• Please log in to reply
528 replies to this topic

#61 CAredwingsfan91

CAredwingsfan91

I'm back!

• PipPipPipPip
  • 813 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 04:53 PM

darren dreger is reporting this now and has said CONFIRMED.
You shook Sinatra's hand, you should know better.

#62 Rick Zombos Ghost

Rick Zombos Ghost

the jerk store

• PipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 04:53 PM

his knee is completly shot. its bone on bone. so its not that big of a shock...BOGOSIAN HERE WE COME!

#63 hockey23

hockey23

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 04:55 PM

by higher end player in Markov you mean, more expensive?

Markov hasn't played a full season in two years.
Why would we replacing a broken-down aging defenseman (no offense Raffi) with someone who's breaking down and is five years younger?

I don't really know if he's breaking down. He's had 2 unlucky injuries that were severe, but I'm not sure what the long term impact of those injuries will be. I was under the impression that he would be 100% for the upcoming season, but what have you heard about lasting effects of the injuries?

#64 Green Wing

Green Wing

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 04:55 PM

Wow.

Didn't see this coming.

It must be that spaghetti knee of his, I'd guess.

He was pretty disappointing recently, but I'm still shocked he's actually retiring and not trying to battle out another year.

There will be a big signing or two now, with this news, I'm sure.

#65 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 04:56 PM

his knee is completly shot. its bone on bone. so its not that big of a shock...BOGOSIAN HERE WE COME!

Right, his mobility was awful toward the end there. Bogosian would be alright but I still would love to see if we can make a try at a franchise dman. This will no doubt insight 80 lines threads in the next month :lol: Shall be interesting.
TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.

#66 Rick Zombos Ghost

Rick Zombos Ghost

the jerk store

• PipPipPip
  • 632 posts

one good thing is i this pretty much cements the fact lidstrom will come back. he would not hang us out to dry without a top D pairing...

#67 DesertWing

DesertWing

Rookie

• Pip
  • 184 posts

It would leave us with a lot of cap space. Shouldn't be any financial issues preventing us from giving Lids what he's asking for. I'd like to have Rafa back, but not at the salary he's due.

#68 e_prime

e_prime

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,811 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 04:58 PM

I don't really know if he's breaking down. He's had 2 unlucky injuries that were severe, but I'm not sure what the long term impact of those injuries will be. I was under the impression that he would be 100% for the upcoming season, but what have you heard about lasting effects of the injuries?

His knee. Rafalski's knee. It's too eerily similar for me to even bite on as a thought.
Of course, I'm not an NHL GM.

So, who knows...
(AtomicPunk @ February 4, 2010 - 12:16AM)

Imma let you finish, and your cap numbers are all good and all that, but imma let Kenny figure it out. Kenny's cap numbers were the best cap numbers this year.

#69 Jesusberg

Jesusberg

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,770 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 04:59 PM

Unlucky, sure... but he's still had the issues. If I had to take one of Ehrhoff or Markov I'd go with Ehrhoff.

#70 kdutch98

kdutch98

Draftee

• 3 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 05:00 PM

It would leave us with a lot of cap space. Shouldn't be any financial issues preventing us from giving Lids what he's asking for. I'd like to have Rafa back, but not at the salary he's due.

It would leave us with a little more cap space, however it won't be the full 6 million as some have stated. I believe that, according to the CBA, the entire remaining amount left on his contract is spread out over either 2 or 3 years. Thus, if it is over 3 years, the Wings will be hit with a 2 million cap hit for Rafalski this season (instead of the entire 6) which would leave them with an extra 4 million

#71 wingsgirl001

wingsgirl001

Hey Hey, Hockeytown!

• Gold Booster
  • 6,753 posts

...Um. What. :blink:

Completely unexpected. :( Sad to see him go.

i57ouh.jpg

Captain Z!

#72 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,817 posts

Now this is exciting, at least now we know something is gonna happen, either a trade or a signing of someone significant. I cannot stop looking up salaries and stats and hits and teams!!!!

The thing is, now Holland just doesn't have to shore up the defensive end of the line, but now he is going to have to find away to replace Rafalski's points and powerplay minutes... Ehrhoff makes sense, what about Kaberle? Wisniewski scored 51 points, now offering him $4M doesn't seem out of the realm. Holland is gonna have to scoop someone up in the first week, if not the first day of UFA, just to make sure he fills Rafi's spot as best as he can...

Edited by LeftWinger, 23 May 2011 - 05:04 PM.

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Nestrasil, yes...Cleary....No!

