• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

MacK_Attack

Brian Rafalski announces retirement after 11 NHL seasons

Rate this topic

Ehrhoff is the safer choice, but Markov is the better player (when healthy). If I had to choose, I'd take both.

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS

Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Tomas Holmstrom ($1.875m)

Johan Franzen ($3.954m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Daniel Cleary ($2.800m)

Jiri Hudler ($2.875m) / Darren Helm ($0.912m) / Todd Bertuzzi ($1.937m)

Drew Miller ($0.750m) / Justin Abdelkader ($0.787m) / Patrick Eaves ($0.950m)

/ / Jan Mursak ($0.550m)

DEFENSEMEN

Nicklas Lidstrom ($6.200m) / Brad Stuart ($3.750m)

Niklas Kronwall ($3.000m) / Andrei Markov ($5.750m)

Jakub Kindl ($0.883m) / Christian Ehrhoff ($4.500m)

Brendan Smith ($0.875m)

GOALTENDERS

Jimmy Howard ($2.250m) / Chris Osgood ($0.800m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $62,400,000; CAP PAYROLL: $60,683,711; BONUSES: $0

CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $1,216,289

I would prefer Wisniewski over Markov, he wouldn't cost as much and besides, who is gonna score goals next year? Besides the urgency on D all of a sudden, they still need a pure scorer...

Forget Weber and Doughty. It ain't happenin'.

However, this certainly does make 2 of Kaberle/Bieksa/Babchuk/Wisniewski/Brewer/Ehrhoff a possibility, with space to sign a 3rd, gritty bottom pair guy as well.

People seem to forget a broken down, one legged Rafalski put up 90 points the past two seasons and had a .75 PPG pace this season. he was the catalyst for our ES. This team needs a smooth puck moving defenseman, a guy that isn't one of the dozen that LGW are throwing around, save for Wiz. Weber, Suter, Doughty, Bieksa, Bogo aren't coming here and nor will they even be given offers because they are going to be the first waved signed. I'll make anyone that bet right now.

I think Bieksa and Wiz are realistic possibilities but your right about the others.

I think a lot of people are overlooking this fact.

Do those teams have the cap space we now have? ...and how many of those teams have multiple players to re-sign whose agents will think their players deserve raises because of how far their respective teams went in the playoffs.

It goes both ways.

People seem to forget a broken down, one legged Rafalski put up 90 points the past two seasons and had a .75 PPG pace this season. he was the catalyst for our ES. This team needs a smooth puck moving defenseman, a guy that isn't one of the dozen that LGW are throwing around, save for Wiz. Weber, Suter, Doughty, Bieksa, Bogo aren't coming here and nor will they even be given offers because they are going to be the first waved signed. I'll make anyone that bet right now.

If Kenny isn't moving in that first wave this year, we're in deep s***... and yes, I do understand that some of these teams can sign their players before they even hit free agency.

Edited by e_prime

Well, this certainly throws a monkey wrench into things doesn't it?

To those of you who are all fired up about Brendan Smith, he's not ready yet. He needs some more seasoning. Another year or two in GR will do him a lot of good.

Who do we sign? Depends on who wants it bad enough to sign for the right price. I'm not sure I really want another Markov, and Kaberle is not the answer either. Truth be known, I'd rather have Andreas Lilja back than Kaberle.

But that's just me. If this is true, then thank you, Brian, for everything. A class act indeed.

Weber is obtainable if the Preds don't sign him before July 1st. As an RFA they can match anything, but at a certain point they might rather take the picks. I believe he can be an extremely expensive addition that you might not have been willing to take unless your defense sustains a critical loss, and it is possible that Lids running out of time and Brian retiring could be just that.

I still think the only way to get him is to offer him a good one year contract. The Preds might just realize that they will get nothing better from trading him after matching, and with UFA a year away and Weber taking a one year deal they might know they won't keep him.

You are right he is a franchise player, but remember he might not want to stay. The only way to tell is if you let him become a UFA and any team with some balls can offer him a one year contract that will make that certain.

Doughty, however, is too young for that to be an option.

I think it is far more likely we will go to FA for one addition, and this ensures we keep Ericcson and most likely will overpay him now...

The names thrown around aren't that great to be honest, and no one really fills what we would lose with Brian.

I really don't like this.

BOoooooOOOooOOO!!!! Hissss!

holy s***. that one is going to hurt us especially if lids retires too there goes 90% of the offense from the defense. im going to miss raffy a lot. no matter what you haters say he was one of the top defense men in the league.

I would prefer Wisniewski over Markov, he wouldn't cost as much and besides, who is gonna score goals next year? Besides the urgency on D all of a sudden, they still need a pure scorer...

