• Please log in to reply
378 replies to this topic

#361 Red Crazy

Red Crazy

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 08:58 AM

Can you only imagine if they do make the playoffs! The MTS Center is the loudest, craziest arena in the league now. It will be nuts if they get into the playoffs.

#362 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 09:08 AM

All copies of Bettman's newspapers have had the sports section removed today. His thinking about revenues lost makes him extra irritable.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#363 Red Crazy

Red Crazy

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 09:15 AM

All copies of Bettman's newspapers have had the sports section removed today. His thinking about revenues lost makes him extra irritable.

LOL, I would love to know at the end of the year how much money the Jets have sold worth of mechandise! It is everywhere in Manitoba, and everywhere you go somebody has something Jets on! Its great for the City and great for hockey!

#364 ToMaToToWnWinGsFaN_24

ToMaToToWnWinGsFaN_24

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 12:23 PM

really happy for Winnipeg. they are division leaders now. who would of thought that aboot 3/4 of the way into the season. especially with the travel its unreal. good for them and hope they continue to do well.

#365 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,976 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 12:33 PM

WAIT...WHAT?...THE THRASHERS ARE MOVING BACK TO WINNIPEG!?! WHOO HOO! BACK WHERE THEY BELONG BABY!!!!

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#366 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 01:52 PM

#367 auxlepli

auxlepli

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,762 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 09:59 PM

The Thrashers belong in Atlanta, as do the Flames really.
That the franchises didn't flourish there is because of poor ownership in both cases. Look it up.
It has nothing do with lack of fan support. Bettman chose one franchise to back over another because of toxic ownership in Atlanta.
That the NHL isn't in the ninth largest U.S. TV market really is shameful. Especially when that same market is corporate headquarters to UPS, Delta, Home Depot and Coca-Cola.

Still, it's hard deny Canadian enthusiasm for hockey and that counts for a lot.
It's hard though when a team leaves a city. I hate to see it for any fan base.

#368 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,560 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 10:01 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiIdgIE45Lc

....aaaaaand now I don't like Winnipeg, haha.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#369 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 07:13 AM

#370 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 07:21 AM

LOL, I would love to know at the end of the year how much money the Jets have sold worth of mechandise! It is everywhere in Manitoba, and everywhere you go somebody has something Jets on! Its great for the City and great for hockey!

there's an insane amount of Jets schwag around these days. all the Jets licence plates are almost sold out too. i think they've sold in or around 50000-100000.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#371 T.Low

T.Low

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,980 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 01:30 AM

That the franchises didn't flourish there is because of poor ownership in both cases. Look it up.
It has nothing do with lack of fan support. Bettman chose one franchise to back over another because of toxic ownership in Atlanta.
That the NHL isn't in the ninth largest U.S. TV market really is shameful. Especially when that same market is corporate headquarters to UPS, Delta, Home Depot and Coca-Cola.

Show me the demographics of Atlanta and then explain to me how that equals hockey fans. As a UofM econ major, I'm not seeing it.

#372 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,938 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 10:50 PM

On the FAN590 today, Bob McCown was hinting that Quebec may have a team by next year, that's why they put money in the current area. Also there's plans to build and NHL rink in September.

Also TSN radio reported that the AHL has been touring jobbing.com arena for possibly putting a team there.
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#373 zetterbergfan

zetterbergfan

Zetterbergfan since 1999

• PipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 11:01 PM

On the FAN590 today, Bob McCown was hinting that Quebec may have a team by next year, that's why they put money in the current area. Also there's plans to build and NHL rink in September.

Also TSN radio reported that the AHL has been touring jobbing.com arena for possibly putting a team there.

With Seattle's possible stadium in the works, the NHL would be very attracted to this region as well.

#374 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,664 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 07:59 AM

I really hope Quebec City gets a team via Phoenix; at least there's a tremendous amount of fan support as we see "Nordique Nation" attending games around the league.

It would only be a matter of a few years before we'd see another "Yotes" if a team were to re-locate to Seattle; they seem to have a greater interest in getting back an NBA franchise, and would most likely use an NHL team/new building as bait.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#375 redstag88

redstag88

Prospect

• 42 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 11:46 AM

I could see an AHL team in Phoenix/Glendale

#376 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,938 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 09:03 PM

I have a friend who knows a NHL ref. He told me last year before it happened, that Atlanta was going to Winnipeg, when everyone thought it was going to be Phoenix. Well, he was right.

I asked him yesterday if there's any truth to these Phoenix to Quebec rumors. He said he's going to email his ref friend and pass any info on to me. If I find out something good, I'll let you all know!
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#377 MabusIncarnate

MabusIncarnate

The Truth Is Out There

• Silver Booster Mod
  • 2,226 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 10:37 PM

I've lived in Atlanta for about 11 years now, and really in my experience it's just a Football/Baseball town. No one cares about hockey and i'm not overexaggerating. I have worked at jobs with a ton of human interaction, and I can count how many hockey fans I have met here on one hand. There was just very little following, and it was very surprising. Half the people I work with didn't even know we had a hockey team until they were gone, so aside from poor ownership, I also have to contribute a large portion of it to lack of interest.

13585921555_24551f5658.jpg

#378 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,938 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 11:31 PM

I've lived in Atlanta for about 11 years now, and really in my experience it's just a Football/Baseball town. No one cares about hockey and i'm not overexaggerating. I have worked at jobs with a ton of human interaction, and I can count how many hockey fans I have met here on one hand. There was just very little following, and it was very surprising. Half the people I work with didn't even know we had a hockey team until they were gone, so aside from poor ownership, I also have to contribute a large portion of it to lack of interest.

Add to that, Atlanta isn't that great of a sports town to begin with.
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#379 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 12:29 PM

From TSN;

Financially, the Jets made too much money to qualify for the revenue-sharing model they studied so carefully.

That means only one thing: More for Uncle Gary!!!