• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
stevkrause

Nabokov to report to Isles camp

Rate this topic

He is reported to be planning on reporting to camp in the fall:

http://www.calgaryherald.com/sports/Nabokov+opts+join+Isles+after/4814507/story.html

I still think they will trade him and I think he's only playing nice to get into NHL shape and prove enough to get traded... if he's still an Islander come Jan 1st, I could see him retiring, or bolting back to Russia...

I can't really see the Isles really keeping either. WIth DiPietro and Montoya what's the point really? I know he's better than those two (most likely) but he doesnt want to be there. I would imagine that the Isles just want him to be in game shape, play a few games and get some value to him so they can deal him. I would think the only way he stays an Islander is if the probable happens and that is DIPietro gets hurt...again

I can't really see the Isles really keeping either. WIth DiPietro and Montoya what's the point really? I know he's better than those two (most likely) but he doesnt want to be there. I would imagine that the Isles just want him to be in game shape, play a few games and get some value to him so they can deal him. I would think the only way he stays an Islander is if the probable happens and that is DIPietro gets hurt...again

So you're saying there's a 90% chance then? haha :)

Seriously though, with the way Montoya played for them at the end of the year, they might be best served hitching their wagon to him anyway and giving him the starting position regardless of who else they have at camp... he's still young and wasn't a top pick for nothing, he just has to get his confidence back and he looked like he was starting to at the end of the season... if they're smart (which this is Snow we're talking about, so take that for what it's worth), they'll deal Nabby, and make DiPi the backup, he'd be better served playing less games at this point anyway and there's no way they're getting out of that contract...

any chances of him being dealt before camp? what are the chances on the wings picking him up after we let ozzie go?

I think there's always that chance of his rights being dealt before or at the draft, without ever having donned a NYI jersey, however, being a full year removed from NHL action and having a poor World's probably lowered his trade value, so they may want to keep him and see if they can't up his value... never know though...

I think there's always that chance of his rights being dealt before or at the draft, without ever having donned a NYI jersey, however, being a full year removed from NHL action and having a poor World's probably lowered his trade value, so they may want to keep him and see if they can't up his value... never know though...

I would think the Isles would more than likely want prospects for him.. Then it will boil down to what team is willing to give up the most in prospect worth. I don't see the Wings being at the top of that list as Holland won't give up future for a 35 year old backup goalie when he can just as easily sign a comparable backup goalie out of free agency.

The options would be:

1. Mike Smith

2. Johan Hedberg

3. Chris Osgood

4. Ty Conklin

5. Marty Turco

6. Josh Harding

7. Jose Theodore

8. Brian Boucher

9. Alex Auld

These are in no particular order...

So you see there are options out there outside of Nabokov. Given his salary and a one year contract, he would be very hard to obtain without giving up more than Kenny H would.

Guest CaliWingsNut

I would think the Isles would more than likely want prospects for him.. Then it will boil down to what team is willing to give up the most in prospect worth. I don't see the Wings being at the top of that list as Holland won't give up future for a 35 year old backup goalie when he can just as easily sign a comparable backup goalie out of free agency.

The options would be:

1. Mike Smith

2. Johan Hedberg

3. Chris Osgood

4. Ty Conklin

5. Marty Turco

6. Josh Harding

7. Jose Theodore

8. Brian Boucher

9. Alex Auld

So you see there are options out there outside of Nabokov. Given his salary and a one year contract, he would be very hard to obtain without giving up more than Kenny H would.

If they're in the no particular order why did you number them? :hehe:

The options would be:

1. Mike Smith

2. Johan Hedberg

3. Chris Osgood

4. Ty Conklin

5. Marty Turco

6. Josh Harding

7. Jose Theodore

8. Brian Boucher

9. Alex Auld

Agreed 100% - I think as soon as the Isles claimed him, his chances of ever being a Wing went down to <1%

In regards to your list, the only 3 on that list I see worth pursuing are Conklin, Auld or Theodore... I fully believe Smith will re-sign in TB, I think Hedberg will re-sign in NJ, Turco had a bad year and I think there's too much bad blood with the Wings (not from anything other than all the losses we've given him) for him to come here... even with him being a Mich grad and Boucher and Harding I don't care for, or think they're consistent enough to be a reliable backup here