I wouldn't mind Wisniewski, but I disagree with needing a goal scorer. The Wings were 2nd in the league in goals for with 3.13 g/gm and increased their production to 3.27 in the playoffs. Scoring was not a problem and the only changes to the forwards would be Mursak in, Modano and Draper out. The problem was defense, and now with Rafalski gone defense should be the priority. If there is cap space left after defense is taken care of then I'd be fine with signing a scorer or trading Hudler to get one.

BOoooooOOOooOOO!!!! Hissss!

Don't shoot the messenger.

Holland has stated he wants to keep E. There are also reports that he turned down two million per year from us...

If Holland is worried about team continuity, which he shouldn't, he might overpay Ericsson.

Now maybe that Bogo trade that was rumored to be on the table could resurface and take care of that for us. Though I doubt Atlanta would want the rights to a UFA for a week in exchange for the rights to an RFA. Even if we through in Hudler and a pick.

What really hurts about this is that its totally unexpected. I was thinking next year could possibly be his last and their was all this focus on Lidstrom retiring and now Raffy is gone. Kind of sucks. I mean, it should make our off season more interesting now that we have another $6 mil to work with, but honestly I was really looking forward to another Lidstrom-Rafalski pairing, but as the second defensive unit.

Congrats to Raffy, a great player for the Wings, for US hockey and a class act. His go ahead goal in Game 5 of the 2008 Finals will always stick out in my mind as one of the most memorable Wings goals of all time. Enjoy your retirement buddy, you will be missed!

Forget Hossa that will never happen.

Forget Hasek that will never happen.

etc. There is always a chance, always.

I like the way you think.

However, I don't like the odds. However it shouldn't upset people so much to WANT this to happen and hope for it.

I stand by the fact that a one year deal could force the Preds to allow it to happen, better still would be it forcing him to become a UFA a year from now where he could go anywhere but Nashville.

I HATE NASHVILLE!

I wouldn't be surprised if they employed Logan Pyett as their 7th defenseman. I can already see the "We hope he can provide a similar role that Derek Meech did for a couple years."

I wouldn't mind that either. Logan Pyett has that quality about him to fill that role. I don't ever think he will contribute much but there are worse options for spare parts. Too soon though for that IMO. Janik would be a better option for a 7th.

That being said, let us not worry about our 7th guy when we now have to worry about our number 2 and possibly number 1 dman...

Forget Hossa that will never happen.

Forget Hasek that will never happen.

etc. There is always a chance, always.

It is highly unlikely that Doughty and Weber are moved. However, one name that isnt mentioned on this site and has been involved in trade rumors is Brent Burns. IMO, he'd be a great fit. Right Handed Shot. Big and Mean, etc.

Edited by wingsownnhl43

It is highly unlikely that Doughty and Weber are moved. However, one name that isnt mentioned on this site and has been involved in trade rumors is Brett Burns. IMO, he'd be a great fit. Right Handed Shot. Big and Mean, etc.

Why would Minny wanna move Burns?? But I agree, he'd be a wonderful pick up.

I have never been overly impressed with Burns.

The only reason I think anyone can poach Weber is because he is almost a UFA and Nashville sucks as a place to play.

I would debate it sucks to live there too, but that is completely a perspective thing. I know that if I was drafted there I would count the days until I could leave.

Don't shoot the messenger.

Holland has stated he wants to keep E. There are also reports that he turned down two million per year from us...

If Holland is worried about team continuity, which he shouldn't, he might overpay Ericsson.

Now maybe that Bogo trade that was rumored to be on the table could resurface and take care of that for us. Though I doubt Atlanta would want the rights to a UFA for a week in exchange for the rights to an RFA. Even if we through in Hudler and a pick.

Pretty sure that those reports have been refuted, by Ericsson himself.

I think he will try to keep Ericsson. I just hope it's at the right price. I think hope he can grow into the #4 role. He's still not a $2 million/year player though... I hope he realizes that. If not, we can replace him.

It is highly unlikely that Doughty and Weber are moved. However, one name that isnt mentioned on this site and has been involved in trade rumors is Brett Burns. IMO, he'd be a great fit. Right Handed Shot. Big and Mean, etc.

Yeah, I'd love Brent Burns. I think he's a UFA after next season right?

Why would Minny wanna move Burns?? But I agree, he'd be a wonderful pick up.

Type in Brent Burns trade rumors on google. There are rumors swirling that they might not want to pay him when he hits the open market. He is an unrestricted free agent next off-season. To me, he seems much more likely than Doughty and Weber. Weber is restricted, Nashville would match any offer, and we play in their division. Doughty is also restricted, and LA would match any offer.