#101 e_prime

e_prime

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 05:33 PM

maybe we can sign Brad Richards now!!!

Oh, we could... but does he play D? :ph34r:
(AtomicPunk @ February 4, 2010 - 12:16AM)

Imma let you finish, and your cap numbers are all good and all that, but imma let Kenny figure it out. Kenny's cap numbers were the best cap numbers this year.

#102 mjlegend

mjlegend

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 05:41 PM

Rafalski is a proven winner and I hate to see injuries end careers. A guy like Wisniewski, who has bounced around with four teams in the last three years before getting a lot of points in a contract year, is not a good enough replacement.

He's played in 18 playoff games and scored five points. Are we sure he's going to be able to make that crucial outlet pass in a big playoff game? Because for the kind of money that will get thrown his way by other teams that the Wings would in theory have to outbid, he damn well better.

As someone said above, there is now no reason not to throw a giant bag of money at Shea Weber, term and everything. I'm certain he's going to be a multiple Norris winner in the coming years. I don't think $40 million/8 years is too much. If we lose a couple of Riley Sheahan, Landon Ferraro-types as compensation, so what? This is one of the best two-way defencemen in the world who would be age 26 at his first Wings' training camp.

There has already been a thread started here. He must retire, otherwise LGW will lose it's credibility.

True. Might as well rename it 'Let's go Eklund'.

#103 pucktividi

pucktividi

the usual suspect

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 05:44 PM

And, good luck finding a GM stupid enough to take Hudler and his 2.75 million contract off our hands.

2 words...Brian Burke :yowza:

It worked with Lebda

#104 Jersey Wing

Jersey Wing

Watching Eastern Conference hockey before it was cool...

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 05:47 PM

If true Godspeed Brian Rafalski, thank you for your time in Detroit, your effort, and your play to help win the 2008 Stanley Cup.

Feel free to hang around Joe Louis Arena and give the glad hand to fans

14767451334_8f0d14d8cb_o.jpg

#105 stinky fish taco

stinky fish taco

FEED ME NEGS

• Restricted
  • PipPipPip
  • 668 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 05:49 PM

I want Weber... A beast that can play. Think he'd take Rafalski's 6mil contract for 3-5 yrs?

so your plan is to sign shea weber to a 6 mil offer sheet and hope nashville doesn't match it?

...let me know how that works out.

Helm is a perennial Selke candidate

LOL

#106 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 05:51 PM

Well I'm gonna go ahead and throw out who I want now.

Wiznewski, Bieksa, or Pitkanen preferably. I'm not all that sold on Ehrhoff.

Wiz or Beeker can clear the crease, hit and fight a little as well as put up points. Could be that guy the wings havent been able to find for a very long time

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#107 wingsownnhl43

wingsownnhl43

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 586 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 05:52 PM

How awesome would it be to steal Ehrhoff and Bieksa from Vancouver. We have the space to do it now.

#108 e_prime

e_prime

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 05:54 PM

so your plan is to sign shea weber to a 6 mil offer sheet and hope nashville doesn't match it?

...let me know how that works out.

Yeah, it's going to take a little more than that... someone else mentioned Raffi's number for 3-5 years... and I think it's going to take even more than that.
(AtomicPunk @ February 4, 2010 - 12:16AM)

Imma let you finish, and your cap numbers are all good and all that, but imma let Kenny figure it out. Kenny's cap numbers were the best cap numbers this year.

#109 stinky fish taco

stinky fish taco

FEED ME NEGS

• Restricted
  • PipPipPip
  • 668 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 05:57 PM

anything under 7.5 and the preds match easily. over 7.5 gives 4 1st rounders, and maybe they think about it.

chances that weber actually ends up a wing next season? 0.0001%.

