• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 blueadams

blueadams

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 07:46 PM

I'm interested in hearing who some of your 'all-time' teams include.

Here's mine. Here's a disclaimer - I really don't think many of the old time stars would be superstars if they were inserted into the league today. And I really don't feel comfortable putting too many players I never even saw live on here anyways. Also...when I'm picking guys here...I'm thinking like, who had the best 5-6 year prime. Not who put up the most points over a career. Not who was the best over an entire career. Just the best hockey that I ever saw at a given time. And some of my personal favorites.

Howe-Gretzky-Bure
Ovechkin-Lemiux-Jagr
Shannahan-Yzerman-Fedorov
Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Crosby
Nash

...Never saw Mr. Hockey play, but he's gotta be on there. Third line is obviously a personal favorite. Some might think that Hank doesn't belong, but he completely shut down the best player in the game in the stanley cup finals, so he gets a spot on the shut-down line. Second line won't have to play defense. Bure would be a perfect partner for Gretzky.

Orr-Lidstrom
Coffey-Bourque
Pronger-Chelios
Harvey

...Never saw Harvey play, but you can't not include a guy that won seven norris trophies. Wanted to get Konstantinov in there, but I think that Cheli's pre-Detroit prime was a little more impressive. First two pairings are probably the best two puck movers and stay at home defensemen in the history of the game. And I know he's hated, but Chris Pronger most definitely brings special things to a team.

Hasek
Broduer
Roy

...I don't care what anyone says, no one was better than Dom in his buffalo prime. Roy was probably more talented than Broduer, but you want a reliable backup goalie that won't ruin the locker room.

Edited by blueadams, 23 May 2011 - 12:19 AM.

#2 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,709 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 07:59 PM

You contradicted yourself by saying that you never saw certain legends play, yet you had several on your list. So why would you include Harvey and Orr but not Hull or Richard?

Mine would look like this.

Lemieux - Gretzky - Howe
Hull - Esposito - Richard
Messier - Morenz - Lafleur
Trottier - Beliveau - Yzerman

Lidstrom - Orr
Harvey - Robinson
Potvin - Shore

Roy
Hasek

Edited by GMRwings1983, 22 May 2011 - 08:58 PM.

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#3 Paul MacLean's Mustache

Paul MacLean's Mustache

Rookie

• Pip
  • 105 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 08:17 PM

Lebda-Lebda-Lebda
Lebda-Lebda-Lebda
Lebda-Lebda-Lebda
Lebda-Lebda-Lebda

Lebda-Lebda
Lebda-Lebda
Lebda-Lebda

Lebda
Lebda

#4 hooon

hooon

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,215 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 08:35 PM

We should do a list of the all-time best blueadams line threads.
Posted Image

#5 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 08:37 PM

Seriously, what is it with the lines threads?

#6 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 08:37 PM

Seriously, what is it with the lines threads?

You're new-ish here, you'll learn.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#7 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 08:45 PM

I tried to keep it players who actually played those positions:

Hull - Gretzky - Howe
Lindsay - Lemieux - Richard
Mahovlich - Beliveau - Lafleur
Robitaille - Esposito - Bossy

Orr - Harvey
Shore - Lidstrom
Bourque - Potvin

Sawchuk
Plante

Edited by Konnan511, 22 May 2011 - 08:47 PM.

The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#8 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,709 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 08:56 PM

I tried to keep it players who actually played those positions:

Hull - Gretzky - Howe
Lindsay - Lemieux - Richard
Mahovlich - Beliveau - Lafleur
Robitaille - Esposito - Bossy

Orr - Harvey
Shore - Lidstrom
Bourque - Potvin

Sawchuk
Plante

Shows you how much better right-wingers are than left-wingers, in terms of all time players. The difference would be even more glaring if you made a top 20 from each of those two positions.

I didn't choose that route, because I'd feel silly putting Robitaille ahead of Messier, Yzerman or Morenz.

#9 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 08:59 PM

Shows you how much better right-wingers are than left-wingers, in terms of all time players. The difference would be even more glaring if you made a top 20 from each of those two positions.

I didn't choose that route, because I'd feel silly putting Robitaille ahead of Messier, Yzerman or Morenz.

