• Please log in to reply
528 replies to this topic

#421 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,094 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 09:45 PM

No. Seriously. Who are these more attractive free agents that are available next year?

:huh:

Burns, Suter and Coburn. Outside of those 3, I'd say this years crop is better.

#NOMOREKINDL

#422 cgenco1992

cgenco1992

Jr. Prospect

• 15 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 09:46 PM

No. Seriously. Who are these more attractive free agents that are available next year?

:huh:

I completely agree because when I was probing through capgeek.com the top defensemen (contract wise) was Rafalski... and no one up there was pulling me like Pitkanen Beiksa and Wisniewski do.

#423 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,339 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 09:49 PM

Now that's just crazy talk.

I don't think you're being the fun police... but I don't understand why you're being so cheap!
We have $6 million (plus) for defensemen...

Additionally, I'm baffled as to why everyone is griping about the FA market this year. Look at next year... it isn't as if there are any huge franchise defensemen on that list either. You don't think we have a shot at Bieksa, Ehrhoff, etc. but MAGICALLY we have shots at JML or Suter next?? C'mon.

...and I don't know why you have to be the party pooper. Ken Holland might just surprise us all with some deft off season moves. He has the money, so I hope he makes some moves and solidifies our defense instead of just standing around waiting for something to happen for us.

Make a trade for Carle, make a trade for Burns. Sign Wiz or Ehrhoff. Don't sell the farm in making these things happen, but jeez. Why not?

EDIT: poor copy/pasting skills

Trying for isn't the same as going for broke for a player. Wings should try and sign Bieksa, but they shouldn't overpay for him. They should try for Suter and JML, but they shouldn't overpay for them. C'Mon. I'm not trying to be cheap, I'm just being realistic here. Bieksa is going to pull in a big overpaid contract this offseason unless he some how gets hurt this playoffs and scares everyone away. I've never even mentioned Erhoff, but from all accounts I hear he is going to be re-signed. Holland doesn't sign for the first wave anymore, he goes after the second wave players he doesn't have to overspend for.

I hope he solidifies the defense too, and with the suggestions I made of who is practical or realistic (I do note that there are more available of the few I brought up), he not only doesn't over spend but he shores up toughness and defense. And you have to remember, part of that 6mil and extra cap space will be going towards making our forward group stronger and playoff ready.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#424 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,611 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 09:50 PM

Some of you guys are thinking small. Let's replace Lidstrom THIS year, and enjoy a season of Lidstrom and his replacement dominating, and replace Rafalski next year. Think big, people. I know Weber is probably out of the picture but the future is now. Holland won't be going for a decent roleplayer, he's going to find a partner for Kronwall who dominates, and next season another guy who dominates to anchor the second pairing with Stuart when Lidstrom retires.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#425 cgenco1992

cgenco1992

Jr. Prospect

• 15 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 09:59 PM

Anyone hoping for a Lilja return? 750000 wouldnt hit us too hard and provide a solid partner for Kindl!

But I agree with you VM1138, we should replace Lidstrom this year. Who would you pick though? The class for a long term replacement this year off of Free Agency would be Wisniewski Bieksa or Pitkanen (unless we do trade Filpula for Green which would be solid, or any other Ken Holland waving a magic wand and making more magical trades occur).

#426 e_prime

e_prime

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,847 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 10:00 PM

Trying for isn't the same as going for broke for a player. Wings should try and sign Bieksa, but they shouldn't overpay for him. They should try for Suter and JML, but they shouldn't overpay for them. C'Mon. I'm not trying to be cheap, I'm just being realistic here. Bieksa is going to pull in a big overpaid contract this offseason unless he some how gets hurt this playoffs and scares everyone away. I've never even mentioned Erhoff, but from all accounts I hear he is going to be re-signed. Holland doesn't sign for the first wave anymore, he goes after the second wave players he doesn't have to overspend for.

I hope he solidifies the defense too, and with the suggestions I made of who is practical or realistic (I do note that there are more available of the few I brought up), he not only doesn't over spend but he shores up toughness and defense. And you have to remember, part of that 6mil and extra cap space will be going towards making our forward group stronger and playoff ready.

