Rate this topic

Offense:

- Tim Connolly (30)

- Michael Ryder (31)

- Joel Ward (30)

Defense:

- Kevin Bieksa (29)

- Anton Babchuk

Of that list, these are the only ones that really jump out at me. I cannot see us making a move for a forward but with the amount of space we are going to have, the possibilities are much higher as to what we can really do. I still think a Kronwall-Bieksa pairing would be quite solid.

Plus I believe that Frolov is going back to the KHL but could be wrong. Thought I read that somewhere... found it.

Frolov to KHL

whoever we decide to go after if the news is true, it better be a right handed shot. We have all of one right hander now? There were so many chances last season where the puck bounced off the goalie for a nice juicy rebound with a half empty net and our players couldnt burry it because they had to catch the puck with their back hand and then transfer it to their forehand. Or when we have a 2 on 1 going and we cant set up a decent one timer because both are lefties and the Dman takes away the only passing lane for two lefties. Plus the past couple of cup winning teams have all had a hard right handed shot from the point in common. Im not saying that we need righties to win, but i do think that having an assorment of righties and lefties would help us out.

Agree 100%. The lack of right-hand shots is one of the main reasons (maybe the only reason) the lamentable Jason Williams stuck around as long as he did -- to play the right point on the second PP. It's bizarre how heavily skewed hockey in general (not just the Wings) is to left-hand shooters.

Joni Pitkanen and Kevin Bieksa... neither alone would replace Rafi, but together they both add pieces to the team they need (youth, scoring, grit, etc) and make up Rafi's points,.

Agree 100%. The lack of right-hand shots is one of the main reasons (maybe the only reason) the lamentable Jason Williams stuck around as long as he did -- to play the right point on the second PP. It's bizarre how heavily skewed hockey in general (not just the Wings) is to left-hand shooters.

Pretty interesting write-up on this topic:

link

• Of 1071 NHL players and prospects, 65% shoot left.
  • Among forwards only, 61% shoot left.
  • Among defencemen, 72% shoot left.

Avid Canucks fans will recall that for a while, the team has had only one right-shooting defenceman. This season it looks like they’ll probably have two.

This appears to be a largely North American phenomenon. I just checked the handedness of some prominent European scorers, and they mostly shot right. Regardless, another of life's tiny mysteries put to rest.

Edited by HankthaTank

If Weber is unsigned I would have no qualms with the Wings sending him a front-loaded 7 year offer (near league max for the first couple years) averaging a $7.5 - $8m cap hit.

The cap has gone up so much now that that is fair market value for a Norris-caliber Dman, but being front-loaded it will make it difficult to match for Nashville *and* sign Suter the next year, whom frankly deserves as much as Weber - would love to have either one on the Wings, and given the Wings situation, a little bad blood over sending an offer sheet is negligible (it's only Nashville). The draft picks would be worth losing as well (two 1st, a 2nd and a 3rd).

Edited by egroen

For decades, players in N. America have been taught to place their dominant hand at the top of the stick (better control when playing with one hand), so the vast majority of right-handed players actually shoot left.

From the official Red Wings page on Facebook:

"The Red Wings have scheduled a press conference for 11:00 AM on Wednesday with Ken Holland and Brian Rafalski expected to attend. Fans will be able to watch the proceedings LIVE on DetroitRedWings.com."

if he wanted to play for the red wings,than he would have kept his mouth closed and would not have guarantied that he would return to nashville

Sorry to inform you PredsFanTheBayou, but he is not gonna come out and say he DOESN'T want to be in Nashville, how would that sound? He isn't even gonna say he wants to see what happens come July 1st. He is be PC and so he doesn't lose faith from fans or his teammates, but in a business, anything can and will AND HAS happened. We've experiencede both sides of that puck:

1. Chris Chelios hates Detroit so much that he would accept a trade there...oops, March 1999, Chelios waives his No-Trade Clause and is traded to Detroit.

2. Marion Hossa tells everyone in the free world that Detroit is where he is gonna end his career, he is gonna a Red Wing and he is going to take less money to stay here. He says it's not even a question, we are just working on the details...oops, July 2009, Marion Hossa signs a "lifetime" contract with the Chicago Blackhawks, chooses to leave Detroit...

