• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

CaptainCaveMan

Atlanta Thrashers move to Winnipeg

Rate this topic

Somewhat surprising that they're saying the jersey their draft pick receives may not be representative of the jerseys they'll be wearing next year.

How much longer before they choose a name? If it's not the Jets people are going to lose it, so they might as well just go with it.

Guest CaliWingsNut

Somewhat surprising that they're saying the jersey their draft pick receives may not be representative of the jerseys they'll be wearing next year.

How much longer before they choose a name? If it's not the Jets people are going to lose it, so they might as well just go with it.

They likely do not have the rights to the jets name or logo. They may want it to be the Jets. However until they secure the rights (aka pay off the right people) they can't say one way or the other.

They likely do not have the rights to the jets name or logo. They may want it to be the Jets. However until they secure the rights (aka pay off the right people) they can't say one way or the other.

I believe the NHL owns the rights and will give them to the team if they request it.

Edited by WorkingOvertime

Winnipeg home opener: October 9th vs Montreal

Phoenix home opener: October 15th vs Winnipeg

HAHAHAHA! This is awesome!!!! Bettman....really? Winnipeg Vs. Phoenix? LOL...

rally__1600W.Jpeg

I believe the NHL owns the rights and will give them to the team if they request it.

This is correct. The NHL owns the rights to the Jets name and logo. Bettman has already said, if TNSE wants it; they can have it.

However, I really doubt they will be the Jets. I believe Mark Chipman wants to start off fresh and build his own team and culture. I want it to be the Jets, but in this day and age of expansion and new culture of hockey; it will be something really stupid and the logo will be some cartoon fantasy animal.

Winnipeg Falcons - Barf

Winnipeg Moose - better than Falcons but still barf

Winnipeg Whiteout - Rolls off the tongue but doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Really, the best thing they could do is call them the Jets. Merch is continuing to fly off the shelves and I am pretty sure if they take over the Jets name, they get a small percentage of the revenue the NHL has made from Merch sales.

Yeah, the NHL has already said that they will open up the rights for the Jets if this new Winnipeg franchise chooses to use them.

Anything other than Jets=fail on their part IMO

Heard from multiple people in Winnipeg that the name will be released at the draft (possibly during the 7th overall pick) and it will be the Jets.

TNSE hosting draft party at MTS Centre. I highly doubt they announce the name with all eyes on the draft and not have it be the Jets.

The MTS Center now has the distinction of being the smallest NHL arena.

Thats already sold out for 5 years with an 8000 person waiting list that was capped. Oh ya, the people on the waiting list are paying $50 a year to be on it.

According to the Winnipeg Sun, Claude Noel will be announced as the head coach of the franchise. [LINK]

They've also released their pre-season schedule, and GM Kevin Cheveldayoff says that their draft pick will be given a 'generic NHL sweater'. [LINK]

Edited by Travis

Winnipeg Ice-Hawks (Blackhawks...)

Winnipeg Bison (too close to the Buffalo)

Manitoba Moose (best option if you ask me)

Winnipeg Freeze

Yuck...

Winnipeg Arctic Fox

Winnipeg Owls

Winnipeg Wolves

Winnipeg Wolverines

These are all indigenous animals in Manitoba...

Edited by SwedeLundin77

Even calling them something new doesn't mean all sorts of merch cash flow. The only direct revenue they get is from merch sold within their own stores. All other merch revenue is split between all 30 teams. I seriously doubt they will notice any negative effects; only positive if they call them the jets. Everyone with Jets gear is just going to wear that anyhow. Sure some people will go to the arena and drop $250 on a new jersey but a majority of them will show up in Jets gear. Just look at games in places like Carolina; you still have people showing up in whalers gear sometimes and it's not even in the same location that once had a team.