Atlanta Thrashers move to Winnipeg

• Please log in to reply
378 replies to this topic

#41 puckbags

puckbags

The Future

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,616 posts
  • Location:Cobble Hill, BC, Canada ( 2,522 Miles from the Joe)

Posted 20 May 2011 - 12:11 AM

Yeah it would. They're playing in the southeast. That means they have to travel to the southeast 12 times a year. Then they would have to fly to the east coast 20 other times for conference games. At least the Wings and Canucks are in divisions that are relatively close to them geographically. It's a lot different flying from Detroit to Chicago than it is flying from Winnipeg to Tampa.

Really? I thought the issue was an old arena, but I was too young at the time. It would be surprising to me if it was an attendance issue knowing how crazy Canadians are about hockey.

The old arena was a problem but also the Canadian dollar was worth about 65 cents US back then which was even more of a problem. In an uncapped era with a bad arena and a bad dollar they just couldn't do it.
Another Jets link...decent read

Edited by puckbags, 20 May 2011 - 12:13 AM.

"Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Refuses to Work Hard"

#42 redwings1914

redwings1914

Wingin' It since '90

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,427 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 12:36 AM

I don't understand all of the commotion about Detroit staying in the West since we sell out arenas, let's take a look of the teams in the west:

Central

Chicago Blackhawks--They sell out their arena every game.
Columbus Blue Jackets--Undoubtedly we are a hot ticket for them, but so is Chicago and if they were in the playoff hunt every year they would be more popular
Nashville Predators--We are a hot ticket, however as this team is improving as we saw in the playoffs; any game is gonna sell more tickets now.
St. Louis Blues--It's a hockey market, if the team wasn't crappy they'd sell very well.

Northwest
Calgary Flames--I don't think I've seen a Flames game in the last 8 years or so that wasn't sold out/near sold out
Colorado Avalanche--The rivalry is dead, the Wings are still a good team and of course they will sell well, the team being average over the last few years doesn't help.
Edmonton Oilers--Very loyal fans, Wings aren't their meal tickets.
Minnesota Wild--"State of Hockey" enough said
Vancouver Canucks--They're about to be in the finals, they have great fans and I think a Canucks/Griffins game would sell well

Pacific
Anaheim Ducks--
Dallas Stars--Team has been on the slide lately, fans want to see a winner.
Los Angeles Kings--Up and coming team, Wings are a hot ticket but they aren't having problems drawing people to other games.
Phoenix Coyotes--This is the only team that "banks" on the Wings coming twice a year and quite frankly, hockey doesn't belong here or Miami.
San Jose Sharks--Shark Tank is always rocking no matter what the team

Meanwhile in the East there is the Islanders, Panthers, Lightning, Devils and Senators who would all LOVE to have two chances for the Wings to come in and bring in more revenue

There are teams that don't draw well in each conference, whether the reason is talent or location. The Wings will sell out just about every road game they play...even if that game is played in Mexico City.
It is not a sprint, yet a marathon.

#43 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,596 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 01:11 AM

I'm not really sure whats going on here, The Globe and Mail usually is a pretty decent newspaper...and yet it seems like they jumped the gun on this one. True North is denying that a deal is done...and Daly is saying the Board of Governors hasn't agreed to anything (obviously, but an important point).

Well now, assuming the deal does go through, how do we think the Board will vote? Seems like True North played this much better than Mr. Blackberries, so lets see.

Also, to the guy who was speculating if the Wings would be placed in the Penguins' division.... :blink: if thats going to happen, just keep them in the West!!!

#44 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,596 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 01:17 AM

The old arena was a problem but also the Canadian dollar was worth about 65 cents US back then which was even more of a problem. In an uncapped era with a bad arena and a bad dollar they just couldn't do it.
Another Jets link...decent read

You forgot one of the most important factors in the post-lockout era: revenue sharing. That, combined with a strong dollar/loonie, strong (well, stronger than ours) canadian economy, new arena, and good ownership should be a recipe for success in the Peg.

#45 Shoreline

Shoreline

Panzerfaust

• HoF Booster
  • 12,817 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 02:24 AM

I dont understand why everyone thinks its such a good idea for Winnipeg to get a team. Didnt they lose their first team due to poor attendance? I also seem to remember reading that players hated playing/living there. Am I way off-base?

They couldn't financially support their team because of the lack of salary cap, lack of revenue sharing, and other teams spending over $10m US for superstars and $70m for an entire roster which a much smaller market Canadian team like Winnipeg and even Edmonton couldn't afford, and the U.S. dollar being around $1.50 CAD (Canadian dollar/loonie) at this time. Now the US dollar is $0.96 CAD.

