• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

MacK_Attack

Brian Rafalski announces retirement after 11 NHL seasons

Rate this topic

Rafalski is a proven winner and I hate to see injuries end careers. A guy like Wisniewski, who has bounced around with four teams in the last three years before getting a lot of points in a contract year, is not a good enough replacement.

He's played in 18 playoff games and scored five points. Are we sure he's going to be able to make that crucial outlet pass in a big playoff game? Because for the kind of money that will get thrown his way by other teams that the Wings would in theory have to outbid, he damn well better.

As someone said above, there is now no reason not to throw a giant bag of money at Shea Weber, term and everything. I'm certain he's going to be a multiple Norris winner in the coming years. I don't think $40 million/8 years is too much. If we lose a couple of Riley Sheahan, Landon Ferraro-types as compensation, so what? This is one of the best two-way defencemen in the world who would be age 26 at his first Wings' training camp.

There has already been a thread started here. He must retire, otherwise LGW will lose it's credibility.

True. Might as well rename it 'Let's go Eklund'.

If true Godspeed Brian Rafalski, thank you for your time in Detroit, your effort, and your play to help win the 2008 Stanley Cup.

Feel free to hang around Joe Louis Arena and give the glad hand to fans

Guest stinky fish taco

I want Weber... A beast that can play. Think he'd take Rafalski's 6mil contract for 3-5 yrs?

so your plan is to sign shea weber to a 6 mil offer sheet and hope nashville doesn't match it?

...let me know how that works out.

Well I'm gonna go ahead and throw out who I want now.

Wiznewski, Bieksa, or Pitkanen preferably. I'm not all that sold on Ehrhoff.

Wiz or Beeker can clear the crease, hit and fight a little as well as put up points. Could be that guy the wings havent been able to find for a very long time

so your plan is to sign shea weber to a 6 mil offer sheet and hope nashville doesn't match it?

...let me know how that works out.

Yeah, it's going to take a little more than that... someone else mentioned Raffi's number for 3-5 years... and I think it's going to take even more than that.

Guest stinky fish taco

anything under 7.5 and the preds match easily. over 7.5 gives 4 1st rounders, and maybe they think about it.

chances that weber actually ends up a wing next season? 0.0001%.

It would leave us with a little more cap space, however it won't be the full 6 million as some have stated. I believe that, according to the CBA, the entire remaining amount left on his contract is spread out over either 2 or 3 years. Thus, if it is over 3 years, the Wings will be hit with a 2 million cap hit for Rafalski this season (instead of the entire 6) which would leave them with an extra 4 million

I do not believe that is the case. If it was a buyout some of his salary would be stuck with us but since he would be retiring and his contract was signed before he was 35 I believe his salary would be off the books.

Lets be honest here. Rafalski is a elite defenseman in the NHL. If he does decide to retire, that puts the Wings with a BIG hole. It may also influence Lidstrom's decision as well because they will be losing a piece on defense. These things being said, it could have an upside, but I really don't see anyone on the free agent market that is as good or better.

The crop of free agents hitting the market now are not as good as Rafalski. I know that Weber has been mentioned, but Nashville isn't going to let him go. The Wings are not going to sign him because of the loss of all the draft picks he will cost. Brendan Smith isn't ready for the NHL yet. I have seen him in Grand Rapids, and while he is a great defenseman, he needs some help on the defensive part of his game. I think he needs at least another full year in the AHL.

If he does decide to retire, he is going to be missed by the Wings. I know I will never forget meeting him the year he signed with the Wings. I shook his hand at a meet and greet at Van Andel that season ticket holders got to attend. The Wings swung by and did a practice at Van Andel that day and really put on a good show for the fans. What a nice guy.

At the same time though, he has accomplished a lot in his career. Three Stanley Cups and two Olympic silver medals are more than many will have ever accomplished.

If true, this really came out of the blue.

Puts us in a scary spot for defense next year, fan of Rafalski or not.

I dig Raf, but if his knee is shot and his back is halfway there, it might be time to call it a career.

I hope Holland can do something big with the money.

If Lidstrom retires I would like to see the Wings sign one of Wiz or Bieksa and Markov. If Lids stays then one of Wiz or Bieksa is a real possibility. I'd still let Ericsson and Salei walk as Kindl and Smith are both better than those 2 at this point. Sign Shane O'Brien as the 5th d man and D is looking amazing especially if Lidstrom stays.

With Lidstrom:

Lidstrom/Wiz or Bieksa

Kronwall/Stuart

O'Brien/Smith

Kindl

Without Lidstrom:

Markov/Stuart

Kronwall/Wiz or Bieksa

O'Brien/Smith

Kindl

I think I would actually prefer Wiz over Bieksa but thats just me, also I think Wiz would love the chance to play for the Wings since he is a Michigan native.

as much as i hope it wont wont happen i can see kenny going after kaberle.. i would love for both brewer and bieksa to be wearing red next year...but with the post seasons both are having i cant see either team letting them go

And we're not getting Weber or Doughty! They're both RFAs, and franchise players for their teams.

Weber is obtainable if the Preds don't sign him before July 1st. As an RFA they can match anything, but at a certain point they might rather take the picks. I believe he can be an extremely expensive addition that you might not have been willing to take unless your defense sustains a critical loss, and it is possible that Lids running out of time and Brian retiring could be just that.

I still think the only way to get him is to offer him a good one year contract. The Preds might just realize that they will get nothing better from trading him after matching, and with UFA a year away and Weber taking a one year deal they might know they won't keep him.

You are right he is a franchise player, but remember he might not want to stay. The only way to tell is if you let him become a UFA and any team with some balls can offer him a one year contract that will make that certain.

Doughty, however, is too young for that to be an option.

I think it is far more likely we will go to FA for one addition, and this ensures we keep Ericcson and most likely will overpay him now...

The names thrown around aren't that great to be honest, and no one really fills what we would lose with Brian.

I really don't like this.

he def isnt worth 6 mil!!

maybe not his D, but his exp, PP ability and puck movement to our forwards and quick first pass...

48 pts in 62 games, not bad! We have a hole in the defense now. I know Holland did not see this coming.

go to work Kenny!

Thank You Brian......Thank You very much for your service and professionalism.

Wow totally didn't see this coming. What a great career Rafalski had, it's a shame injuries did him in. Definitely explains his decline, but he was still a great offensive defenseman without one of his knees.

This offseason is going to be a big one, it will be a major factor in the future of this team. I'm glad we have an owner that will spend :thumbup:

With Raffi gone I think Lids will be back. I also hope that Ericsson does not get signed. I wouldnt mind if Salei returned. I was not happy our defense this season, this is an opportunity for Kenny to help out the team.