• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

CaptainCaveMan

Atlanta Thrashers move to Winnipeg

Rate this topic

Just thought I'd share this. It was posted in the hockey thread in the off-topic area of a site I visit that has nothing to do with hockey.

Our beloved Thrashers are going to Winnapeg, My husband told me that thousands of season tickets sold out within a few minutes. We used to love our Thrashers, but there are so many reasons that Atlanta can't handle a hockey team.

Most of the people that live here are from somewhere else. They already have a favorite team. The rest it's where the games were played. The train system here, Marta, is so inefficient. Taking the train back and forth, especially the trip home. It wasn't unusual to wait, and wait for a train to take you home, not the best choice when you have to get up in the morning to go to work. Waiting for hours, and not the safest place you would want to be.

Please Winnapeg, take care of our Thrashers. It would mean the world to me. If you rename the team, do it. Just take care of our team. And go play good hockey.

Islanders to Quebec City next, that solves CBC's dilemma, haha.

Then we move Florida and wait on Bettman to give up on Phoenix and the league will be in good shape.

lol that's what i was thinking. although, i have phoenix moving to qc.

If anyone is an AdultSwim fan they had a bump last night about Canada stealing teams from the US.

"First the Atlanta Flames to Calgary, now the Atlanta Thrashers to Winnipeg."

Guess if Canadians want more hockey teams by means of relocation they'll have to hope for more Atlanta teams :P

Guest CaliWingsNut

I don't think so.

borrowing till the economy shifts?

Balsillie on the other hand... did try to steal.

Edited by CaliWingsNut

The Coyotes have had 7 seasons with 15k+ and five more with 14k+. Before the move, the Jets peaked at 13,550. That's only 88% of the Winnipeg Arena's 15,393 capacity.

The passion may not have driven the Jets away, more likely the size. Winnipeg was a metro area of approximately 650k when the Jets left. In an arena that seats 15,393 for NHL hockey, that's 630k tickets. The GTA is about eight times as large yet the ACC only seats 20k. and the Leafs don't sell out every night.

So Winnipeg hockey *can* work. And obviously, we're about to find out if it will work in the new NHL.

How many tickets would the Coyotes sell if they sold at even an average ticket price? It's well known they give tickets away in ridiculous numbers. How many of those 15k tickets were bought by the owners in order to make the revenue sharing threshold?

If the Coyotes were selling a legitimate 15,000 tickets a night at decent prices, they wouldn't be losing $25+ million per year.

And yes, the Leafs do sell-out every night. They just have a lot of tickets that go unused because of the lousy product. But they're sold.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Balsillie's multiple offers for the Pens/Preds/Yotes more than what was the settled amount for the Thrashers?

Either way Jim baby didn't play well with Gary, or the BOG.

Exactly - The reason Balsillie doesn't have an NHL franchise right now, is 100% personal

Bettman absolutely, positively denied that was the case.

I still laugh.

The Balsillie offer for the Coyotes made everyone happy, except Bettman.

And the Coyotes' 1,800 season ticket holders.

Islanders to Quebec City next, that solves CBC's dilemma, haha.

Then we move Florida and wait on Bettman to give up on Phoenix and the league will be in good shape.

Garth Snow, traded back to Quebec as a GM? Unprecedented!

How many tickets would the Coyotes sell if they sold at even an average ticket price? It's well known they give tickets away in ridiculous numbers. How many of those 15k tickets were bought by the owners in order to make the revenue sharing threshold?

If the Coyotes were selling a legitimate 15,000 tickets a night at decent prices, they wouldn't be losing $25+ million per year.

And yes, the Leafs do sell-out every night. They just have a lot of tickets that go unused because of the lousy product. But they're sold.

Well, six of those seven seasons were before the lockout, and the seventh was the first year after. So my guess is that there was no revenue-sharing crap like you claim.

And fine... Toronto "sells" out every night. But that's the same situation in Detroit, and people here talk about how there's no way the Wings sell as many tickets as they do. Plus, people also don't account for the 20-minute bathroom wait time. I mean, SERIOUSLY. I might stop at a CVS and get a urinal bottle before the next time I hit the Joe...

As for the losing money; there needs to be a revamp of how the cap works. The cap floor system needs to not be so strictly buckled to the ceiling, while the fact that teams are losing money despite cap increases shows that revenue sharing is built incorrectly. It needs to be pushing revenue to struggling teams in a larger amount than it does now. If the Yotes were to end up staying in Glendale for another 20 years, losing money every year with revenue sharing covering the losses, that would be a correct use of revenue sharing. Revenue sharing should be built like so:

1: Helps reduce or eliminate financial losses of struggling teams.

2: Assists small market teams financially.

3: Assists all teams financially

Step 1 would see the revenue sharing pot spent in such a manner to attempt to reduce most or all of existing team losses. If that happened, and money remained, it would pass on to step 2. This would see a certain portion passed to all small-market teams. In step 3, a certain portion would be passed to all teams or all market sizes.

This would help small market teams with their ability to compete and to spend to the cap. Teams like Atlanta, Columbus, Florida, Nashville, NY Islanders (not small market, but same situation due to Rangers and Devils), Ottawa, Phoenix, etc. would be able to not only develop young stars, but hold on to them and surround them with talent.

Something like this would require a concession to the large market teams, likely again allowing them to purchase players. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing. Would Phoenix have rather traded Bryzgalov for a pick and a soon-to-be FA, or a pick and cash?

From Sportsnet :

Even though the sale of the Atlanta Thrashers won't be final until the June 21 board of governors' meeting, that appears to be a formality and True North Sports and Entertainment, which owns the team and the arena, already has the backing of the executive committee.

"I have no reason to believe that it won't be unanimous," Daly said of the vote.

From TSN:

Sources tell TSN that Winnipeg general manager Kevin Cheveldayoff informed head coach Craig Ramsay that he intends on interviewing other candidates for the job.

Ramsay, contacted on Sunday by the Winnipeg organization, has also agreed to an interview as part of the process.

Although Winnipeg is considering other options, Ramsay has not been terminated.

Guest CaliWingsNut

Anyone know when the team name will be announced?

Would think they want it to be official first. Probally soon after the vote.

You'd think so. The draft is 4 days later. I would imagine they'd like their 7th overall pick to have a jersey to wear.

And since they'll have to make the jerseys in advance, I bet it'll leak out thanks to some overzealous manufacturer employee.

It turns out that someone has some explaining to do. It has now been revealed that a bid was placed for the Thrashers on May 20th, well before the deal with True North was finalized over a week later.

A bid has been made by a minority business group to purchase Atlanta Spirit, which owns the NBA's Hawks, the NHL's Thrashers and Phillips Arena, for $500 million, those bidding told USA TODAY.

The CEOs of Global Wellington Financial Corp. and Oriana Capital Partners put forth a bid May 20 to acquire both teams and the arena before the 2011-12 NBA season. The new ownership group would be called W/C Holdings.

Lucky for Bettman that nobody in Atlanta cares... <_<

USA Today story

Edited by evilmrt