• Please log in to reply
378 replies to this topic

#21 zettie85

zettie85

Selke Candidate

• HoF Booster
  • 1,777 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 09:31 PM

Bettman has promised Ilitch a move to the east for years. If Atlanta moves, it should be us.
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

#22 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,947 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 09:36 PM

I hope this is true. We need more teams in Canada.

2 more, Quebec should get the Nordiques back, and Toronto should get another team.

Bettman has promised Ilitch a move to the east for years. If Atlanta moves, it should be us.

I still think it's Columbus.
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#23 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 21,064 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 09:38 PM

So if the Wings do move, which division do we move to?

Can't be the Southeast. No matter who moves there, only 3 teams will actually be located near the Southeast. Remember, Washington is already there and are hardly located in the Southeast geographically.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#24 McAwesome

McAwesome

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,573 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 10:08 PM

If Atlanta moves west, and Detroit moves east, then someone is going to be moved into a division that doesn't make a lot of sense geographically.

Florida, Tampa, Carolina, Washington, Philly?
Rangers, Islanders, Devils, Boston, Montreal?
Detroit, Toronto, Buffalo, Pittsburgh, Ottawa?

That might work, but as many have already said, the rest of the western teams count on the extra money when the Wings come to town, so if the move does end up happening, it would probably be Nashville moving to the Southeast, Minnesota moving to the Central, and Winnipeg moving to the Northeast.

What we really need is to move 2 teams from east to west (Panthers to Seattle anyone?) so that Detroit and Columbus can both move east (preferably with the BJs moving to Quebec), thereby ensuring that all teams in the Eastern time zone are in the Eastern conference. But I digress...

Edited by McAwesome, 19 May 2011 - 10:14 PM.

7yss.jpg

Thanks MabusIncarnate

#25 mjtm77

mjtm77

mjtm77

• PipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 10:14 PM

Wrong. Winnepeg will be in the east and simply just take Atlanta's spot in the South East
Posted Image

#26 Crashnburnluder

Crashnburnluder

Crashnburnluder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,270 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 10:29 PM

I could see them keeping Winnipeg in the east but not long term. I also don't think they would move Nashville. Why move a Central timezone team instead of one of the eastern timezone teams...

#27 puckbags

puckbags

The Future

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,616 posts
  • Location:Cobble Hill, BC, Canada ( 2,522 Miles from the Joe)

Posted 19 May 2011 - 10:35 PM

Wrong. Winnepeg will be in the east and simply just take Atlanta's spot in the South East

Yep that is the rumor , Winnipeg will have to suffer in the Southeast for at least a year and the re-alignment would be proposed. According the the globe and mail in Canada this deal is done.
Atlanta to Winnipeg

"Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Refuses to Work Hard"

#28 Trapt1307

Trapt1307

Tootoo + Hem = Win

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 10:36 PM

For one season, maybe. It would be completely foolish for a team in Western Canada to play in the same division as a team in Miami long term.

If they keep them in the East for a season, their travel is gonna be brutal.

I feel bad for the players. Not only will they have to deal with the travel for a year (if the rumor is true), they'll go from an Atlanta winter to a Winnipeg winter. Yikes.

Edited by Trapt1307, 19 May 2011 - 10:37 PM.

"Scotty hated the world and treated everybody the same, from me to Steve Yzerman,'' Legace said. ''Scotty would rip anybody, and had the personality of ant."

#29 puckbags

puckbags

The Future

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,616 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 10:36 PM

He has? No offense but I would like to see some proof of that.

#30 Buppy

Buppy

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,988 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 10:38 PM

So if the Wings do move, which division do we move to?

Can't be the Southeast. No matter who moves there, only 3 teams will actually be located near the Southeast. Remember, Washington is already there and are hardly located in the Southeast geographically.

That's why Nashville makes the most sense. Geographically, they're closest to Carolina and the Florida teams, and about the same distance to Washington as Atlanta was. Minnesota then joins the Central, and Winnipeg takes their spot in the NW.

Edited by Buppy, 19 May 2011 - 10:40 PM.

#31 puckbags

puckbags

The Future

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,616 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 10:42 PM

He has? No offense but I would like to see some proof of that.

Nevermind, just found a good link about possible move and other Wings stuff
Kulkas corner

#32 10 Minute Misconduct

10 Minute Misconduct

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,551 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 11:17 PM

Wings won't be moving this year. Dreger said the other day they'd prolly just put Winnipeg into the Southeast for one year then re-do the divisions next year.

Posted Image

#33 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,611 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 11:19 PM

Nashville will likely move to the Southeast.

Minnesota will move to the Central.

Winnipeg will move to the Northwest.

As I've stated before, the Wings are the only team in the West that guarantees ratings. The league will not be benefited by this move, even though us fans would love it.

