38 replies to this topic

#21 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,601 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 01:29 AM

What else did he need?

A decent defensive coach, resulting in a more effective D, resulting in even greater play by Rafalski. The Wings defensive woes were NOT his fault, but what I'm saying is that we can imagine his stats would have been greater (or more up to his skill level) if the teams defense was more effective. Many would say it was compromised under McCrimmon's watch. Thats the shame here.

#22 blueadams

blueadams

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 02:00 AM

I've always liked Rafalski but you've got your head in the sand if you can't see that his play has declined quite a bit since he first signed in Detroit. He can't keep up in his own end anymore.

That said, his offense will be very hard to replace.

Sanity. Does anyone else here still have theirs?

#23 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 23,280 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 07:17 AM

Always will be the best picture of him in a Wings uniform, after his '08 Finals Game 5 go-ahead goal in the 3rd.

Posted Image

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#24 xtrememachine1

xtrememachine1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,434 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 07:29 AM

Always will be the best picture of him in a Wings uniform, after his '08 Finals Game 5 go-ahead goal in the 3rd.

Posted Image

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6_tneoYb0w

I could be wrong here, but I think that Brian Rafalski put the Detroit Red Wings ahead of himself today. I think he still wants to play. I think he realized that he was no longer worth the 6mil/season he was being paid. And I think he realized that the organization could make better use of that cap space elsewhere.

He essentially donated $6,000,000 to next year's Stanley Cup run (maybe more, as Lidstrom can now take a pay-cut and still be our highest paid defenseman). Not a lot of professional athletes would have done that, especially in this day and age. It deserves serious recognition and applause, imo.

He had a he!! of a prime with us, won a Stanley Cup, and always gave it all he had.

I don't think he's "donating" $6 mil to the Wings next Cup run. I think maybe the injuries he's fought through over the past few seasons are taking their toll on him. HOWEVER, I do think its a little convenient (maybe too convenient) that a $6 mil defenseman unexpectedly retires right before two big RFA defensemen hit the market.

#25 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,810 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 07:49 AM

I don't think he's "donating" $6 mil to the Wings next Cup run. I think maybe the injuries he's fought through over the past few seasons are taking their toll on him. HOWEVER, I do think its a little convenient (maybe too convenient) that a $6 mil defenseman unexpectedly retires right before two big RFA defensemen hit the market.

Agreed.

It's gotta be the injuries that he's had these past few years that are nagging him, and making him realise that it'll get worse...And yes - I too believe he's declined a bit in his own end, and has become an easier target for fast forechecking forwards.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#26 Heroes of Hockeytown

Heroes of Hockeytown

Big Goal Bob

• Bronze Booster
  • 13,729 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 07:52 AM

I'm sure Rafalski is a stand up guy, but I sincerely doubt he's retiring in some bizarre effort to "help" the Wings, especially when it wouldn't be any help at all if the Wings can't get someone to replace his offensive ability.

In any event, I still appreciate Brian and his effort in Detroit and the Cup he was a big part of the team winning. No regrets; mission accomplished, man. :thumbup:
"We've been in the same spot all year long. We won 50 games for the fourth year in a row. People think we're just hum-drum and boring.
No, you know what we are, we're good. You can't do what we do every single day and not be good." - Mike Babcock

#27 Cruiser008

Cruiser008

Headed to the Rafters

• Silver Booster
  • 2,121 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 08:34 AM

Thanks for 4 great years Rafalski. We wouldn't have won the cup in '08 without you.

#28 KrazyGangsta

KrazyGangsta

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 2,465 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 08:45 AM

I think your right but I also think your wrong. I do agree that he did put the team first all tho the reason he retired is probably not due to that he can't produce. I think he realized that his health is more important and being a player that's getting paid 6 million a year and being injured was not his type of a player.

I'm really going to miss him, it's going to be a big blow to our defense. For all those that wanted Rafalski out the past couple of years ... well get ready guys our defense just dropped about 20% and our offense by 15%.

#29 wingnut40

wingnut40

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 09:10 AM

Posted Image

His face after that goal will always stick in my mind. I couldn't believe his eyebrows could go that far up his head!! :P Last goal in game 5 and first goal in game 6! He was great that year.

