• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

CaptainCaveMan

Atlanta Thrashers move to Winnipeg

Rate this topic

But the Jets are in Phoenix now... This makes zero sense to call the new Winnipeg team the Jets. So do the franchise records that Teemu put up magically shift back to the new Jets team or does it stay with the Coyotes? What about retired numbers, are the two teams going to split the retired numbers? Fail on the NHL and new owner of the Jets.

People getting pissed off about the Jets name need to cool their....jets. Sure the old jets are in PHX but it's a completely new franchise with no association to the past jets. Its like saying if your house burns down; you can't buy one; you have to build you own. I mean; its not your history in that house. When you buy a used car you must always refer to it as "Billy Gilmans" car since that's who owned it first and put all these miles on it.

The city of Winnipeg owns the history. Clearly the people in PHX don't give two s***s about the jets history when they don't even care about their own team enough to fill the seats. Where did Selanne score all of his goals? Was a single one scored in PHX, AZ? No; so why should that city have the rights to own that history? It happened on WPG soil and needs to stay there.

Everyone bitching needs to shut it and think about it for a sec. The love and joy the Jets brought so many people doesn't live on in a desert in the US. It lives on in Canada; in Winnipeg.

Congrats to TNSE for listening to what the fans, players and even retired jets wanted.

Edited by NvrFrgtRussian5

But the Jets are in Phoenix now... This makes zero sense to call the new Winnipeg team the Jets. So do the franchise records that Teemu put up magically shift back to the new Jets team or does it stay with the Coyotes? What about retired numbers, are the two teams going to split the retired numbers? Fail on the NHL and new owner of the Jets.

That's stupid. Ok, Shane Doan is in Phoenix now. But Selanne is in Anaheim (for now) and Khahabibulin is in Edmonton (for now). Everyone else is retired. So they were never going to get "their team" back.

When Phx decided to go with a different brand, the NHL obtained the Jets BRAND. The BRAND includes the name, logo, colors, etc. Now, the history is still owned by the Coyotes. It's not part of the brand. So as of right now, they still own the record books.

As for new logo, I like this :thumbup:

Jets.bmp

I like the idea of them being the Jets again but never thought about that side of things. Maybe they'll have the records set up with the years - before the move to Phoenix up until now and after the Thrashers came back.

That's stupid. Ok, Shane Doan is in Phoenix now. But Selanne is in Anaheim (for now) and Khahabibulin is in Edmonton (for now). Everyone else is retired. So they were never going to get "their team" back.

When Phx decided to go with a different brand, the NHL obtained the Jets BRAND. The BRAND includes the name, logo, colors, etc. Now, the history is still owned by the Coyotes. It's not part of the brand. So as of right now, they still own the record books.

Jets.bmp

Where did you find the new logo? Didn't think they released it yet.

*Ah, never mind, misread what you meant ;)

Edited by R-Dizzle

Its going to be tough for them to outdo the vintage Jets logo. But, we'll see.

I haven't seen any confirmation of "Winnipeg Jets" either. It could very well be the Manitoba Jets, something the Premier of Manitoba hinted at earlier. I'm just glad its not the Moose :thumbup:

I haven't seen any confirmation of "Winnipeg Jets" either. It could very well be the Manitoba Jets, something the Premier of Manitoba hinted at earlier. I'm just glad its not the Moose :thumbup:

http://winnipeg.nhl.com

They absolutely HAVE to go with the retro logo, it's just too classic, if they do update it, do it in a year or 2 from now...

They absolutely HAVE to go with the retro logo, it's just too classic, if they do update it, do it in a year or 2 from now...

The sooner they put a logo out there, the more cash they're liable to make, too. Better just go with a version of the classic.

The sooner they put a logo out there, the more cash they're liable to make, too. Better just go with a version of the classic.

Agreed, then if they decide to "update" the logo in a year or 2, they cash in on all that revenue too... from a business standpoint, going with the retro jersey is the smartest way to go...

Agreed, then if they decide to "update" the logo in a year or 2, they cash in on all that revenue too... from a business standpoint, going with the retro jersey is the smartest way to go...

Sounds like old school Jets logo will just be a 3rd jersey.

Jets.bmp

The NHL only owned the "Jets" branding because it took over ownership of the Coyotes. The NHL does not own the Whalers branding, or branding for any other relocated club. The "new" Jets had to purchase the branding from the Coyotes, and in effect the NHL.

If the Islanders were to move to Hartford and wanted to use the "Whalers" name, they would have to purchase it from the Hurricanes. Another thing we likely won't be seeing is "new" Quebec Nordiques.

. Former Atlanta Thrashers assistant coach Mike Stothers, who didn't have his contract renewed by the Jets after the franchise relocation, is the new head coach of the Western Hockey League's Moose Jaw Warriors.

Looking at his record, including a year in GR, I have one reaction:

OMG_ONOZ_by_u63r.gif

Edited by mjlegend