• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

MacK_Attack

Brian Rafalski announces retirement after 11 NHL seasons

Rate this topic

If they are young or haven't hit their primes yet, they aren't coming here. The Hossa signing corrupted the way LGW thinks. I understand being hopeful, but you also have to be realistic. Bieksa would be a good fit here, but he is going to be overpaid by whoever signs him, and that somebody won't be the Wings overpaying unless it's a one year deal, which i highly doubt Bieksa would take since he has one, maybe two more big contracts left in him.

Holland will wait for the second wave like he always does, save for the Hossa signing (he wasn't in his prime anymore) and Rafalski signing (he was past his prime as well).

Pretty sure that those reports have been refuted, by Ericsson himself.

I think he will try to keep Ericsson. I just hope it's at the right price. I think hope he can grow into the #4 role. He's still not a $2 million/year player though... I hope he realizes that. If not, we can replace him.

I hope those rumors are untrue, I haven't read much supporting them.

I will say that I don't think he will ever be more than a number five because he has everything to be a top four guy but always seems to shrink in the role. He could be a great number five though, if he develops. I just assume he will always want more than what he will get here, and it will be up to his personality if he takes his role here.

I am just worried that he might end up being our solution to this new Raf problem... and if that is the case then Lidstrom should just retire now rather than play next to Ericsson all year long.

I have to say more than anything, Raf retiring makes the early exit all the more painful in every sense.

We have to wait longer to find out what will become of our team AND a class act misses a good shot at leaving on top.

So sad.

Edited by Majsheppard

Am I reading this correctly? I thought it said that Ericsson to announce retirement but instead it was Raffy???

What a loss and so very unexpected.

We need to buy some superstars and get rid of the ankle bitters that dont produce. Hello we can buy in 2-3 B-level dmen or 1-2 A-level guys.

Why do the blessings always come with bad news attached?

I hope those rumors are untrue, I haven't read much supporting them.

I will say that I don't think he will ever be more than a number five because he has everything to be a top four guy but always seems to shrink in the role. He could be a great number five though, if he develops. I just assume he will always want more than what he will get here, and it will be up to his personality if he takes his role here.

I am just worried that he might end up being our solution to this new Raf problem... and if that is the case then Lidstrom should just retire now rather than play next to Ericsson all year long.

I have to say more than anything, Raf retiring makes the early exit all the more painful in every sense.

We have to wait longer to find out what will become of our team AND a class act misses a good shot at leaving on top.

So sad.

You sir, sound like you need a stiff drink.

:beerbuddy:

Cheers.

Things will sort themselves out. We're talking about the Red Wings. amirite?! :colorbounce:

You sir, sound like you need a stiff drink.

:beerbuddy:

Cheers.

Things will sort themselves out. We're talking about the Red Wings. amirite?! :colorbounce:

Thanks.

I will say that this is why I hope for the unsuspected and unbelievable move. I pray for a Weber deal just to prove that we still have a mystic element. It feels like the Red Wings can fix themselves, but it doesn't mean I am not going to hold my breath every time we get into trouble.

I will always worry that times will be bad in the future. In my life I just worry that life will be worse. Because we know we had the good things but they never seem to last. Oh please just last.

Posted Today, 05:24 PM

Honestly guys, I don't think this is the off season to reinvest the cap space. I see Holland signing a couple D-men to 1, maybe 2 year deals just to tie us over.

There is just simply no one out there that you want to latch yourself onto right now. If we throw big money at the FA pool this year, we are only hurting ourself next year when real decisions need to be made.

I don't think its practical next year to plan for a stanley cup - it may just be a season to coast.

martyrme19, I agree. This makes next season a rebuilding year, whether Lids comes back or not. I'd rather Kenny be Kenny and show some patience. 1:Re-sign Salei for a year at a reasonable price. 2:If he makes Big Rig a offer make it slightly LOWER than reasonable. This makes it easier for Hudler to become trade bait. Maybe bring up 2 D'men from GR, see what they do as this would be an opportune time. Spend SOME of the cash on ONE FA with a eye on the next year OR it would give Kenny the opportunity to do what he did at the trade deadline next season, similar to when he picked up Stuart.