I'm actually going to miss him. He did have some bad turnovers, but he worked well with Nick(when paired with him) and he just seemed like an average Joe who played professional hockey.

Oh and he was a fricking beast in the Olympics!!! Best of luck to ya Raffy. ^_^
Go rest high on that mountain, cause son your work on Earth is done. Go to Heaven a'shouting love for the Father and the Son. Ruslan Salei, Brad McCrimmon, Stefan Liv, Pavol Demitra, and the entire Lokomotiv team.

#30 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 09:41 AM

Posted Image

Olympifalski.
TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.

#31 Johnny Law

Johnny Law

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 10:12 AM

Dude is going to be damn near impossible to replace, fantastic talent and really underrated by DRW fans.

He was excellent at getting the puck up and out of the zone which is something other guys (salei/big rig) struggle with.

#32 egroen

egroen

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 11:14 AM

I'm sure Rafalski is a stand up guy, but I sincerely doubt he's retiring in some bizarre effort to "help" the Wings, especially when it wouldn't be any help at all if the Wings can't get someone to replace his offensive ability.

In any event, I still appreciate Brian and his effort in Detroit and the Cup he was a big part of the team winning. No regrets; mission accomplished, man. :thumbup:

Lol, if Rafalski really wanted to help the Wings he would have waived his no-trade clause and let Holland trade him to some sucker GM before announcing his retirement ala Brett Hull :)

I've been a big Rafalski fan and loved seeing him come to Detroit. Nothing but good things to say about him and still holding out hope he might have one year left in him.
Red Kelly #4 and Larry Aurie #6 belong in the rafters!!!

"For my game, I don't need to score the goal," Konstantinov once explained. "I need someone to start thinking about me and forgetting about scoring goals."

#33 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 11:16 AM

Sanity. Does anyone else here still have theirs?

Censorship. Some here should move to Russia and practice it.
TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.

#34 softshoes

softshoes

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 11:29 AM

I think you're very wrong and to be quite honest I think that's ridiculous. He's 37 won the cup mutiple times, has had some nagging injuries and just figured that now is a better time than any to hang em up. Donated 6 million dollars? Cmon..he has made more then enough money in this league..did you ever think that he values his health and would love to spend more time with his family? He took a discount when he signed his deal and to for you to think he's doing this to make the team better is kinda funny actually. Who is out there that we can realistically get that is as good as Raf? Key word being realistic.

Shhhhh!!

Until Nick retires(not this yr please) we have this perfectly good unoccupied pedestal just sitting here. I see no reason Brian can't stand on it for a bit. :P
"Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f***in beatin's. The world ends when you're dead. Until then you got more punishment in store.Stand it like a man, and give some back."

- Al Swearengen

#35 gcom007

gcom007

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,215 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 12:00 PM

All I've got to say is "wow." Did not expect this at all. Rafi's been a great Red Wing and a huge part of our recent success. He was definitely taken for granted by many around here who couldn't get over their fantasy's of having $6 million to play with in cap space.

To those people, news flash: it's going to be a whole lot harder to replace Rafalski than you ever imagined.

Definitely sad to see him go, but I really appreciated him while he was here. It's always great to have hometown guys (Rafi actually went to my high school) return and win a Championship at that.

-Elliot

#36 wings87

wings87

Wake Up!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 12:11 PM

It's really bittersweet for me, while I like having the cap space, its a crappy ending to a great career.

Good Luck Raf

"He usually shows up when the game is over and tries to be the hero. Puts his cape on and goes and flies out there." ~ Franzen 

#37 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 03:06 PM

When I think of "classy", I think of what Mr. Hašek did in 2003-04 with regards to his contract payment..

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#38 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 03:19 PM

And, like it or not, was a big help to Detroit's puck possession game the last three years.

As much as Lidstrom is a generational talent, he had a much easier time doing what he wanted two years ago with Rafalski as his partner. Now that he has been playing with more "shut down" partners (Stuart in particular), he has had a much bigger workload, mentally and physically.

One thing should not go under-appreciated was Rafalski's ability to hold the puck in at the blue line.

cc_champs-5_zps34057ff0.png

#39 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 03:26 PM

One thing should not go under-appreciated was Rafalski's ability to hold the puck in at the blue line.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: