• Please log in to reply
378 replies to this topic

#121 Shoreline

Shoreline

Panzerfaust

• HoF Booster
  • 12,817 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 05:25 AM

With all due respect, I would not count on the Wings moving to the Eastern Conference. Quebec City is in the process of building a new arena with the sole purpose of attracting an NHL team. For those unfamiliar with Quebec City, the Nordiques played there until they moved to Denver, and became the Colorado Avalanche. This could happen as early as 2012.

I don't see a Quebec franchise happening that early. The only possibility given the slow time it takes to sell a team is Phoenix and Lord and Savior Bettman has done everything he can do to keep the team there, and the city of Glendale has decided to foot the inevitable losses that will come by running the team per annum. Given the problems there are with a handful of teams fiscally, and because of revenue sharing, it makes zero sense to expand. Quebec will be waiting a while.

Edited by Shoreline, 26 May 2011 - 05:26 AM.

#122 KrazyGangsta

KrazyGangsta

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 2,465 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 10:43 AM

I don't see a Quebec franchise happening that early. The only possibility given the slow time it takes to sell a team is Phoenix and Lord and Savior Bettman has done everything he can do to keep the team there, and the city of Glendale has decided to foot the inevitable losses that will come by running the team per annum. Given the problems there are with a handful of teams fiscally, and because of revenue sharing, it makes zero sense to expand. Quebec will be waiting a while.

Agreed, I'm from Montreal and last I heard from the arena was that it wouldn't be up and running before 2014. I haven't re-heard any other news in which it indicated it'll be up and running as early in 2012, unless I missed some news.

I could be wrong tho.

#123 NeverForgetMac25

NeverForgetMac25

Kate: Jr. Wing Nut

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 18,184 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 10:53 AM

Pretty sad how people protest over moving a hockey team, instead of something like corporate greed.

:violin:
It's amazing how much clarity comes when you care more about the Red Wings than any individual player.

"They are the best team in the world. They are a team that can just take over when they want to," Chicago's Patrick Kane said (of the Detroit Red Wings).

#124 SpiritFan

SpiritFan

Rookie

• Pip
  • 141 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 06:42 PM

I didn't read through this whole thread, so forgive me if it's posted elsewhere, but if you don't want to have to keep searching for news on the move from Atlanta to Winnipeg, just go to this website to see if the move has been made yet:

http://www.didthethr...innipegyet.com/

#125 WpgMikos

WpgMikos

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 11:51 AM

If the move does happen (I expect it will) Down Goes Brown has some tips for Jets fans on what to changes have occurred in the NHL since 1996.

Down Goes Brown: Guide to how the NHL has changed since the Jets left.

1996 - The Atlanta Thrashers don't exist yet.
2011 - The Atlanta Thrashers don't exist any more.

1996 - The Florida Panthers were swept by the Colorado Avalanche in the finals.
2011 - Having learned a valuable lesson from that experience, the Florida Panthers haven't lost another playoff series in ten years.

#126 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 11:57 AM

Aye. Unlike Winnipeg (True North), Quebec City does not have a multi-billion dollar corporation willing to buy a team and move it.

Edited by Crymson, 27 May 2011 - 11:58 AM.

#127 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,583 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 01:44 PM

Aye. Unlike Winnipeg (True North), Quebec City does not have a multi-billion dollar corporation willing to buy a team and move it.

Actually, multi-billion dollar corportation Quebecor has been trying to get an arena built to bring a team there. Thats been going on for a while now.

CBC had an update today:

CBC Story

#128 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 02:25 PM

TSN.

Atlanta without hockey is like...

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#129 13GoWings40

13GoWings40

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 12:46 AM

http://sports.yahoo....rashers-7003048

So it looks like today might be the day, so long Atlanta :flush:

Edited by 13GoWings40, 31 May 2011 - 12:58 AM.

#130 mad dingo

mad dingo

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 07:59 AM

http://sports.yahoo....rashers-7003048

So it looks like today might be the day, so long Atlanta :flush:

I will be there for the party. Rain or Shine. Got a pack of joints and a backpack full of beer!

#131 OzWing19

OzWing19

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 62 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 08:13 AM

Press conference in Winnipeg at 12pm ET. It's official.

#132 NvrFrgtRussian5

NvrFrgtRussian5

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 08:20 AM

rumors are flying. NHL brass has been spotted on flights, 11am CST 12pm EST announcement will be officially made.

:clap:

#133 Hatethedrake!

Hatethedrake!

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 09:22 AM

rumors are flying. NHL brass has been spotted on flights, 11am CST 12pm EST announcement will be officially made.

:clap:

I think Bill Daly's head could be spotted from Pluto.
Jordan Tootoo will wreck shop.

We need someone like Parise that can penetrate the box.-blueadams

#134 acidroach420

acidroach420

You know I've got a soft spot for hot dogs

• Pip
  • 168 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 10:56 AM

espn article

But the NHL will not realign its divisions for the 2011-12 season, meaning Winnipeg will play in the Southeast Division, a league source confirmed to LeBrun.

#135 chrisdetroit

chrisdetroit

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,407 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 11:17 AM

Via Twitter May 16th

TSNBobMcKenzie Bob McKenzie
I'm of opinion that IF realignment is required, DET won't move to East, at least not in short term, maybe ever. West teams like DET in West.

Just sayin'

I see it coming. They will take Nashville and move them into Atlanta's spot in the southeast then move Minny into the Central and Winnipeg into the Northwest. Geographically this makes the most sense. What I would like to see is:

Edmonton-Calgary-Colorado-Vancouver- Winnipeg
Minny-St. Louis-Columbus-Nashville-Chicago
Islanders-Rangers-Jersey-Boston-Philly
Detroit-Toronto-Ottawa-Montreal-Buffalo
Pittsburgh-Washington-Carolina-Tampa-Florida

This makes sense geographically (except maybe Pittsburgh) but requires to many teams to move.

espn article

It says that they won't realign THIS YEAR. And that is because the schedule is almost complete and they would rather have Winnipeg travel 1,000,000 miles next season than have a bunch of schedulers have to start over.
Do or do not. There is no try

#136 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,583 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 11:22 AM

True North just officially announced the purchase of the Atlanta Thrashers, pending approval from the Board of Governors next month.

#137 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,583 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 11:30 AM

Bettman: "This isn't going to work very well unless this place is sold out EVERY night."

#138 Cevari

Cevari

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 11:31 AM

R.I.P. Atlanta Thrashers.

Not surprised, a bit sad because Atlanta would've been a great market to get a hold on. Mainly happy for Winnipeg though, can't imagine how happy the fans there are. Especially considering they had a team and lost it before.

#139 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,498 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 11:36 AM

Has anything heard any discussions on the MTS centre? I have heard great things about it in terms of being busy, hosting concerts, etc. However, I thin it only seats just above 15,000 for hockey...that doesn't sound like enough to suppport an NHL team, wondering if there have been any comments on that.

#140 Electrophile

Electrophile

Ipsa scientia potestas est.

• Silver Booster
  • 9,390 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 11:37 AM

In the 7 years I lived in the Atlanta area, I only went to a handful of Thrashers games, and none of them were completely sold out. I feel bad for the fans who enjoyed going and developed a relationship with the team and its players, but this is another example of why there are just some places hockey will never, never work. The South on the whole, is more into NASCAR and collegiate sports. Transplanted Northerners (like my family) will get into it because they're coming from areas where hockey exists and is strong, but it's next to impossible to make it really, really work.

electrophilewingsfloyd.jpg

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff."  -- The Doctor