To be clear, Bieksa is not my top choice. Both he and Ehrhoff can be re-signed if they let Salo go, but like us Vancouver needs to shore up their offensive core as well. Signing both those guys to $4+ million deals, plus resigning Alberts, AND their third and fourth lines. Not so easy.

So Kenny should make some offers to some Canucks. Reasonable offers.
I think we're on the same page in a lot of ways. I don't want Babs to over-spend either but I don't want him to be timid either.

Going after Rafalski was a big move. I'd like something ballsy like that. Just sayin'. :cool:

EDIT: and I'll bring that other past back to neutral. it's solid thinking. just soft. :lol:

Edited by e_prime, 24 May 2011 - 10:03 PM.

(AtomicPunk @ February 4, 2010 - 12:16AM)

Imma let you finish, and your cap numbers are all good and all that, but imma let Kenny figure it out. Kenny's cap numbers were the best cap numbers this year.

#427 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,248 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 11:21 PM

found this on Spectors...
I Like the highlighted part!

I would say YES to that!

I hope you're joking.

Trading flip to bring in Mike friggin Green? No thank you.

#428 redwingfan19

redwingfan19

On a mission

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 11:30 PM

I hope you're joking.

Trading flip to bring in Mike friggin Green? No thank you.

matt greene
You may not like tough hockey, but it's winning hockey.

Mitch Callahan: 48GP, 6G, 3A, 9PTS,+/- -3, 103PIMS

14 Fighting Majors

#429 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,248 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 11:34 PM

matt greene

That trade I would be interested in. But the quoted part said Mike Green.

looks like I hurt someone's feelings too. They game me a -1 for saying I didn't want Mike douchebag Green. :P

#430 redwingfan19

redwingfan19

On a mission

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 11:38 PM

That trade I would be interested in. But the quoted part said Mike Green.

looks like I hurt someone's feelings too. They game me a -1 for saying I didn't want Mike douchebag Green. :P

matt greene would be nice, could take over stuarts role once his contract is up. I wouldn't want Mike Green either when you have a Mike Green Lite in Brendan Smith who will be dirt cheap for a few years.
You may not like tough hockey, but it's winning hockey.

Mitch Callahan: 48GP, 6G, 3A, 9PTS,+/- -3, 103PIMS

14 Fighting Majors

#431 Majsheppard

Majsheppard

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 12:26 AM

Andy Greene is actually someone I would like to have on the team.
"It is a lot easier to be an ******* to words than to people"-xkcd

Tootoo does NOT belong on this team. He is classless and I would rather see the Wings be bad than classless. I feel the same way about Bertuzzi as well, but he at least CAN make the team better. With Tootoo the team becomes worse and in danger of being classless. Would you have liked Claude on the team? Or Roy? No. So why would you be okay with that POS.

This thread has been closed due to emotions being higher than people's ability to read, interpret, and properly respond to simple posts.

#432 Majsheppard

Majsheppard

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 12:31 AM

I highly doubt Weber's going anywhere. But, if he's still a RFA come July 1, I say we offer him a front-loaded 10-12 year contract for $7.5M. That way, it's just below the cutoff for giving up 4 first round picks. We would have to give up 2 firsts, a second, and a third. Nashville will probably match, but I say it's still worth a try and the compensation would be worth it. It would also provide a major spark to our team next season.

What's the harm in trying? At worst, our hands are a bit tied the first two days of free agency if we want to sign another defenseman.

You do not offer him anything more than a one year deal. Otherwise he will be in Nashville forever. You offer him a one year offer and you get two chances to sign him.

Tootoo does NOT belong on this team. He is classless and I would rather see the Wings be bad than classless. I feel the same way about Bertuzzi as well, but he at least CAN make the team better. With Tootoo the team becomes worse and in danger of being classless. Would you have liked Claude on the team? Or Roy? No. So why would you be okay with that POS.

This thread has been closed due to emotions being higher than people's ability to read, interpret, and properly respond to simple posts.

#433 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 12:42 AM

You do not offer him anything more than a one year deal. Otherwise he will be in Nashville forever. You offer him a one year offer and you get two chances to sign him.

Then Nashville could theoretically take our four picks and then re-sign him the next summer.