I am not saying it will happen, I am not saying it won't happen, it may not even be Detroit where he goes, but prepare yourself because it COULD happen, and if it does, you guys will turn on him just as fast as a Louisiana.....well you understand....

Oh, let me give you another example that needs no explanation, just one word.....Fedorov....

Sorry to inform you PredsFanTheBayou, but he is not gonna come out and say he DOESN'T want to be in Nashville, how would that sound? He isn't even gonna say he wants to see what happens come July 1st. He is be PC and so he doesn't lose faith from fans or his teammates, but in a business, anything can and will AND HAS happened. We've experiencede both sides of that puck:

1. Chris Chelios hates Detroit so much that he would accept a trade there...oops, March 1999, Chelios waives his No-Trade Clause and is traded to Detroit.

2. Marion Hossa tells everyone in the free world that Detroit is where he is gonna end his career, he is gonna a Red Wing and he is going to take less money to stay here. He says it's not even a question, we are just working on the details...oops, July 2009, Marion Hossa signs a "lifetime" contract with the Chicago Blackhawks, chooses to leave Detroit...

I am not saying it will happen, I am not saying it won't happen, it may not even be Detroit where he goes, but prepare yourself because it COULD happen, and if it does, you guys will turn on him just as fast as a Louisiana.....well you understand....

Oh, let me give you another example that needs no explanation, just one word.....Fedorov....

All fantastic points and exactly why you just can't trust most of these players. Well, aside from Stevie and Nick ;)

FORWARDS

Tomas Holmstrom ($1.875m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Johan Franzen ($3.954m)

Todd Bertuzzi ($1.937m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Daniel Cleary ($2.800m)

Scottie Upshall ($3.000m) / Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m) / Justin Abdelkader ($0.787m)

Patrick Eaves ($1.000m) / Darren Helm ($0.912m) / Drew Miller($0.750m)

Jan Mursak ($0.550m)

DEFENSEMEN

Niklas Kronwall ($3.000m) / Brad Stuart ($3.750m)

Jonathan Ericsson ($2.25m) / Nicklas Lidstrom ($6.20m)

Christian Ehroff ($5.00m) / James Wisniewski ($4.25m)

Jakub Kindl ($0.883m)

GOALTENDERS

Jimmy Howard ($2.250m) / ($0.800m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $62,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $40,808,711; BONUSES: $0

CAP SPACE (14-man roster): $816,289,000

OR

FORWARDS

Tomas Holmstrom ($1.875m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Johan Franzen ($3.954m)

Todd Bertuzzi ($1.937m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Daniel Cleary ($2.800m)

Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m) / Brad Richards ($6.700m) / Justin Abdelkader ($0.787m)

Patrick Eaves ($1.000m) / Darren Helm ($0.912m) / Drew Miller($0.750m)

Jan Mursak ($0.550m)

DEFENSEMEN

Niklas Kronwall ($3.000m) / Brad Stuart ($3.750m)

Jonathan Ericsson ($2.25m) / Nicklas Lidstrom ($6.20m)

Christian Ehroff ($5.00m) / Ruslan Salei ($0.750m) (Or equivalent right handed shot)..

Jakub Kindl ($0.883m)

GOALTENDERS

Jimmy Howard ($2.250m) / ($0.800m)

SALARY CAP: $62,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $40,808,711; BONUSES: $0

CAP SPACE (14-man roster): $616,289,000

Hope I got the math right...

Sounds good, but Richards makes nearly $8M now, why on Earth do you think that you would sign here for $6.7M? Or anywhere for that matter for $6.7M? Not unless you are looking at a "Cap Hit Ken Holland Special" that averages $6.7M but pays him $9M for 6 years and $1M for 6 years or some weird math equivilant that works out to be a lot more...

This is not the year to retire, based on the FA talent pool. There just isn't a lot out there, and unfortunately those few players that are available will be high in demand and be subject to a bidding war that will drive up the cost to acquire them.

I wonder if there are any stud defensemen in the draft this year that Holland could trade up to grab.