Dump Q and K Now!

#73 Wings4Life19

Wings4Life19

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 442 posts

just heard it mentioned on NHL Live!, said it was going to be announced on wednesday

#74 e_prime

e_prime

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,811 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 05:02 PM

Unlucky, sure... but he's still had the issues. If I had to take one of Ehrhoff or Markov I'd go with Ehrhoff.

...and what's great is that we can afford Ehrhoff AND MORE!! MORE!! MOREEEEE!!!!!!!!!

Now this is exciting, at least now we know something is gonna happen, either a trade or a signing of someone significant. I cannot stop looking up salaries and stats and hits and teams!!!!

You and me both, man.

Edited by e_prime, 23 May 2011 - 05:03 PM.

(AtomicPunk @ February 4, 2010 - 12:16AM)

Imma let you finish, and your cap numbers are all good and all that, but imma let Kenny figure it out. Kenny's cap numbers were the best cap numbers this year.

#75 Majsheppard

Majsheppard

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 05:03 PM

I think we really should offer Weber a top dollar contract for one year now. There really isn't anything to lose because if we don't get a solid replacement for Ralf and possibly Lidstrom we will take a bigger fall. I would have to say this might be the straw that leads to our rebuilding phase.

I think we should also definitely make a play for Bieska and look at that Bogo deal again.

It seems we will definitely have a shake up, whether or not Holland wants it.

Of course it is also possible we just roll with E, Kindl, and Smith. Though I wouldn't like our chances at a cup...
"It is a lot easier to be an ******* to words than to people"-xkcd

Tootoo does NOT belong on this team. He is classless and I would rather see the Wings be bad than classless. I feel the same way about Bertuzzi as well, but he at least CAN make the team better. With Tootoo the team becomes worse and in danger of being classless. Would you have liked Claude on the team? Or Roy? No. So why would you be okay with that POS.

This thread has been closed due to emotions being higher than people's ability to read, interpret, and properly respond to simple posts.

#76 kdutch98

kdutch98

Draftee

• 3 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 05:04 PM

darren dreger is reporting this now and has said CONFIRMED.

I have to check the CBA to be sure, but I do NOT believe the Wings will get all 6 million off the books. Rafalski is retiring with a contract through this up coming season. I believe that the remaining amount is spread out against the cap over a period of 3 years (may just be 2 though). Thus, they may only get 4 million off the books (or maybe just 3 million, depending on the terms)

And, good luck finding a GM stupid enough to take Hudler and his 2.75 million contract off our hands.

#77 10 Minute Misconduct

10 Minute Misconduct

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,551 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 05:07 PM

Yeah i'm pretty stoked, off season just got a hole lot better :P

Personally I don't want Kaberle, think he's a bit on the soft side but is an elite puck mover. I'd take Ehroff as my first pick.

Posted Image

#78 hockey23

hockey23

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 05:08 PM

Ehrhoff is the safer choice, but Markov is the better player (when healthy). If I had to choose, I'd take both.

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS
Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Tomas Holmstrom ($1.875m)
Johan Franzen ($3.954m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Daniel Cleary ($2.800m)
Jiri Hudler ($2.875m) / Darren Helm ($0.912m) / Todd Bertuzzi ($1.937m)
Drew Miller ($0.750m) / Justin Abdelkader ($0.787m) / Patrick Eaves ($0.950m)
/ / Jan Mursak ($0.550m)

DEFENSEMEN
Nicklas Lidstrom ($6.200m) / Brad Stuart ($3.750m)
Niklas Kronwall ($3.000m) / Andrei Markov ($5.750m)
Jakub Kindl ($0.883m) / Christian Ehrhoff ($4.500m)
Brendan Smith ($0.875m)

GOALTENDERS
Jimmy Howard ($2.250m) / Chris Osgood ($0.800m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $62,400,000; CAP PAYROLL: $60,683,711; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $1,216,289

#79 Wings4Life19

Wings4Life19

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 05:08 PM

#80 redwings8831

redwings8831

redwings8831

• PipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 05:09 PM

I have to check the CBA to be sure, but I do NOT believe the Wings will get all 6 million off the books. Rafalski is retiring with a contract through this up coming season. I believe that the remaining amount is spread out against the cap over a period of 3 years (may just be 2 though). Thus, they may only get 4 million off the books (or maybe just 3 million, depending on the terms)

And, good luck finding a GM stupid enough to take Hudler and his 2.75 million contract off our hands.

Pretty sure you get it all back if the contract was signed prior to the player turning 35.