Matt

D<[[[| x11

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,070 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 06:38 PM

Found it: http://www.usatoday....-redwings_N.htm

The important bit:

Rafalski's agent, William Zito, said five teams tried to sign the defenseman — including one offering a six-year, $40 million contract — but he wanted to play for his hometown team.

... Which works out to roughly $6.67-million/season. Almost $700K -- a nice chunk of change to save.

Rafalski was a fantastic signing and a great compliment to Lidstrom on the power play. (Schneider did us a favor!) We will desperately miss that first-pass and the right-hand shot on the power play. Thanks Brian!

#142 13GoWings40

13GoWings40

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 06:42 PM

Damn, this really came out of left field. Thanks for the cup and all the memories Brian, you will be missed

In terms of the UFA market, I agree that there really isn't anything out there for us. The more I think about this and Holland's comments since we were eliminated about possible moves outside free agency, the more I see a big trade happening. I'm talking about the type of trade that we haven't seen from the Wings in years. I have no idea who we would target, but something tells me Holland has something up his sleeve.

#143 pucktividi

pucktividi

the usual suspect

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,329 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 06:42 PM

It's not. He was offered more than Detroit's $6-million when he hit free agency. (It might've been the Devils to try to keep him at around $6.5-million, but I haven't looked back to confirm.) Regardless, he absolutely took a lower offer to play here. It was a big point made in the press when he signed here.

Classy guy for a classy organisation.He could probably play another 40-50 games next season,but he walked away from 6 mil$
:thumbup: for Brian

#144 ben_usmc

ben_usmc

Kenny Powers Fan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,818 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 06:54 PM

Get any 2 of Wiz/Brewer/Vandemeer/Bogosian, let Salei/Big E walk, then have Kindl run full time bottom pairing with Smith being the utility 7th dman. I prefer Wiz/Bogosian

The important bit:

... Which works out to roughly $6.67-million/season. Almost $700K -- a nice chunk of change to save.

Rafalski was a fantastic signing and a great compliment to Lidstrom on the power play. (Schneider did us a favor!) We will desperately miss that first-pass and the right-hand shot on the power play. Thanks Brian!

Although he has been very erratic the last few seasons (aside from Olympics) his contract was worth it, he was a big piece in winning the cup and it's sad but you could kind of tell the body just couldn't do it anymore. Good Luck Rafalski
There's no I in team, but there's a U in c***, so don't be little jealous c***s

#145 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,570 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 06:54 PM

Lots of $ to spend. Fear not, we will make it work. Take your boy Hudler's 2.875 off the books and we are sitting beautifully.

:w00t2: Yes, if all that happens, plus the cap goes up $4.1M!?!?! Holland would have over $25,000,000!!!!! to spend....when is the last time he had that much to spend?!?!?! Screw it, Ehrhoff, Wisniewski & Babchuk! add those to Lidstrom, viola!

Lidstrom Stuart
Kronwall Ehrhoff
Wisniewski Babchuk
Kindl

Do it Kenny!

Edited by LeftWinger, 23 May 2011 - 07:24 PM.

Don't Be Jealous Because I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

#146 Esquire

Esquire

Fix up, Look sharp.

• HoF Booster
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 06:56 PM

as much as i hope it wont wont happen i can see kenny going after kaberle.. i would love for both brewer and bieksa to be wearing red next year...but with the post seasons both are having i cant see either team letting them go

I think a lot of people are overlooking this fact.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#147 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

• Silver Booster
  • 8,570 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 06:57 PM

It would leave us with a lot of cap space. Shouldn't be any financial issues preventing us from giving Lids what he's asking for. I'd like to have Rafa back, but not at the salary he's due.

Lids should take $5.5M to $6M. Still will leave Holland $19M!!!!! (after he trades Hudler!)

I could imagine, maybe, just maybe he could offer something to Richards after all? Maybe?

www.thinkdunes.com

#148 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,867 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 06:59 PM

The important bit:

Agreed. As I said not too long ago, he was a huge part of the Wings system because of his great passing. And his long bombs helped keep other teams honest.

Assuming Rafalski really retires, doesn't that leave Eaves as the only right-handed shot on the roster?

#149 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

• Silver Booster
  • 8,570 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 07:00 PM

I have to check the CBA to be sure, but I do NOT believe the Wings will get all 6 million off the books. Rafalski is retiring with a contract through this up coming season. I believe that the remaining amount is spread out against the cap over a period of 3 years (may just be 2 though). Thus, they may only get 4 million off the books (or maybe just 3 million, depending on the terms)

And, good luck finding a GM stupid enough to take Hudler and his 2.75 million contract off our hands.

Here is why someone would take Hudler, he is young, has potential, in a contract year and if he scores 20, $2.875M is fair... he just doesn't fit here...

Edited by LeftWinger, 23 May 2011 - 07:01 PM.

www.thinkdunes.com

#150 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 07:03 PM

People seem to forget a broken down, one legged Rafalski put up 90 points the past two seasons and had a .75 PPG pace this season. he was the catalyst for our ES. This team needs a smooth puck moving defenseman, a guy that isn't one of the dozen that LGW are throwing around, save for Wiz. Weber, Suter, Doughty, Bieksa, Bogo aren't coming here and nor will they even be given offers because they are going to be the first waved signed. I'll make anyone that bet right now.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#151 redwingfan19

redwingfan19

On a mission

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 07:03 PM

Here is why someone would take Hudler, he is young, has potential, in a contract year and if he scores 20, $2.875M is fair... he just doesn't fit here...

Agreed, plenty of teams would take Hudler. It all comes down to if Kenny has the stones to trade him or not.
You may not like tough hockey, but it's winning hockey.

