• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

MacK_Attack

Brian Rafalski announces retirement after 11 NHL seasons

Rate this topic

Raf just did one for the organization I bet. I can see it just being a tough decision to make on his part, obviously but this helps the cap space immensely and we can make a damn splash now. Just still kind of unreal to think this currently. Starts to hold more water though if you look back at his body of work of late and skating, etc.

Guest CaliWingsNut

i read his twitter feed. i want to know his sources.

He's pretty reliable bout thinks like this. It's not like Eklund said it.

Yeah, I know you weren't, and read mine above. Regardless, Nick can take an even higher discount now with Raf's contract not there to compare, yes? I know that isn't a feasible idea but sounds quite appealing doesn't it?

I hear ya. Maybe Nick would take less than $6 million now? Either way, if Nick does indeed come back, and Rafalski does indeed retire, this is a positive for the Red Wings.

Wow... really shocking so does this basically guarantee that we take hefty shots at Ehrhoff and or Bieksa..

or do we go after just one bring in another Salei type player to go alongside kindl and bring in a Richards type caliber player up front, could be big news for a guy like Smith too... potentially earning a spot on the top 4 come TC...

Woo Hoo! $6 million bucks to spend on a replacement. Or maybe with an extra couple million, 2 D-men of the #2-#4 variety. I kind of see our future defense as a solid group of #2 -#4 guys all capable of logging 20 minutes per night, and all somewhat equal pairings.

Or maybe this gives Kenny the ability to throw an offer sheet at Weber, and play Nashville's hand. I know it's a slim chance, but they have Suter and Rinne to sign next year. Might be a situation like San Jose did with Hjalmersson. They needed both a goalie, and a defensman, and made Chicago pick which one they wanted to keep.

Either way, if it's true, best wishes to you, Rafi. Thanks for helping us bring home another Cup. And thanks for giving LGW someone to throw under the bus.

big news for a guy like Smith too... potentially earning a spot on the top 4 come TC...

Ehh, let's not get crazy here man. All signs point to Smith not being quite ready for the NHL yet and a top 4? Maybe in 2-3 years or so. We have to make a move somewhere here.

We now have alot of cap space on ours hands.. trade Hudler for a bag of pucks, get a big bottle of whiskey and come on July 1st :thumbup:

Also, anyone think this increases Smiths chances of playing next season?

I doubt it, he will probably be called up a few times if needed, but I think they will want him getting 1st pair minutes in Grand Rapids

Wow. This is...unexpected. Must really be banged up to be retiring. This is shaping up to be an interesting offseason for us on the defensive front.

As it had to be. Defensively this was one of the worst seasons in memory and still finished 3rd in the conference. Oh, what might have been. Regardless, this is a sign of moving forward and getting some fresher faces. Sad but a necessary move to make things happen.