Helm is a perennial Selke candidate

LOL

#110 wings1110

wings1110

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 05:57 PM

new defensive coach lol

#111 matt198913

matt198913

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,973 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 06:00 PM

Thanks for the effort Brian... Bieksa anyone?
BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#112 cjm502

cjm502

This man was born to kick ass.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 06:01 PM

It would leave us with a little more cap space, however it won't be the full 6 million as some have stated. I believe that, according to the CBA, the entire remaining amount left on his contract is spread out over either 2 or 3 years. Thus, if it is over 3 years, the Wings will be hit with a 2 million cap hit for Rafalski this season (instead of the entire 6) which would leave them with an extra 4 million

I do not believe that is the case. If it was a buyout some of his salary would be stuck with us but since he would be retiring and his contract was signed before he was 35 I believe his salary would be off the books.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#113 wings1110

wings1110

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts

i dont want us signing or aquiring anyone older than 25-28 this team needs youth!

#114 10 Minute Misconduct

10 Minute Misconduct

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,551 posts

I'll take Erhoff and Wiz. Thanks.

Posted Image

#115 Nightfall

Nightfall

My goal is to deny yours!

• Gold Booster
  • 3,744 posts

Lets be honest here. Rafalski is a elite defenseman in the NHL. If he does decide to retire, that puts the Wings with a BIG hole. It may also influence Lidstrom's decision as well because they will be losing a piece on defense. These things being said, it could have an upside, but I really don't see anyone on the free agent market that is as good or better.

The crop of free agents hitting the market now are not as good as Rafalski. I know that Weber has been mentioned, but Nashville isn't going to let him go. The Wings are not going to sign him because of the loss of all the draft picks he will cost. Brendan Smith isn't ready for the NHL yet. I have seen him in Grand Rapids, and while he is a great defenseman, he needs some help on the defensive part of his game. I think he needs at least another full year in the AHL.

If he does decide to retire, he is going to be missed by the Wings. I know I will never forget meeting him the year he signed with the Wings. I shook his hand at a meet and greet at Van Andel that season ticket holders got to attend. The Wings swung by and did a practice at Van Andel that day and really put on a good show for the fans. What a nice guy.

At the same time though, he has accomplished a lot in his career. Three Stanley Cups and two Olympic silver medals are more than many will have ever accomplished.
Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain

#116 syntax

syntax

Join the Empire!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,885 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 06:02 PM

If true, this really came out of the blue.

Puts us in a scary spot for defense next year, fan of Rafalski or not.

I dig Raf, but if his knee is shot and his back is halfway there, it might be time to call it a career.

I hope Holland can do something big with the money.
The Vladinator He earned the NHL Plus/Minus Award in 1995-96, with a plus/minus difference of plus-60. The +60 has been the highest rating a player has finished with in the past 20 seasons, since Wayne Gretzky finished with a +70 in the 1986-87 NHL season

Pavel Datsyuk > x (where x is the name of any active hockey player)

#117 redwingfan19

redwingfan19

On a mission

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,523 posts

If Lidstrom retires I would like to see the Wings sign one of Wiz or Bieksa and Markov. If Lids stays then one of Wiz or Bieksa is a real possibility. I'd still let Ericsson and Salei walk as Kindl and Smith are both better than those 2 at this point. Sign Shane O'Brien as the 5th d man and D is looking amazing especially if Lidstrom stays.

With Lidstrom:

Lidstrom/Wiz or Bieksa
Kronwall/Stuart
O'Brien/Smith
Kindl

Without Lidstrom:

Markov/Stuart
Kronwall/Wiz or Bieksa
O'Brien/Smith
Kindl

I think I would actually prefer Wiz over Bieksa but thats just me, also I think Wiz would love the chance to play for the Wings since he is a Michigan native.
You may not like tough hockey, but it's winning hockey.

Mitch Callahan: 48GP, 6G, 3A, 9PTS,+/- -3, 103PIMS

14 Fighting Majors

#118 pucktividi

pucktividi

the usual suspect

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Must be right handed D man for sure...

#119 wings1110

wings1110

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts

he def isnt worth 6 mil!!

#120 teamhillman

teamhillman

Draftee

• 10 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 06:05 PM

as much as i hope it wont wont happen i can see kenny going after kaberle.. i would love for both brewer and bieksa to be wearing red next year...but with the post seasons both are having i cant see either team letting them go