Oh I completely agree. I even had to go and look at some of the right wingers because I could really only name Hull and Lindsay without delving into our playing era lol. The right wingers were simple and the centers weren't hard either. Same goes for the defense and goalies...for the most part.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank

#10 Mitchmac33

Mitchmac33

Come on son!

• PipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 09:40 PM

why no ken dryden? 6 cups in 8 seasons

#11 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 09:43 PM

He was a very good goalie, but Manny Legace would have won cups with those Montreal teams.

Edit: And I also have a few other goalies ranked ahead of him.

Edited by Konnan511, 22 May 2011 - 09:44 PM.

The Best Of BC
HankthaTank

#12 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,709 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 09:49 PM

I'd rank at least Roy, Hasek, Tretiak, Sawchuk and Plante ahead of him. Maybe a few others too.

#13 StayClassy

StayClassy

Babcock's Doormat

• Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 10:01 PM

Bure-Gretzky-Fedorov
Ovechkin-Lemieux-Neely
Shanahan-Yzerman-Howe
Messier-Datsyuk-Hull
Probert
Selanne/Jagr

Lidstrom-Pronger
Orr-Borque
Chelios-Leetch
Robinson
Niedermeyer

Hasek
Lundqvist
Brodeur

Obviously there's some bias there. Especially toward players of our generation, but it's all for fun anyway. Tried to add a mix of speed, skill, and grit. Of course Probert has to be there as the best enforcer of all time. Posted Image

Edited by StayClassy, 22 May 2011 - 10:09 PM.

"Let him live."

#14 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 10:11 PM

I'd rank at least Roy, Hasek, Tretiak, Sawchuk and Plante ahead of him. Maybe a few others too.

It's weird how much we agree on when it pertains to the past eras lol.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank

#15 hooon

hooon

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,215 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 10:11 PM

Hull-Gretky-Howe
Sakic-Yzerman-Lemieux
Kurri-Messier-Shanahan
Fedorov-Datsyuk-Ovechkin
Hudler (during that 10 game stretch Eva keeps talking about :rolleyes: )

Lidstrom-Orr
Leetch-Konstantinov
Borque-Chelios
McGinnis

Sawchuk (with a year or two of modern training to learn the butterfly)
Hasek

Bowman
Posted Image

#16 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 10:12 PM

Hull-Gretky-Howe
Sakic-Yzerman-Lemieux
Kurri-Messier-Shanahan
Fedorov-Datsyuk-Ovechkin
Hudler (during that 10 game stretch Eva keeps talking about :rolleyes: )

Lidstrom-Orr
Leetch-Konstantinov
Borque-Chelios
McGinnis

Sawchuk (with a year or two of modern training to learn the butterfly)
Hasek

Bowman

Don't be an ass, you know damn well it was 11 games!
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank

#17 blueadams

blueadams

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 10:53 PM

You contradicted yourself by saying that you never saw certain legends play, yet you had several on your list. So why would you include Harvey and Orr but not Hull or Richard?

contradicted? good one, professor. i said that i didn't want to put too many on, and i only put three. and why those three? ummm...let's see. bobby orr is almost universally agreed upon as the best defenseman to ever live. gordie howe is almost universally agreed upon as at least one of the best three forwards of all-time. doug harvey won seven norris trophies. and...drum roll...i couldn't think of anyone else i'd seen that i really really loved.

Edited by blueadams, 22 May 2011 - 10:55 PM.

#18 Hank Dats 'N Homer

Hank Dats 'N Homer

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 953 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 07:40 AM

Wow another blueadams line thread? Atleast its a little different....a little

#19 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 12:30 PM

Bure-Gretzky-Fedorov
Ovechkin-Lemieux-Neely
Shanahan-Yzerman-Howe
Messier-Datsyuk-Hull
Probert
Selanne/Jagr

Lidstrom-Pronger
Orr-Borque
Chelios-Leetch
Robinson
Niedermeyer

Hasek
Lundqvist
Brodeur

Obviously there's some bias there. Especially toward players of our generation, but it's all for fun anyway. Tried to add a mix of speed, skill, and grit. Of course Probert has to be there as the best enforcer of all time. Posted Image

The players I have listed in bold do not belong anywhere near an "all-time" team. Neely? Seriously? He scored well in his prime playing with Janney and then Oates, but without them he didn't score much at all. Cheechoo situation much?
"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."