirds, descendants of northerners down there. It's more like far-south Michigan/Ontario than anything else.

I'd use Dallas, Nashville, Carolina, and maybe Miami (Florida) as 4 examples. Florida was doing fairly well when it didn't suck, and even in a record-setting stretch of mediocrity they've managed to stay out of dire straits more than some other teams.

TB is a great example. All Southern states have northern transplants. TB continually has one of the highest attendances and a great fan base.

Florida Panthers are a terrible example, they are a bad franchise and their fanbase is next to nothing. Hurricanes aren't really the best example either, as they tend to be near the bottom third of capacity percentage.

Just a funny side note: Blackhawks finished the 06-07 season with a 62% home capacity percentage of available seating (12,727), THen went to 82%, then 111%...lol No wonder Hawk fans are so annoying...they're still new to the game ;)

TRADE US BOGOSIAN

Never going to happen now, they are going to have plenty of money to sign him and Fans that will demand it.

Yet, I am not sold that the team will move if they don't sell out these ungodly overpriced tickets.

HAVE YOU SEEN WHAT THEY WANT OUT OF 13K WORTH OF PEOPLE?!?!?

Oh no worries, I will just cut you a check for five years worth of front row tickets. Can I bring the Thirty thousand dollars to the arena, or should I leave it in front of Gary Bettman's house???

Edited by Majsheppard

Never going to happen now, they are going to have plenty of money to sign him and Fans that will demand it.

Yet, I am not sold that the team will move if they don't sell out these ungodly overpriced tickets.

HAVE YOU SEEN WHAT THEY WANT OUT OF 13K WORTH OF PEOPLE?!?!?

Oh no worries, I will just cut you a check for five years worth of front row tickets. Can I bring the Thirty thousand dollars to the arena, or should I leave it in front of Gary Bettman's house???

Do some research.

http://www.driveto13.com/paymentplans.php

Humor, sir. Humor.

Besides, payment plan makes it 32k for five years of front row tickets....

Ouch. The team isn't that good.

The guys buying front row tickets can care less about 32k over 5 years.

The luxury boxes will be 180k+ a year with a 7-10 year commitment. So far there is a waiting list.

Third highest ticket prices in the league... Doesn't make sense for a team that isn't in the playoffs. What happens if they bomb the first couple of years? Will the building be empty and the team removed?

How would the building be empty after a couple years when season ticket commitment is a 3 year minimum.

I think you underestimate Winnipegs passion for NHL hockey. The only thing that will derail this is if the loonie drops to $0.50. Considering our dollar is somewhat linked to the price of oil, I cant see that happening.