• Please log in to reply
528 replies to this topic

#501 Nightfall

Nightfall

My goal is to deny yours!

• Gold Booster
  • 3,744 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 02:21 PM

You're right, no comparison. Rafalski is 38, Wisniewski is 27. Rafalski is winding down/ending his career. Wis is just hitting his prime.

One good season is a start. The Wings could sign him and then he is an underachiever. The point is we won't know the long term ramifications, and comparing the two really is impossible to do. We are talking about one player who has had proven success versus another player who had one good season. I think Wisniewski is worth a signing at his age. He could very well be an excellent defenseman. I just worry that he is the later, and the Wings fans on this forum have little tolerance for the later.
Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain

#502 dat's sick

dat's sick

Fear can hold you prisoner, hope can set you free

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,335 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 02:22 PM

I've been sort of staying away from hockey since Game 7, so I completely missed this. Wow. What a shocker. I knew he went through injuries the last few seasons and didn't look at all himself during the playoffs, but still I was 100% convinced he'd be back next year. He was the best d-man in the Olympics just a year ago and even this season he had some great stretches.

Very sad to see him go, loved seeing him play next to Lidstrom. He wasn't perfect, but he was a great fit for Detroit and just a great puck-handler. His career is a great story and I wish him all the best in whatever he chooses to do after hockey.

#503 Weezer

Weezer

Jr. Prospect

• 15 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 02:58 PM

Hopefully he steers clear of stand-up comedy after his retirement. Those openers were super cheesy hahaha.

#504 Hockey13Playa

Hockey13Playa

Here's my card.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,413 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 03:03 PM

http://video.redwings.nhl.com/videocenter/console?id=115669&catid=-6

Thank you very much! Should of figured to look on the redwings website :blush:

Posted Image

#505 brennan17

brennan17

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 723 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 03:07 PM

What a career he had. In that interview he seemed like a really down to earth and very kind christian man. You cant beat that. Thanks for everything Brian, God bless!

#506 wingslogo19

wingslogo19

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,234 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 04:22 PM

Thanks for all your work with the Wings, it was great to see you play. Hope to see you around hockey again sometime in the future. Raffi :clap:
IPB Image

#507 HockeyCrazy3033

HockeyCrazy3033

Hall of Famer

• Silver Booster
  • 17,360 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 04:24 PM

Thanks for everything, Raf! What a fantastic career. Good luck with everything and happy retirement!
"I'm a winner. That's all I do". - Chris Osgood -

#508 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,564 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 07:20 PM

I just read the Detroit Free Press coverage and theres two things...one...I'm really sad to see Brian go. What a huge loss to the team. I wonder what his future plans are? And that leads me to my second thought...

"At the end of the day, it came down to priorities, with the top three priorities being serving God, serving my family and serving others. With hockey not being at the top, its time for me to move on.

And then at the end he read from the Bible. Has Rafalski always been a Christian or is this something new? Maybe PM me if you don't want to ruffle feathers but you can answer this.

#509 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 08:37 PM

So this article is everything I've been saying in this and all the other threads...except Holland is saying it...hmmm

No RFAs
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#510 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,044 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 08:39 PM

So this article is everything I've been saying in this and all the other threads...except Holland is saying it...hmmm

No RFAs

When Shea Weber, Drew Doughty and Keith Yandle are all Red Wings next season you AND Holland will be eating your words.. :ph34r: ... :hehe:

#NOMOREKINDL

#511 stinky fish taco

stinky fish taco

FEED ME NEGS

• Restricted
  • PipPipPip
  • 668 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 08:50 PM

holland needs to grow a pair.

so what if nashville matches, if it improves your chances at landing a UFA suter next year?

Edited by stinky fish taco, 26 May 2011 - 06:34 AM.

Helm is a perennial Selke candidate

LOL

#512 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 09:15 PM

holland needs to grow a pair.

so what is nashville matches, if it improves your chances at landing a UFA suter next year?

The only capitalization you used was on "UFA", how disrespectful to Holland.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#513 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 10:09 AM

+100!!!!!!

Posted Image
TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.

#514 IllinoisRedWingsFan

IllinoisRedWingsFan

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 11:27 AM

Thanks for the memories Raffy! Enjoy Retirement.

#515 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,625 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 01:26 PM

I just read the Detroit Free Press coverage and theres two things...one...I'm really sad to see Brian go. What a huge loss to the team. I wonder what his future plans are? And that leads me to my second thought...

And then at the end he read from the Bible. Has Rafalski always been a Christian or is this something new? Maybe PM me if you don't want to ruffle feathers but you can answer this.

No feathers should be ruffled by that. Yes, he's always been a Christian as far as I know.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#516 Finnish Wing

Finnish Wing

13th Forward

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 03:46 PM

Great player! I remember him well when he played in Finland for HPK and IFK. Was amazing player already back then.

Thank you Raffi!
Detroit Red Wings & Tampereen Ilves forever!

#517 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,625 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 04:25 PM

One good season is a start. The Wings could sign him and then he is an underachiever. The point is we won't know the long term ramifications, and comparing the two really is impossible to do. We are talking about one player who has had proven success versus another player who had one good season. I think Wisniewski is worth a signing at his age. He could very well be an excellent defenseman. I just worry that he is the later, and the Wings fans on this forum have little tolerance for the later.

A couple things I look at when I see Wisniewski and also the same things really make me want to see him in a Wings jersey next season and for a LONG time. He has shown that (so far) he can excell in a system that relies on scoring from defense, and the prototypical team for that is Detroit, so you can only guess that he would continue that trend, also, every team he played for in the West, when the Wings went up against him, he physically punished the Wings (it helps that Chicago and Anaheim were huge rivals and adds fuel to the fire) so you would think that if he continued that trend as well, he would be nothing but pluses for the Wings. I mean, he is no Shea Weber, but he does have a snarl, clears the front of the net, sticks up for his teammates, rarely ever gives up an opportunity to check someone, PLUS he has shown that he can score some points, this could be a huge opportunity for Detroit to get the type of defenseman they have been seeking since Konstantinov was hurt. (disclaimer: I am in no way saying Wiz is just as good as Konstantinov.)

I for one, am hoping among hope that he is a Red Wing next season and on a long term basis... (heck with all this Wisniewski talk, he almost deserves his own thread....almost)

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Aww You Mad Bro? Are You Butt Hurt?

#518 Dimaline312000

Dimaline312000

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,182 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 04:29 PM

I'm a bit suprised at the news but it really make me wonder if Liddy is retiring too and Raf just didn't want to lose a line-mate like Liddy. However it also makes me think that now that Raf has retired maybe he won't want to leave the Wings looking for 2 good D-men to try to fill in their shoes. I wish Brian all the best but now I'm really excited to see what happens.

#519 wingnut40

wingnut40

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 04:35 PM

Oh c'mon, why'd my post get deleted? :(

No feathers should be ruffled by that. Yes, he's always been a Christian as far as I know.

Yes, he went to school at Southfield Christian.
Go rest high on that mountain, cause son your work on Earth is done. Go to Heaven a'shouting love for the Father and the Son. Ruslan Salei, Brad McCrimmon, Stefan Liv, Pavol Demitra, and the entire Lokomotiv team.

#520 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,564 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 01:30 PM

Oh c'mon, why'd my post get deleted? :(

Yes, he went to school at Southfield Christian.

Yeah thats very odd that they deleted that post...hmmm <_< I guess I wasn't far off in asking for a PM.