Mitch Callahan: 48GP, 6G, 3A, 9PTS,+/- -3, 103PIMS

14 Fighting Majors

#152 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

• Silver Booster
  • 8,570 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 07:04 PM

Ehrhoff is the safer choice, but Markov is the better player (when healthy). If I had to choose, I'd take both.

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS
Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Tomas Holmstrom ($1.875m)
Johan Franzen ($3.954m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Daniel Cleary ($2.800m)
Jiri Hudler ($2.875m) / Darren Helm ($0.912m) / Todd Bertuzzi ($1.937m)
Drew Miller ($0.750m) / Justin Abdelkader ($0.787m) / Patrick Eaves ($0.950m)
/ / Jan Mursak ($0.550m)

DEFENSEMEN
Nicklas Lidstrom ($6.200m) / Brad Stuart ($3.750m)
Niklas Kronwall ($3.000m) / Andrei Markov ($5.750m)
Jakub Kindl ($0.883m) / Christian Ehrhoff ($4.500m)
Brendan Smith ($0.875m)

GOALTENDERS
Jimmy Howard ($2.250m) / Chris Osgood ($0.800m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $62,400,000; CAP PAYROLL: $60,683,711; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $1,216,289

I would prefer Wisniewski over Markov, he wouldn't cost as much and besides, who is gonna score goals next year? Besides the urgency on D all of a sudden, they still need a pure scorer...

www.thinkdunes.com

#153 Datsyerberger

Datsyerberger

"Dat's yer burger, Hank."

• HoF Booster
  • 3,097 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 07:04 PM

Forget Weber and Doughty. It ain't happenin'.

However, this certainly does make 2 of Kaberle/Bieksa/Babchuk/Wisniewski/Brewer/Ehrhoff a possibility, with space to sign a 3rd, gritty bottom pair guy as well.
If some bored artist wants to make me a signature, feel free to cut loose and do so.

Of course, I could get off my lame rear and do something.

#154 redwingfan19

redwingfan19

On a mission

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 07:05 PM

People seem to forget a broken down, one legged Rafalski put up 90 points the past two seasons and had a .75 PPG pace this season. he was the catalyst for our ES. This team needs a smooth puck moving defenseman, a guy that isn't one of the dozen that LGW are throwing around, save for Wiz. Weber, Suter, Doughty, Bieksa, Bogo aren't coming here and nor will they even be given offers because they are going to be the first waved signed. I'll make anyone that bet right now.

I think Bieksa and Wiz are realistic possibilities but your right about the others.
You may not like tough hockey, but it's winning hockey.

Mitch Callahan: 48GP, 6G, 3A, 9PTS,+/- -3, 103PIMS

14 Fighting Majors

#155 e_prime

e_prime

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 07:09 PM

I think a lot of people are overlooking this fact.

Do those teams have the cap space we now have? ...and how many of those teams have multiple players to re-sign whose agents will think their players deserve raises because of how far their respective teams went in the playoffs.

It goes both ways.

If Kenny isn't moving in that first wave this year, we're in deep s***... and yes, I do understand that some of these teams can sign their players before they even hit free agency.

Edited by e_prime, 23 May 2011 - 07:10 PM.

(AtomicPunk @ February 4, 2010 - 12:16AM)

Imma let you finish, and your cap numbers are all good and all that, but imma let Kenny figure it out. Kenny's cap numbers were the best cap numbers this year.

#156 Kira

Kira

"I hope you're not from KGB"

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,556 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 07:10 PM

Well, this certainly throws a monkey wrench into things doesn't it?

To those of you who are all fired up about Brendan Smith, he's not ready yet. He needs some more seasoning. Another year or two in GR will do him a lot of good.

Who do we sign? Depends on who wants it bad enough to sign for the right price. I'm not sure I really want another Markov, and Kaberle is not the answer either. Truth be known, I'd rather have Andreas Lilja back than Kaberle.

But that's just me. If this is true, then thank you, Brian, for everything. A class act indeed.
Posted Image

#157 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 07:12 PM

No need to panic, we have Doug Janik? :unsure:

#158 pucktividi

pucktividi

the usual suspect

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,329 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 07:13 PM

I think the Nucks won't sign Salo and use his salary(3.5) to improve Bieksa and Ehrhoff's new contracts so....Pitkanen and Wis anyone?

#159 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

• Silver Booster
  • 8,570 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 07:16 PM

Weber is obtainable if the Preds don't sign him before July 1st. As an RFA they can match anything, but at a certain point they might rather take the picks. I believe he can be an extremely expensive addition that you might not have been willing to take unless your defense sustains a critical loss, and it is possible that Lids running out of time and Brian retiring could be just that.

I still think the only way to get him is to offer him a good one year contract. The Preds might just realize that they will get nothing better from trading him after matching, and with UFA a year away and Weber taking a one year deal they might know they won't keep him.

You are right he is a franchise player, but remember he might not want to stay. The only way to tell is if you let him become a UFA and any team with some balls can offer him a one year contract that will make that certain.

Doughty, however, is too young for that to be an option.

I think it is far more likely we will go to FA for one addition, and this ensures we keep Ericcson and most likely will overpay him now...

The names thrown around aren't that great to be honest, and no one really fills what we would lose with Brian.

I really don't like this.

BOoooooOOOooOOO!!!! Hissss!

www.thinkdunes.com

#160 sputman

sputman

4th Line Baggage

• HoF Booster
  • 3,068 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 07:17 PM

I think Bieksa and Wiz are realistic possibilities but your right about the others.

please please please please please please please...
Posted Image