• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest blueadams

Your all-time team?

Rate this topic

Guest blueadams

I'm interested in hearing who some of your 'all-time' teams include.

Here's mine. Here's a disclaimer - I really don't think many of the old time stars would be superstars if they were inserted into the league today. And I really don't feel comfortable putting too many players I never even saw live on here anyways. Also...when I'm picking guys here...I'm thinking like, who had the best 5-6 year prime. Not who put up the most points over a career. Not who was the best over an entire career. Just the best hockey that I ever saw at a given time. And some of my personal favorites.

Howe-Gretzky-Bure

Ovechkin-Lemiux-Jagr

Shannahan-Yzerman-Fedorov

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Crosby

Nash

...Never saw Mr. Hockey play, but he's gotta be on there. Third line is obviously a personal favorite. Some might think that Hank doesn't belong, but he completely shut down the best player in the game in the stanley cup finals, so he gets a spot on the shut-down line. Second line won't have to play defense. Bure would be a perfect partner for Gretzky.

Orr-Lidstrom

Coffey-Bourque

Pronger-Chelios

Harvey

...Never saw Harvey play, but you can't not include a guy that won seven norris trophies. Wanted to get Konstantinov in there, but I think that Cheli's pre-Detroit prime was a little more impressive. First two pairings are probably the best two puck movers and stay at home defensemen in the history of the game. And I know he's hated, but Chris Pronger most definitely brings special things to a team.

Hasek

Broduer

Roy

...I don't care what anyone says, no one was better than Dom in his buffalo prime. Roy was probably more talented than Broduer, but you want a reliable backup goalie that won't ruin the locker room.

Edited by blueadams

You contradicted yourself by saying that you never saw certain legends play, yet you had several on your list. So why would you include Harvey and Orr but not Hull or Richard?

Mine would look like this.

Lemieux - Gretzky - Howe

Hull - Esposito - Richard

Messier - Morenz - Lafleur

Trottier - Beliveau - Yzerman

Lidstrom - Orr

Harvey - Robinson

Potvin - Shore

Roy

Hasek

Edited by GMRwings1983

I tried to keep it players who actually played those positions:

Hull - Gretzky - Howe

Lindsay - Lemieux - Richard

Mahovlich - Beliveau - Lafleur

Robitaille - Esposito - Bossy

Orr - Harvey

Shore - Lidstrom

Bourque - Potvin

Sawchuk

Plante

Edited by Konnan511

I tried to keep it players who actually played those positions:

Hull - Gretzky - Howe

Lindsay - Lemieux - Richard

Mahovlich - Beliveau - Lafleur

Robitaille - Esposito - Bossy

Orr - Harvey

Shore - Lidstrom

Bourque - Potvin

Sawchuk

Plante

Shows you how much better right-wingers are than left-wingers, in terms of all time players. The difference would be even more glaring if you made a top 20 from each of those two positions.

I didn't choose that route, because I'd feel silly putting Robitaille ahead of Messier, Yzerman or Morenz.

Shows you how much better right-wingers are than left-wingers, in terms of all time players. The difference would be even more glaring if you made a top 20 from each of those two positions.

I didn't choose that route, because I'd feel silly putting Robitaille ahead of Messier, Yzerman or Morenz.

Oh I completely agree. I even had to go and look at some of the right wingers because I could really only name Hull and Lindsay without delving into our playing era lol. The right wingers were simple and the centers weren't hard either. Same goes for the defense and goalies...for the most part.

why no ken dryden? 6 cups in 8 seasons

He was a very good goalie, but Manny Legace would have won cups with those Montreal teams.

Edit: And I also have a few other goalies ranked ahead of him.

Edited by Konnan511

Bure-Gretzky-Fedorov

Ovechkin-Lemieux-Neely

Shanahan-Yzerman-Howe

Messier-Datsyuk-Hull

Probert

Selanne/Jagr

Lidstrom-Pronger

Orr-Borque

Chelios-Leetch

Robinson

Niedermeyer

Hasek

Lundqvist

Brodeur

Obviously there's some bias there. Especially toward players of our generation, but it's all for fun anyway. Tried to add a mix of speed, skill, and grit. Of course Probert has to be there as the best enforcer of all time. thumbup.gif

Edited by StayClassy

Hull-Gretky-Howe

Sakic-Yzerman-Lemieux

Kurri-Messier-Shanahan

Fedorov-Datsyuk-Ovechkin

Hudler (during that 10 game stretch Eva keeps talking about :rolleyes: )

Lidstrom-Orr

Leetch-Konstantinov

Borque-Chelios

McGinnis

Sawchuk (with a year or two of modern training to learn the butterfly)

Hasek

Bowman

Hull-Gretky-Howe

Sakic-Yzerman-Lemieux

Kurri-Messier-Shanahan

Fedorov-Datsyuk-Ovechkin

Hudler (during that 10 game stretch Eva keeps talking about :rolleyes: )

Lidstrom-Orr

Leetch-Konstantinov

Borque-Chelios

McGinnis

Sawchuk (with a year or two of modern training to learn the butterfly)

Hasek

Bowman

Don't be an ass, you know damn well it was 11 games!

Guest blueadams

You contradicted yourself by saying that you never saw certain legends play, yet you had several on your list. So why would you include Harvey and Orr but not Hull or Richard?

contradicted? good one, professor. i said that i didn't want to put too many on, and i only put three. and why those three? ummm...let's see. bobby orr is almost universally agreed upon as the best defenseman to ever live. gordie howe is almost universally agreed upon as at least one of the best three forwards of all-time. doug harvey won seven norris trophies. and...drum roll...i couldn't think of anyone else i'd seen that i really really loved.

Edited by blueadams

Bure-Gretzky-Fedorov

Ovechkin-Lemieux-Neely

Shanahan-Yzerman-Howe

Messier-Datsyuk-Hull

Probert

Selanne/Jagr

Lidstrom-Pronger

Orr-Borque

Chelios-Leetch

Robinson

Niedermeyer

Hasek

Lundqvist

Brodeur

Obviously there's some bias there. Especially toward players of our generation, but it's all for fun anyway. Tried to add a mix of speed, skill, and grit. Of course Probert has to be there as the best enforcer of all time. thumbup.gif

The players I have listed in bold do not belong anywhere near an "all-time" team. Neely? Seriously? He scored well in his prime playing with Janney and then Oates, but without them he didn't score much at all. Cheechoo situation much?