I've always liked Josh Harding. He had an off year and then was out all of this passed season. He's only 26 and in 2008-09 in 19 appearances posted a 2.19 GAA and .929 SV%. Granted, that was in front of Minnesota's D but I think the guy could turn out all right. His last contract was a one year $1.2M deal and I woulg imagine Holland is looking for a goalie in the $6-800K range. But I could be wrong

I've always liked Josh Harding. He had an off year and then was out all of this passed season. He's only 26 and in 2008-09 in 19 appearances posted a 2.19 GAA and .929 SV%. Granted, that was in front of Minnesota's D but I think the guy could turn out all right. His last contract was a one year $1.2M deal and I woulg imagine Holland is looking for a goalie in the $6-800K range. But I could be wrong

He just ripped his knee apart.. could be risky.

The options would be:

1. Mike Smith

2. Johan Hedberg

3. Chris Osgood

4. Ty Conklin

5. Marty Turco

6. Josh Harding

7. Jose Theodore

8. Brian Boucher

9. Alex Auld

:puke:

If Ozzie and Nabokov are out of the picture, I might not mind Turco as a back-up, but there's that whole 1-232-0 record at JLA that is disconcerting.

Wow... I love some isles fans thinking they will get a Top 6 forward or a First round pick for Nabokov.

The guys trade value dropped a lot from him not wanting to play in Long Island and the World Championships. The only teams that are going to go after him are teams that are really contenders because a team would be afraid to trade for Nabokov just for him to say screw it and retire or ship it back to Russia. The guy hasn't had good numbers and the Islanders are trying to trade him Strictly for his name and contract and I would never give up top prospects, picks or players for a 35 year old goalie, who hasn't proved anything as of late and decided not to report for his last team.

Honestly what is he really worth Trade Value wise...? Thoughts?

Ok, so he reports to camp for the new season. Why didn't he report when he was acquired? Think about it. He was going to be paid the low salary for only about a 1/2 of a season. Now, he has to play a whole season for that paltry sum. He could have stepped in for the Islanders, had a few good games and proven himself, and then this coming season he could have gotten a $2 million dollar 1 year deal or something. I guess my point is, why change your mind and report now? I guess some mistakes you don't get done paying for. Maybe he realized his mistake but he realized it a month too late or something.

Guest CaliWingsNut

Ok, so he reports to camp for the new season. Why didn't he report when he was acquired? Think about it. He was going to be paid the low salary for only about a 1/2 of a season. Now, he has to play a whole season for that paltry sum. He could have stepped in for the Islanders, had a few good games and proven himself, and then this coming season he could have gotten a $2 million dollar 1 year deal or something. I guess my point is, why change your mind and report now? I guess some mistakes you don't get done paying for. Maybe he realized his mistake but he realized it a month too late or something.

I doubt someone leaving the KHL for the NHL is doing it for the money.

He wanted to play to win. He was signed in Detroit and picked up by the islanders who didn't have a chance.

any chances of him being dealt before camp? what are the chances on the wings picking him up after we let ozzie go?

The Wings won't be letting him go, he'll retire if that's what is best for the team and himself. And if they mutually agree that he's the best choice for next year then that's good too.

putting my Hudler hatred aside, I think it would be an even swap for Nabokov if the Wings gave up Hudler. I don't see Snow asking for too much more than a mid twenty's forward with the POTENTIAL of getting 70 points per season....

Guest Heaten

Nobokov's trade value is nothing more than a straight trade for Joey MacDonald.

Nabby has too many issues, including his contract's NMC along with his bad attitude. Not to mention he's been awful. Holland won't give up any assets for the bum.

Looks like there's a good chance he'll be pursued by Phi... that'd be a great pickup for them, especially for him being a mentor to Bobrovsky...

http://www.thefourth.../phi110523.html

Yeah, this is definitely the most sensible move to make. A place to mentor a young Russian goalie and step in to be a #1 right away, assuming he is up to par.