Bettman didn't look too thrilled.

Posted Image

#142 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,408 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 12:04 PM

Well, not many details released...looks like much depends on the Governors meeting on June 21st, although the NHL Draft is in 3 weeks...I'm not sure how a nameless/logoless team can draft players? Would they still be operating as the Atlanta Trashers or Winnipeg Thrashers or what?
IPB Image

#143 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,934 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 12:09 PM

I see it coming. They will take Nashville and move them into Atlanta's spot in the southeast then move Minny into the Central and Winnipeg into the Northwest. Geographically this makes the most sense. What I would like to see is:

That's exactly how I see it going down. Figure Gary will keep the 2 teams asking to move east the most (i.e. Detroit & Columbus) out west instead.

Money on the Board 2014: $5 per series, $5 per sweep, $5 per Kronwalling, $10 per Marchand Kronwalling, $1 per Zetterberg game, $1 per 2013 Calder Cup roster player goal

#144 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,408 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 12:11 PM

I would also add an editorial comment here: If Winnipeg can sell 13,000 season tickets (average price 3rd highest in the NHL) with a 3-5 yr commitment, make tidy profits and be successful under the post-lockout economics....we're going to see a march northward for teams like Phoenix and Florida.
IPB Image

#145 wings1110

wings1110

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 12:20 PM

Well, not many details released...looks like much depends on the Governors meeting on June 21st, although the NHL Draft is in 3 weeks...I'm not sure how a nameless/logoless team can draft players? Would they still be operating as the Atlanta Trashers or Winnipeg Thrashers or what?

Ive seen in multiple sources they will pick up their AHL teams name and logo, so i think that will be it.

#146 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,413 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 12:25 PM

Not sure there is an issue here, they'll turn their attention immediately to naming the team now that they have worked through the acquisition. The team will be named in relatively short order and the governors meeting to approve happens before the draft, so that's a non-issue.

Ive seen in multiple sources they will pick up their AHL teams name and logo, so i think that will be it.

I've "heard" that through various sources as well, but I honestly don't think they have spent time on determining a name and I doubt it will end up being the Manitoba Moose. I really think it will be the Winnipeg....something.

#147 HadThomasVokounOnFortSt

HadThomasVokounOnFortSt

Hi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,019 posts
  • Location:Cloudy Town, Minnesota. 762.20 miles from the Joe Louis Arena

Posted 31 May 2011 - 12:27 PM

Not sure if this is posted already but I thought this was kinda funny..

http://sports.yahoo....?urn=nhl-wp6063
hadthomasvokounonfortst.jpg
Follow me on Twitter: @W2G4U

#148 mjlegend

mjlegend

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 01:01 PM

Bettman said they wouldn't stand in the way of the team using "Jets". NHL owns the rights to the name at they will make it available to them. . .

Not that they'll have any issue selling tickets, but it would be pretty cool if their first UFA signing July 1 was Teemu Selanne for a one year deal.

#149 Wings_Dynasty

Wings_Dynasty

The Greatest Ever

• HoF Booster
  • 3,773 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 01:03 PM

1 failed experiment down, 2 to go.

I'm looking at you Nashville and Phoenix.

"I think a tough team, a team that sticks together, is a lot better than leaving the onus on one guy to take care of business." - Brendan Shanahan

It still would be nice to have that one guy. (Jordin Tootoo, wish granted)

#150 WorkingOvertime

WorkingOvertime

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,374 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 01:10 PM

Nashville?

I'm happy for the Winnipeg fans, and sad for the Atlanta fans (although Winnipeg has many more). Regardless of the situation, I can imagine how the Atlanta fans feel.

#151 P. Marlowe

P. Marlowe

4th Line Heel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,535 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 01:11 PM

At least they have good teams that compete for playoff spots.

"Finger-pointing is easy. In some cases, even therapeutic. Fans need to blame something,

because the outcome is so frustratingly out of their control."
-- Mitch Albom

| Terry Sawchuk & Johnny Bower | | Extra Protection | | "Luckies never cut my wind." | | Straight to the Goal | | Dodging Traffic |
| Tom Waits - Get Behind the Mule | | Mikael Samuelsson Forever | | Mike Grier? |

#152 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,934 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 01:15 PM

I would throw Miami on there before Nashville actually.

Money on the Board 2014: $5 per series, $5 per sweep, $5 per Kronwalling, $10 per Marchand Kronwalling, $1 per Zetterberg game, $1 per 2013 Calder Cup roster player goal

#153 grwingfan

grwingfan

Rookie

• Pip
  • 190 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 01:16 PM

Nashville?

If you said Phoenix and Miami I would be with you but Nashville?!?!?!

#154 Majsheppard

Majsheppard

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 01:16 PM

Seriously though folks, we need to start working as hard as the Jets fans did to get their team back in order to get us to go East!

Join the movement to get Detroit in the Eastern Conference and look at what our community can do to influence the league!
"It is a lot easier to be an ******* to words than to people"-xkcd

Tootoo does NOT belong on this team. He is classless and I would rather see the Wings be bad than classless. I feel the same way about Bertuzzi as well, but he at least CAN make the team better. With Tootoo the team becomes worse and in danger of being classless. Would you have liked Claude on the team? Or Roy? No. So why would you be okay with that POS.

This thread has been closed due to emotions being higher than people's ability to read, interpret, and properly respond to simple posts.

#155 Electrophile

Electrophile

Ipsa scientia potestas est.

• Silver Booster
  • 9,390 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 01:17 PM

My best friend and her husband live right outside Nashville, and they go to tons of Predators games, and according to them the games are sold out, if not 95% sold out. So while hockey didn't work in Atlanta, that doesn't mean it can't work anywhere else in the South, just that the odds are stacked against them.

electrophilewingsfloyd.jpg

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff."  -- The Doctor

#156 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,934 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 01:22 PM

My best friend and her husband live right outside Nashville, and they go to tons of Predators games, and according to them the games are sold out, if not 95% sold out. So while hockey didn't work in Atlanta, that doesn't mean it can't work anywhere else in the South, just that the odds are stacked against them.

There was just never a chance that it was going to work in Atlanta, one of the worst sports towns in North America. No offense to any Atlanta fans out there, but when the Maddux/Glavine/Smoltz Braves teams couldn't even sell out a playoff series back in the day, it's a bad sports town.

#157 I Red Wings I

I Red Wings I

Holy mackerel!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 01:33 PM

Phoenix-Winnipeg games. Crazy

#158 Shoreline

Shoreline

Panzerfaust

• HoF Booster
  • 12,817 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 01:58 PM

Congrats Winnipeg!

#159 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,429 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 02:43 PM

A "Bettman Sighting" is the real story here; credit taken where credit is not due.

Toronto Star .

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#160 CaliWingsNut

CaliWingsNut

PeeWee Bettman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 02:47 PM

CNBC, the leader of sports news :hehe:, listed this as a done deal on TV earlier today. Just thought I'd add it to the pile.

Figures don't lie, but liars sure figure. - Mark Twain