You know, I really don't think this is true. I've even said that before, but when I think about it, it's silly. LA is one of the biggest markets, is it not? San Jose, Vancouver, Calgary, Dallas, Chicago, these are all big markets, I think. The only ones that really fail are Phoenix, maybe Minnesota, Nashville and Columbus, right? So the West doesn't NEED Detroit anymore than the East needs Detroit. In the end I think the numbers wash and they're a non-factor.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#34 Trapt1307

Trapt1307

Tootoo + Hem = Win

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 11:23 PM

I have a weird feeling that the Wings already know that they're going to the East the year after next. In that article that was floating around a few days ago, Devellano said that they won't be moving to the East next year, but and after that they're "saying prayers" or something like that (sounded like he was joking). To me, this means that they've been told that they're going to the East for 2012-13, but he didn't want to let the cat out of the bag yet. Now we're hearing that Winnipeg will stay in the East for a season, so that kind of confirms my suspicion.

Honestly, I think the smarter move for the league is to move Nashville, but I've wanted the Wings in the East since forever. It's better for the league for the Wings to be in the West, but it's better for the Wings to be in the East.

Edited by Trapt1307, 19 May 2011 - 11:25 PM.

"Scotty hated the world and treated everybody the same, from me to Steve Yzerman,'' Legace said. ''Scotty would rip anybody, and had the personality of ant."

#35 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,611 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 11:23 PM

For one season, maybe. It would be completely foolish for a team in Western Canada to play in the same division as a team in Miami long term.

If they keep them in the East for a season, their travel is gonna be brutal.

I feel bad for the players. Not only will they have to deal with the travel for a year (if the rumor is true), they'll go from an Atlanta winter to a Winnipeg winter. Yikes.

Travel wouldn't be any different than Detroit's travel each year, would it? Vancouver does a lot, too.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#36 Bannedforlife

Bannedforlife

your mom goes to college

• PipPipPipPip
  • 862 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 11:32 PM

I dont understand why everyone thinks its such a good idea for Winnipeg to get a team. Didnt they lose their first team due to poor attendance? I also seem to remember reading that players hated playing/living there. Am I way off-base?

#37 Trapt1307

Trapt1307

Tootoo + Hem = Win

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 11:42 PM

Travel wouldn't be any different than Detroit's travel each year, would it? Vancouver does a lot, too.

Yeah it would. They're playing in the southeast. That means they have to travel to the southeast 12 times a year. Then they would have to fly to the east coast 20 other times for conference games. At least the Wings and Canucks are in divisions that are relatively close to them geographically. It's a lot different flying from Detroit to Chicago than it is flying from Winnipeg to Tampa.

I dont understand why everyone thinks its such a good idea for Winnipeg to get a team. Didnt they lose their first team due to poor attendance? I also seem to remember reading that players hated playing/living there. Am I way off-base?

Really? I thought the issue was an old arena, but I was too young at the time. It would be surprising to me if it was an attendance issue knowing how crazy Canadians are about hockey.

#38 Majsheppard

Majsheppard

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 11:51 PM

It GD better NOT be Columbus!!!! That would be just what the Evil Dr. Bettman would do to screw the Wings! This is OUR ONLY chance to move east, when is the next team gonna go west? Probably NEVER!

Panthers to Kansas City is a possibility to me.

Yep that is the rumor , Winnipeg will have to suffer in the Southeast for at least a year and the re-alignment would be proposed. According the the globe and mail in Canada this deal is done.
Atlanta to Winnipeg

That is a dumb, dumb plan.

Why not just realign now, like it is that hard to do???
"It is a lot easier to be an ******* to words than to people"-xkcd

Tootoo does NOT belong on this team. He is classless and I would rather see the Wings be bad than classless. I feel the same way about Bertuzzi as well, but he at least CAN make the team better. With Tootoo the team becomes worse and in danger of being classless. Would you have liked Claude on the team? Or Roy? No. So why would you be okay with that POS.

This thread has been closed due to emotions being higher than people's ability to read, interpret, and properly respond to simple posts.

#39 mad dingo

mad dingo

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 11:52 PM

Farewell my beloved Red Wings. It was truly an incredible ride these past 15 years, but the time has FINALLY come to join an old friend in pursuit of Lord Stanley.

#40 Majsheppard

Majsheppard

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 11:52 PM

I also want to say, right now. I am going to be LIVID if they put us in a division with the Penguins. LIVID.
"It is a lot easier to be an ******* to words than to people"-xkcd

Tootoo does NOT belong on this team. He is classless and I would rather see the Wings be bad than classless. I feel the same way about Bertuzzi as well, but he at least CAN make the team better. With Tootoo the team becomes worse and in danger of being classless. Would you have liked Claude on the team? Or Roy? No. So why would you be okay with that POS.

This thread has been closed due to emotions being higher than people's ability to read, interpret, and properly respond to simple posts.