Their arena would be the MTS Centre now where the Manitoba Moose (AHL team where Vancouver Canucks get developed players from) plays not in the old Winnipeg Arena.

The circumstances upon which Winnipeg had to be moved have completely turned around, and more than that, despite the fact that the city won't subsidize the team, they have private funds being used instead of exposing taxpayers, which is a heavy heavy bonus.

I'm pretty excited about the Winnipeg situation and I would not buy another NHL licensed product ever again if it turns out they are using Winnipeg and NHL fans, pulling their strings around, by letting this sort of frenzied news get half-hearted rebuttals which keeps said fans extremely hopeful along with more positive moves toward that direction by more than one NHL club.

Edited by Shoreline, 20 May 2011 - 02:26 AM.

#46 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,937 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 02:50 AM

That's why Nashville makes the most sense. Geographically, they're closest to Carolina and the Florida teams, and about the same distance to Washington as Atlanta was. Minnesota then joins the Central, and Winnipeg takes their spot in the NW.

Since Winnipeg would be closer to then NW than Minnesota, that makes sense. The next closest thing for Minnesota is the Central.

Who leaves the central? Not Chicago or St. Louis. They're too far west. That leaves Nashville, Columbus, or Detroit.

Since the SE has the blank spot to fill, it does seem like Nashville would be the best choice for the SE. Pulling anyone else down there would be just as wonky as having the Caps in that division, but there they are since they are the closest thing.

The evil part of me would like to see Minny in the Central with Detroit. I get the Wild games on TV here. That's just me being selfish, so you can ignore that part if you don't like it.

#47 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 07:55 AM

I can't imagine the League allowing the annoucement of the alleged/pending sale to be made during the playoffs. Bettman needs more time to buy liniment, for the pulled muscles he'll have from patting himself on the back for his part in this deal. Or, is that Daly's job?

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#48 grwingfan

grwingfan

Rookie

• Pip
  • 190 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 07:58 AM

Since Winnipeg would be closer to then NW than Minnesota, that makes sense. The next closest thing for Minnesota is the Central.

Who leaves the central? Not Chicago or St. Louis. They're too far west. That leaves Nashville, Columbus, or Detroit.

Since the SE has the blank spot to fill, it does seem like Nashville would be the best choice for the SE. Pulling anyone else down there would be just as wonky as having the Caps in that division, but there they are since they are the closest thing.

The evil part of me would like to see Minny in the Central with Detroit. I get the Wild games on TV here. That's just me being selfish, so you can ignore that part if you don't like it.

This is how I see it shaking out:

Nashville goers to the Eastern Conference (SouthEast Division)

Central Divisoin:

Detroit
Chicago
Columbus
St Louis
Minnesota

Pacific:

San Jose
Anaheim
Phoenix
LA
Dallas

Northwest:

Vancouver
Calgary
Winnipeg
Colorado
Edmonton

#49 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 08:28 AM

Wings aren't going East. I can see it being the Preds or the BJ's. Bring the Wild into the Central and there is your "re-alignment". Sad but most likely the facts.

Being regionally more east than any of these teams mentioned sort of proves an awful lot of points with this league. I also agree that Chicago can't be the only O6 team in the West, though. Just the breaks and also that we sell a ton of tickets in the crap hockey markets in California.

Edited by HankthaTank, 20 May 2011 - 08:29 AM.

TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.

#50 ACallToArms

ACallToArms

1st Line Sniper

• Gold Booster
  • 862 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 08:39 AM

Wings aren't going East. I can see it being the Preds or the BJ's. Bring the Wild into the Central and there is your "re-alignment". Sad but most likely the facts.

Being regionally more east than any of these teams mentioned sort of proves an awful lot of points with this league. I also agree that Chicago can't be the only O6 team in the West, though. Just the breaks and also that we sell a ton of tickets in the crap hockey markets in California.

This is what I was thinking. I don't know how much of a factor it is, but the league must be paying attention to how certain stadiums fill up all of a sudden when the Wings are in town (I'm looking at you, Phoenix).

#51 sputman

sputman

4th Line Baggage

• HoF Booster
  • 3,080 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 08:43 AM

Better be called the Jets.

any word on this? certainly they won't be called the thrashers still - that just doesn't sound right at all.

maybe a combination of the two?

THE WINNIPEG THREATS!

Posted Image

:P
Posted Image

#52 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 08:45 AM

THE WINNIPEG THREATS!

Posted Image
TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.