Holy s***

Holy s***!

Holy s***!!!

Holland suddenly has a ton of money to work with and a top 3 defense spot wide open. This basically ties Lidstrom's hands in my opinion. He knows the team will be in a really bad spot if he leaves this season. This summer just got very, very interesting.

I guess Rafi's knee is really messed up now.

Anyone who thinks this isn't a blow to the Wings going forward is nuts (unless Holland finds a suitable replacement via trade or FA). Rafalski's offensive contribution should not be underestimated.

Oh, and Kindl/Smith must both be laughing and rubbing their hands together right now.

Actually the problem could also be his back... it's really been messed up since at least the 09 Finals.

THEY BETTER NOT SIGN ERICSSON!!! If they sign him let alone over pay him I am going to be one pissed off person!!! SAY NO HOLLAND SAYYYYY NOOOO!!!!

SIde note: Totally shocked to see Rafalski hang em' up, best of luck to him though. He will sure be missed!

Guest stinky fish taco

Forget Hossa that will never happen.

Forget Hasek that will never happen.

etc. There is always a chance, always.

comparing a UFA looking to win a cup and a player that threatened retirement to force a trade to 2 young superstar RFAs?

...just saying.

Guest Crymson

We now have alot of cap space on ours hands.. trade Hudler for a bag of pucks, get a big bottle of whiskey and come on July 1st :thumbup:

Also, anyone think this increases Smiths chances of playing next season?

Yes, lots... and virtually no good free agents to look at. This is a horrible year for it.

I'll say this much-- don't expect Weber to sign a 1 year contract with Nashville just to wait out his RFA period. Spector's said this is unlikely and I doubt Nashville is willing to risk losing him for nothing (if he refuses to sign a deal longer than 1 year it's almost assured that he'll leave when he's a UFA).

This would be a great time for the Wings to try and put a package together for Weber. Something involving at least 1 blue-chip prospect, at least 1 non-garbage roster player and at least 2 draft picks would be a starting point. The type of deal would depend on what kind of contract Weber would be willing to sign with the Wings.

If Rafalski retires you can expect the Weber to the Wings rumours to really heat up.

Yes, lots... and virtually no good free agents to look at. This is a horrible year for it.

Agreed. A replacement would definitely come via trade.

Guest Crymson

Forget Hossa that will never happen.

Forget Hasek that will never happen.

etc. There is always a chance, always.

Neither Hossa nor Hasek were RFAs. If by some unbelievable miracle L.A. or Nashville don't match a Detroit offer, they'll still be chowing down on our draft picks for the next four years.

if not this season, then in the next expect to see one of weber, doughty, burns in a detroit uniform. its gotta happen to keep this team afloat.

P.S. We need a right handed defensman badly now. Wis is the only viable option imo. but i would only do a 1 yr contract. ill name my first kid kenny if he brings weber in somehow. i really don't mind giving up 4 firsts for him. He is young and talented. Better than anything we would draft with those late first round picks in 4 years. Not to mention we could trade hudler for picks as well.

Guest Crymson

if not this season, then in the next expect to see one of weber, doughty, burns in a detroit uniform. its gotta happen to keep this team afloat.

Sigh... you're at it again.

Wow. All the best to Rafi.

I wanted Wis before, now he makes so much more sense. RH shot, scoring numbers not far off from Rafi (and more physical/better defense), and a local boy to boot.

We could also potentially afford Wis and Ehrhoff or Pitkanen, either would be awesome even though both are lefties. I'd still love a 2nd RH for the 2nd PP unit. Babchuk if he comes at a decent price, or Markov. Bieksa/Brewer is not what we need to replace Rafi.

I'd love Burns, but I doubt we have the assets to trade for him. Next summer though...

Christian Ehrhoff ! thats all

Lidstrom-Kronwall

Stuart-Ehrhoff

Ericcson-Kindl

without Lids

Kronwall-Doughty

Stuart-Ehrhoff

Ericcson-Kindl

YES PLEASE!! fingers crossed Doughty doesn't get a deal done in LA

Edited by king_malice