#434 Majsheppard

Majsheppard

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 12:46 AM

Then Nashville could theoretically take our four picks and then re-sign him the next summer.

You have the whole year to sign him to a multi-year deal.

I would hand him a nine year extension as soon as the season begins.

Besides, I say this time and time again. The only way they part with him is if they are afraid they will not be able to sign him as a UFA. That is the biggest fear of a GM. One year offer is the only way for them to play that card.

A multi year deal just does the work for Nashville and they sign on the dotted line.

#435 SiLkK19

SiLkK19

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 930 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 12:53 AM

I would say YES to that!

Forward for forward? Sure why not!

I'd like bieksa and wiz on our d though.

#436 Crashnburnluder

Crashnburnluder

Crashnburnluder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,270 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 12:54 AM

I'm confused why everybody still thinks Holland won't make any moves until the 2nd or 3rd wave. Yes, in the past couple years he tends to do that in situations where the cap is tight. He also has found ways to sign big names like Hossa and Rafalski when he has had the money. There is no way possible to only sign 2nd and 3rd wave players and fill up all of our cap room. I believe that Holland will earn his paycheck and bring in a player that can start replacing what were losing.

On the other note defensive wise I like Ehrhoff, Bieksa, Markov (if he can stay healthy), and I also like the Weber, Doughty offer sheet of it's for 2 firsts, 2nd and a 3rd. Four 1st's is a lot. I'm really excited for this team to really have a chance to throw some money around I just hope we do it in the right manner. I also would love a Hossa type Richards deal... Sign one defenseman this year to replace rafalski, and sign richards for a cup shot and then sign burns/surer for lids. Richards wants a cup contender not huge dollars that works in our favor... I hope...

#437 Buppy

Buppy

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,984 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 01:17 AM

FORWARDS
Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Tomas Holmstrom ($1.875m)
Todd Bertuzzi ($1.937m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Johan Franzen ($3.954m)
Daniel Cleary ($2.800m) / Darren Helm ($0.912m) / Patrick Eaves ($1.250m)
Brad Winchester ($0.750m) / Justin Abdelkader ($0.787m) / Cody McCormick ($0.750m)
/ Cory Emmerton ($0.533m) / Jan Mursak ($0.550m)

DEFENSEMEN
Niklas Kronwall ($3.000m) / James Wisniewski ($4.500m)
Nicklas Lidstrom ($6.200m) / Joni Pitkanen ($4.500m)
Brad Stuart ($3.750m) / Zach Bogosian ($3.500m)
Jakub Kindl ($0.883m)

GOALTENDERS
Jimmy Howard ($2.250m) / Joey MacDonald ($0.750m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $61,500,000; CAP PAYROLL: $61,217,044; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $282,956

Not too far fetched at all. It would be nice to do more with the forwards, but honestly there's nothing out there (Richards aside) that would really take the sting off any injury to Pav/Hank/Mule. And at least with that defense we wouldn't need to score much, and that forward corps would be tough to play against.

Done right, we could also have some decent trade options for the following season if needed.

#438 LivoniaGrinder

LivoniaGrinder

Rookie

• Pip
  • 131 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 02:20 AM

OooooooohhhH! Ralfi! yOU are the man! Putting the pressure on Cap'n Nick to stay another year! Way to take one for the team buddy! You are gonna be sorely missed! We all love you and you are a legend here in Hockeytown! Thanks for the good times, there's gonna be many more! Stanleytown 2012 baby!
--
"Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We're evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that."

--Saul Tigh

#439 Wings4Life19

Wings4Life19

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 06:13 AM

Sign one defenseman this year to replace rafalski

Is there a single defenseman that will be a ufa that we don't know about?

#440 xtrememachine1

xtrememachine1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,434 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 07:00 AM

Button also suggested offering up Mike Green to the Detroit Red Wings for Valtteri Filppula

I would say YES to that!

That's actually not a bad idea. Not sure why the Caps would want Filppula though. They DO need center help, but I don't think Filppula is their guy.

Is there a single defenseman that will be a ufa that we don't know about?

No and none of the UFA defenseman are anything special. I think Holland is going to need to trade for a defenseman or two to replace Rafalski and possibly Lids.