• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

MacK_Attack

Brian Rafalski announces retirement after 11 NHL seasons

Rate this topic

Please OH please DO NOT give in to Ericsson's demands! Just go and try to land Bieska or Wisniewski or Brewer....

But now is the time to convince me Ken, that you ARE the All Powerfull Wizard of GM's... If you really have magic, it is now time to weave it!

As of now, here is our confirmed D:

Stuart - Kronwall

Kindl - ???????

??????? - ???????

Yikes!

Edited by LeftWinger

Wow... I can't believe it. Before I opened the thread to read the posts I assumed it would be injury related considering he's not really "that old" to retire from the game. If infact true I'm totally curious what's going to happen this off season. We will need some defensive help bigtime. Any chance Brendan Smith ends up on the 3rd parking as a 5/6th d-man. Or maybe some occasional play as the 7th man.

You know Holland will look for a puck moving defenseman with solid defense so realistically Erhoff fits that bill over other guys mentionned above. Rafalski is really under-rated around here tho, just happy for the cap relief.

Too bad Weber/Suter arn't UFA's this year or else i'd be doing back flips right now.

I'm thinking Holland will have to go after a higher end player. Maybe someone like Andrei Markov or go crazy and try for Doughty.

by higher end player in Markov you mean, more expensive?

Markov hasn't played a full season in two years.

Why would we replacing a broken-down aging defenseman (no offense Raffi) with someone who's breaking down and is five years younger?

Guest CaliWingsNut

anybody know if we are stuck paying a penalty towards the cap since his contract was not finished?

no, he wasn't yet 35 when his latest contract was made.

Wow, tricky is right! Not only do we need to get better than Salei and Ericsson, so we need to find a top 4 d-man? Well, at least it opens up $6M more! OF course now Lidstrom can sign a contract for about $5M, since he will STILL be the highest paid d-man on the Wings! :ninja:

Lidstrom - Stuart

Kronwall - ??????

Kindl - ?????????

??????

Yikes!

Lots of $ to spend. Fear not, we will make it work. Take your boy Hudler's 2.875 off the books and we are sitting beautifully.

by higher end player in Markov you mean, more expensive?

Markov hasn't played a full season in two years.

Why would we replacing a broken-down aging defenseman (no offense Raffi) with someone who's breaking down and is five years younger?

I don't really know if he's breaking down. He's had 2 unlucky injuries that were severe, but I'm not sure what the long term impact of those injuries will be. I was under the impression that he would be 100% for the upcoming season, but what have you heard about lasting effects of the injuries?

Wow.

Didn't see this coming.

It must be that spaghetti knee of his, I'd guess.

He was pretty disappointing recently, but I'm still shocked he's actually retiring and not trying to battle out another year.

There will be a big signing or two now, with this news, I'm sure.

his knee is completly shot. its bone on bone. so its not that big of a shock...BOGOSIAN HERE WE COME!

Right, his mobility was awful toward the end there. Bogosian would be alright but I still would love to see if we can make a try at a franchise dman. This will no doubt insight 80 lines threads in the next month :lol: Shall be interesting.

It would leave us with a lot of cap space. Shouldn't be any financial issues preventing us from giving Lids what he's asking for. I'd like to have Rafa back, but not at the salary he's due.

I don't really know if he's breaking down. He's had 2 unlucky injuries that were severe, but I'm not sure what the long term impact of those injuries will be. I was under the impression that he would be 100% for the upcoming season, but what have you heard about lasting effects of the injuries?

His knee. Rafalski's knee. It's too eerily similar for me to even bite on as a thought.

Of course, I'm not an NHL GM.

So, who knows...

Unlucky, sure... but he's still had the issues. If I had to take one of Ehrhoff or Markov I'd go with Ehrhoff.

It would leave us with a lot of cap space. Shouldn't be any financial issues preventing us from giving Lids what he's asking for. I'd like to have Rafa back, but not at the salary he's due.

It would leave us with a little more cap space, however it won't be the full 6 million as some have stated. I believe that, according to the CBA, the entire remaining amount left on his contract is spread out over either 2 or 3 years. Thus, if it is over 3 years, the Wings will be hit with a 2 million cap hit for Rafalski this season (instead of the entire 6) which would leave them with an extra 4 million

Now this is exciting, at least now we know something is gonna happen, either a trade or a signing of someone significant. I cannot stop looking up salaries and stats and hits and teams!!!!

The thing is, now Holland just doesn't have to shore up the defensive end of the line, but now he is going to have to find away to replace Rafalski's points and powerplay minutes... Ehrhoff makes sense, what about Kaberle? Wisniewski scored 51 points, now offering him $4M doesn't seem out of the realm. Holland is gonna have to scoop someone up in the first week, if not the first day of UFA, just to make sure he fills Rafi's spot as best as he can...

Edited by LeftWinger

Unlucky, sure... but he's still had the issues. If I had to take one of Ehrhoff or Markov I'd go with Ehrhoff.

...and what's great is that we can afford Ehrhoff AND MORE!! MORE!! MOREEEEE!!!!!!!!!

Now this is exciting, at least now we know something is gonna happen, either a trade or a signing of someone significant. I cannot stop looking up salaries and stats and hits and teams!!!!

You and me both, man.

Edited by e_prime

I think we really should offer Weber a top dollar contract for one year now. There really isn't anything to lose because if we don't get a solid replacement for Ralf and possibly Lidstrom we will take a bigger fall. I would have to say this might be the straw that leads to our rebuilding phase.

I think we should also definitely make a play for Bieska and look at that Bogo deal again.

It seems we will definitely have a shake up, whether or not Holland wants it.

Of course it is also possible we just roll with E, Kindl, and Smith. Though I wouldn't like our chances at a cup...