FORWARDS

Daniel Cleary ($2.800m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Johan Franzen ($3.954m)

Todd Bertuzzi ($1.937m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Jiri Hudler ($2.875m)

Tomas Holmstrom ($1.875m) / Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m) / Tomas Fleischmann ($2.900m)

Justin Abdelkader ($0.787m) / Darren Helm ($0.912m) / Jan Mursak ($0.550m)

Cory Emmerton ($0.533m)

DEFENSEMEN

Nick Lidstrom ($5.900m) / Niklas Kronwall ($3.000m)

Brad Stuart ($3.750m) / Christian Ehrhoff ($4.355m)

Jakub Kindl ($0.883m) / Anton Babchuk ($1.850m)

Brendan Smith ($0.875m)

GOALTENDERS

Jimmy Howard ($2.250m) / Ty Conklin ($1.475m)

SALARY CAP: $59,400,000; CAP PAYROLL: $59,247,044; BONUSES: $0

CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $152,956

FORWARDS

Daniel Cleary ($2.800m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Johan Franzen ($3.954m)

Todd Bertuzzi ($1.937m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Jiri Hudler ($2.875m)

Tomas Holmstrom ($1.875m) / Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m) / Tomas Fleischmann ($2.900m)

Justin Abdelkader ($0.787m) / Darren Helm ($0.912m) / Jan Mursak ($0.550m)

Cory Emmerton ($0.533m)

DEFENSEMEN

Nick Lidstrom ($5.900m) / Niklas Kronwall ($3.000m)

Brad Stuart ($3.750m) / Christian Ehrhoff ($4.355m)

Jakub Kindl ($0.883m) / Anton Babchuk ($1.850m)

Brendan Smith ($0.875m)

GOALTENDERS

Jimmy Howard ($2.250m) / Ty Conklin ($1.475m)

SALARY CAP: $59,400,000; CAP PAYROLL: $59,247,044; BONUSES: $0

CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $152,956

Ya, I think you posted this twice. No thank you on Fleischmann, especially at $2.9M, we already have a small, soft overpaid, underskilled forward for that price... and our back up goalie will be under a million...

Edited by LeftWinger

Ya, I think you posted this twice. No thank you on Fleischmann, especially at $2.9M, we already have a small, soft overpaid, underskilled forward for that price... and our back up goalie will under a million...

Yeah, the only way I would want Fleischmann is if we trade Hudler. Then it's an upgrade situation, but to have them both.. No thank you.

Because few players get more love here at LGW than backup goalies. They play well for a few games and it's time to make 'em the starter! :P

Well, duh! Just want the off season to be done and see the actual logistics come into play. Tough to grasp, just the life I'm livin' :lol:

Just a useless thought, what ever happened to Barret Jackman? He went from ROY, and now I never even hear his name...I see he still plays for the Blues, but....hmmmm....not so dominating as expected.

Sorry, I thought of him after looking at the Dany/Andrei Markov thread over there, I remember when he beat on Dany that one year he was here...

anyhow, back to the originally scheduled thread topic...

Edited by LeftWinger

I know that defense is our weakest point right now, but alot of you are still talking about signing fowards and im a little surprised noone has mentioned brooks laich. Hes an ufa isnt he? Pretty skilled guy and if we are ganna have some money why not take a shot at that guy? With that said, if rafalski is done we really need a blockbuster dman to come in which will probably take away alot of capspace and chances of getting a scorer unless we set up a trade.

I know that defense is our weakest point right now, but alot of you are still talking about signing fowards and im a little surprised noone has mentioned brooks laich. Hes an ufa isnt he? Pretty skilled guy and if we are ganna have some money why not take a shot at that guy? With that said, if rafalski is done we really need a blockbuster dman to come in which will probably take away alot of capspace and chances of getting a scorer unless we set up a trade.

I am all for bringing Laich in to be on a line with Helm or someone that brings that same energy. With Raf gone and that little cushion, he comes a more feasible player to go after but I wouldn't unload too much for him. Worthy option to say the least.

Sad to see Rafa go, hell of a career

Ericcsson wants money but he hasn't done enough for me to care about resigning him, bring up Smith, sign Bieksa and Brad Richards