• Please log in to reply
378 replies to this topic

#221 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 02:41 PM

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! :thumbup: Bettman is going to have an awful time trying to stop teams from moving north now. 17 minutes for 5 year commitments!!! DAAAAAMN!!!

Tell me that prospective owners (and current ones) in struggling markets aren't envious.

Not really, there are strict rules and regulations that need to be followed when relocating a team. There are about 2 or 3 more spots in Canada that can legally have a team without infringing on economical and league anti-trust laws and rules.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#222 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,613 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 03:55 PM

cbc dot ca.

Winnipeg Free Press .

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#223 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 06:54 PM

cbc dot ca.

Winnipeg Free Press .

This should be their mural:
Posted Image
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#224 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 01:47 AM

Wasnt the lack of passion that drove the Jets away. I see empty seats at the Joe all the time. Does that mean you guys lack passion?

The Coyotes have had 7 seasons with 15k+ and five more with 14k+. Before the move, the Jets peaked at 13,550. That's only 88% of the Winnipeg Arena's 15,393 capacity.

The passion may not have driven the Jets away, more likely the size. Winnipeg was a metro area of approximately 650k when the Jets left. In an arena that seats 15,393 for NHL hockey, that's 630k tickets. The GTA is about eight times as large yet the ACC only seats 20k. and the Leafs don't sell out every night.

So Winnipeg hockey *can* work. And obviously, we're about to find out if it will work in the new NHL.

"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."

#225 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,613 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 08:12 AM

Wow - took a whole 17 minutes to meet the needed 13,000 season ticket sales.

Huh - never would've thought they like hockey in Canada...Maybe someone should tell Gary B 'bout that :rolleyes:

6=35%
24=65%
Math don't lie.

#226 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,613 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 08:24 AM

From TSN:

With the Thrashers on their way from Atlanta to Winnipeg, the front office will have a different look.

Thrashers general manager Rick Dudley has been told by True North Sports and Entertainment that he will not be retained as the team's GM.

The club has bought out the final four-years of Dudley's contract.

Who's next?

#227 mad dingo

mad dingo

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 09:37 AM

Season ticket waiting list capped at 8k!

#228 atodaso

atodaso

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 01:24 PM

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this earlier in the thread but... the addition of a 7th Canadian team will screw up CBC's annual Hockey Day In Canada. I'm thinking this upcoming season Winnipeg won't get to participate because the schedule has been made already but the following season CBC will have to pick one team to leave out.

#229 Hiei

Hiei

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 03:03 PM

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this earlier in the thread but... the addition of a 7th Canadian team will screw up CBC's annual Hockey Day In Canada. I'm thinking this upcoming season Winnipeg won't get to participate because the schedule has been made already but the following season CBC will have to pick one team to leave out.

Either that, or they power it up and include an American team. Maybe Montreal/Boston and then the other 6 play each other....or Toronto/Detroit

"Hit em with your purse, ya *****!" - Random Wings fans shouting at Franziska

#230 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,613 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 04:24 PM

All it takes is for another faulty franchise to be moved to Canada; get on it, Bettman!
The money the League will make on merchandise from this move boggles the mind.

#231 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,613 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 04:50 PM

From Winnipeg Free Press

True North has offered the GM position of Winnipeg's new NHL franchise to Kevin Cheveldayoff, according to several sources.

Cheveldayoff has held the position of assistant GM and senior director of hockey operations with the Chicago Blackhawks for two years and was part of that organization's Stanley Cup winning management team in 2009-10.

The Free Press first reported that Cheveldayoff was in the running for True North's top hockey job last Friday. True North informed Atlanta GM Rick Dudley on Saturday that they had elected to not retain him as the new Winnipeg team's GM.

No time being wasted in Winnipeg.

#232 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,908 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 03:32 AM

Just thought I'd share this. It was posted in the hockey thread in the off-topic area of a site I visit that has nothing to do with hockey.

Our beloved Thrashers are going to Winnapeg, My husband told me that thousands of season tickets sold out within a few minutes. We used to love our Thrashers, but there are so many reasons that Atlanta can't handle a hockey team.

Most of the people that live here are from somewhere else. They already have a favorite team. The rest it's where the games were played. The train system here, Marta, is so inefficient. Taking the train back and forth, especially the trip home. It wasn't unusual to wait, and wait for a train to take you home, not the best choice when you have to get up in the morning to go to work. Waiting for hours, and not the safest place you would want to be.

Please Winnapeg, take care of our Thrashers. It would mean the world to me. If you rename the team, do it. Just take care of our team. And go play good hockey.

#233 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,521 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 12:31 PM

Islanders to Quebec City next, that solves CBC's dilemma, haha.

Then we move Florida and wait on Bettman to give up on Phoenix and the league will be in good shape.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#234 atodaso

atodaso

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 01:04 PM

Islanders to Quebec City next, that solves CBC's dilemma, haha.

Then we move Florida and wait on Bettman to give up on Phoenix and the league will be in good shape.

lol that's what i was thinking. although, i have phoenix moving to qc.

#235 drumnj

drumnj

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 01:41 PM

If anyone is an AdultSwim fan they had a bump last night about Canada stealing teams from the US.
"First the Atlanta Flames to Calgary, now the Atlanta Thrashers to Winnipeg."

Guess if Canadians want more hockey teams by means of relocation they'll have to hope for more Atlanta teams :P

Got FSD setup with all it's glory.  Plan to have pre and post game coverage along with Wingspan and 24/7.  Youtube page: RedWingsLive1

Red Wings and Griffins Live Games Check my profile
Always looking for people to help with the site, be it coding (PHP & JS) or design work. PM me if you'd be interested.

Cleary on, Mike!
Cleary on, Ken!
Dan's World, Dan's World... Mediocrity!... Excellent!

#236 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,613 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 01:57 PM

...stealing...

I don't think so.

#237 CaliWingsNut

CaliWingsNut

PeeWee Bettman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 04:21 PM

I don't think so.

borrowing till the economy shifts?

Balsillie on the other hand... did try to steal.

Edited by CaliWingsNut, 06 June 2011 - 04:23 PM.

Figures don't lie, but liars sure figure. - Mark Twain

#238 MacK_Attack

MacK_Attack

Old School

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,676 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 04:33 PM

The Coyotes have had 7 seasons with 15k+ and five more with 14k+. Before the move, the Jets peaked at 13,550. That's only 88% of the Winnipeg Arena's 15,393 capacity.

The passion may not have driven the Jets away, more likely the size. Winnipeg was a metro area of approximately 650k when the Jets left. In an arena that seats 15,393 for NHL hockey, that's 630k tickets. The GTA is about eight times as large yet the ACC only seats 20k. and the Leafs don't sell out every night.

So Winnipeg hockey *can* work. And obviously, we're about to find out if it will work in the new NHL.

How many tickets would the Coyotes sell if they sold at even an average ticket price? It's well known they give tickets away in ridiculous numbers. How many of those 15k tickets were bought by the owners in order to make the revenue sharing threshold?

If the Coyotes were selling a legitimate 15,000 tickets a night at decent prices, they wouldn't be losing $25+ million per year.

And yes, the Leafs do sell-out every night. They just have a lot of tickets that go unused because of the lousy product. But they're sold.

#239 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,587 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 04:35 PM

borrowing till the economy shifts?

Balsillie on the other hand... did try to steal.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Balsillie's multiple offers for the Pens/Preds/Yotes more than what was the settled amount for the Thrashers?

Either way Jim baby didn't play well with Gary, or the BOG.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#240 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,613 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 10:18 AM

Posted Image