• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 martyrme19

martyrme19

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 06:19 PM

I draw hesitation from all of the hysteria people on here like to draw from our prospects.

Fact is guys, we think our prospects are uber sweet and every other team's are s***ty because of two reasons:
1) we hear of our guys all the time, and can watch them play
2) we never hear of other team's prospects, and never watch them play.

Remember how people freaked the s*** out because we lost Matthias, then Quincy, and then Ritola? People acted like we just gave away the next Eric Lindros, Bobby Orr and Peter Forsberg.

I don't know what the average age of these boards are, but it seems like most people here are so young they think every average prospect turns into Zetterberg and Datsyuk.
Just for the record, the weather today is slightly sarcastic with a good chance of rain.

#22 ShakeyWalton

ShakeyWalton

Jr. Prospect

• 18 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 06:48 PM

For the Blues to take that next step and start making the playoffs they need one of their young guys to step up and become the kind of leader who scores that last second game-winning or tying goal. The kind of leader who wins that playoff deciding gaming through strength of will. If we're comparing them to a young team lead by young players I'd say Toews is the comparable. When the Hawks were missing the playoffs this year he was the player who drove them back into it.

A bunch of young, talented guys isn't worth much if there isn't enough leadership in the room. Know what I mean? I'm not a big follower of the blues so I'll ask the OP: who's that guy in St. Louis?

I would have to say Stewart will be that guy and have an absolute monster season. Stew will be to my team what Shanny was in the early 90's for us. Backes is this type of player as well, he just hasn't been surrounded by much to work with. Backes would be a monster on Detroit. Berglund probably advances to another level this season; I'm thinking 75 points.

Just to make sure you guys don't think I'm blowing smoke and pumping up the Blues with blinders on, I am not sold on Halak as a starting goalie, I think Oshie is overrated, seriously believe Perron could be finished, and am not buying into the Tarasenko hype without seeing him play in North America.

To the poster that asked about Tarasenko, it's all but certain he's here for training camp in September.

#23 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,336 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 08:06 PM

I would have to say Stewart will be that guy and have an absolute monster season. Stew will be to my team what Shanny was in the early 90's for us. Backes is this type of player as well, he just hasn't been surrounded by much to work with. Backes would be a monster on Detroit. Berglund probably advances to another level this season; I'm thinking 75 points.

Just to make sure you guys don't think I'm blowing smoke and pumping up the Blues with blinders on, I am not sold on Halak as a starting goalie, I think Oshie is overrated, seriously believe Perron could be finished, and am not buying into the Tarasenko hype without seeing him play in North America.

To the poster that asked about Tarasenko, it's all but certain he's here for training camp in September.

I don't think you're blowing smoke because I can honestly say your team has at least 5 players I'd kill to get on the Wings:

--Stewart (will only get better and power forwards don't exactly grow on trees)
--Taransekco (I was hoping he'd somehow fall to the Wings last year... now I just wish he was with our org so he'd mesh with Dats)
--Berglund (he's great and he's so damn young!)
--Alex Pietrangelo (tons of talent and room to grow his game)
--Backes (stud! imagine what he could do on Datsyuk's wing!)
Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft

#24 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 08:14 PM

I draw hesitation from all of the hysteria people on here like to draw from our prospects.

Fact is guys, we think our prospects are uber sweet and every other team's are s***ty because of two reasons:
1) we hear of our guys all the time, and can watch them play
2) we never hear of other team's prospects, and never watch them play.

Remember how people freaked the s*** out because we lost Matthias, then Quincy, and then Ritola? People acted like we just gave away the next Eric Lindros, Bobby Orr and Peter Forsberg.

I don't know what the average age of these boards are, but it seems like most people here are so young they think every average prospect turns into Zetterberg and Datsyuk.

I was never one of those people. There are a select few on this board that closely follows ALL prospects around the league. And I watch the U16/17/18/20 champiuonships and catch a lot of CHL games and read A LOT of scouting reports on all players (usually only the top 50 and top 50 or so draft prospects). I'll never claim to be a great scout, but myself and a few around here do study prospects.

I'm nearly positive you know more about your prospects than all of us combined, but sometimes outsiders who do study a plethora of prospects can give an objective analysis. I don't believe you are blowing smoke up anyone's bums. The only thing I think that the Blues F'd up on was trading away Rundblad. I do love that they raped the Avs in that trade this season, though :).
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#25 ShakeyWalton

ShakeyWalton

Jr. Prospect

• 18 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 10:34 PM

I don't think you're blowing smoke because I can honestly say your team has at least 5 players I'd kill to get on the Wings:

--Stewart (will only get better and power forwards don't exactly grow on trees)
--Taransekco (I was hoping he'd somehow fall to the Wings last year... now I just wish he was with our org so he'd mesh with Dats)
--Berglund (he's great and he's so damn young!)
--Alex Pietrangelo (tons of talent and room to grow his game)
--Backes (stud! imagine what he could do on Datsyuk's wing!)

Steen is another guy that the Wings would probably love to have. He's not somebody that hockey fans would instantly think is a tough player, but he's nails, and the hardest worker you will ever see.

Shattenkirk is frequently compared to Rafalski and rightfully so. I can't believe we pulled off that trade with Colorado. I might have done Johnson for him straight-up, and most certainly would have traded EJ for Stewart alone.

Let me also say that I'm shocked Rafalski is calling it quits. I have to think Lidstrom goes another year, but if he doesn't, major changes on your blue-line. Wonder how Holland addresses this?

#26 ShakeyWalton

ShakeyWalton

Jr. Prospect

• 18 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 07:23 AM

Spoke too soon, Tarasenko is now staying over in Russia for another season. That's a major setback for us, but very typical.