#53 sputman

sputman

4th Line Baggage

• HoF Booster
  • 3,080 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 08:47 AM

Posted Image

lol
Posted Image

#54 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,611 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 09:46 AM

any word on this? certainly they won't be called the thrashers still - that just doesn't sound right at all.

maybe a combination of the two?

THE WINNIPEG THREATS!

Posted Image

:P

Rumor has it they would be the Manitoba Moose, not even Winnipeg whatever.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#55 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,339 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 10:11 AM

They couldn't financially support their team because of the lack of salary cap, lack of revenue sharing, and other teams spending over $10m US for superstars and $70m for an entire roster which a much smaller market Canadian team like Winnipeg and even Edmonton couldn't afford, and the U.S. dollar being around $1.50 CAD (Canadian dollar/loonie) at this time. Now the US dollar is $0.96 CAD.

Their arena would be the MTS Centre now where the Manitoba Moose (AHL team where Vancouver Canucks get developed players from) plays not in the old Winnipeg Arena.

The circumstances upon which Winnipeg had to be moved have completely turned around, and more than that, despite the fact that the city won't subsidize the team, they have private funds being used instead of exposing taxpayers, which is a heavy heavy bonus.

I'm pretty excited about the Winnipeg situation and I would not buy another NHL licensed product ever again if it turns out they are using Winnipeg and NHL fans, pulling their strings around, by letting this sort of frenzied news get half-hearted rebuttals which keeps said fans extremely hopeful along with more positive moves toward that direction by more than one NHL club.

Toronto Blue Jays and Tampa Bay Rays are able to keep teams afloat minus a salary cap while having a very very low and still being able to stay competitive. Hell, look at the Predators who have a low payroll and a self imposed cap.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#56 Datsyerberger

Datsyerberger

"Dat's yer burger, Hank."

• HoF Booster
  • 3,097 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 10:24 AM

Wings won't move. Columbus or Nashville will. Nashville would be the only CST team in the East, so I think all the East owners would whine about that, but on the other hand, CLB makes less sense in the Southeast.. and I think moving CLB to the Southeast would kill that franchise. 0 big draws for them in their own division. Nashville seems inevitable, and I won't miss playing against them. Let the east deal with Trotz.

The Wings, however, will move in what I feel to be an inevitable expansion in the next couple years that will almost certainly add two teams to the west (Kansas City and one of: Houston, Seattle, Portland, Vegas). In such a move I feel that the league would also try to realign things in such a way that Chicago joins Detroit going East. Quebec City will not see a team from expansion, but rather, relocation of an East team.
If some bored artist wants to make me a signature, feel free to cut loose and do so.

Of course, I could get off my lame rear and do something.

#57 mmamolo

mmamolo

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,809 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 10:24 AM

Two pretty good reads. Sounds like it's done

Atlanta Thrashers Sale to Winnipeg Done. Not So Fast Says TSN

Atlanta Thrashers Sale to Winniped Done
Posted Imagewww.unsportsmanlike.ca

#58 atodaso

atodaso

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 11:08 AM

Rumor has it they would be the Manitoba Moose, not even Winnipeg whatever.

it would be cool if they kept the old logo too

Posted Image

#59 Shoreline

Shoreline

Panzerfaust

• HoF Booster
  • 12,817 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 11:25 AM

Toronto Blue Jays and Tampa Bay Rays are able to keep teams afloat minus a salary cap while having a very very low and still being able to stay competitive. Hell, look at the Predators who have a low payroll and a self imposed cap.

The Jays have been able to simply because of TV deals that even the Leafs benefit from. Not because of much interest.

The Devil Rays also haven't been around long enough plus they got lucky and won a championship.. Look at the time it took Phoenix to go under and that was with tens of millions in losses every season.

#60 InKennyWeTrust

InKennyWeTrust

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 695 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 12:10 PM

Wings won't move. Columbus or Nashville will. Nashville would be the only CST team in the East, so I think all the East owners would whine about that, but on the other hand, CLB makes less sense in the Southeast.. and I think moving CLB to the Southeast would kill that franchise. 0 big draws for them in their own division. Nashville seems inevitable, and I won't miss playing against them. Let the east deal with Trotz.

I wonder if there would be any consequences of having a team named after Union soldiers in the American Civil War playing in Florida, Georgia, and Carolina multiple times per year? I'm an Ohi'an who graduated from a high school named after Phil Sheridan- I made the mistake of wearing a 'Sheridan High School' shirt driving to Tampa a few years ago, I almost got mobbed in Tennessee trying to get gas.