• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest blueadams

Brian Rafalski appreciation thread

Rate this topic

I think your right but I also think your wrong. I do agree that he did put the team first all tho the reason he retired is probably not due to that he can't produce. I think he realized that his health is more important and being a player that's getting paid 6 million a year and being injured was not his type of a player.

I'm really going to miss him, it's going to be a big blow to our defense. For all those that wanted Rafalski out the past couple of years ... well get ready guys our defense just dropped about 20% and our offense by 15%.

Always will be the best picture of him in a Wings uniform, after his '08 Finals Game 5 go-ahead goal in the 3rd.

Rafalski_500_060208.jpg

His face after that goal will always stick in my mind. I couldn't believe his eyebrows could go that far up his head!! :P Last goal in game 5 and first goal in game 6! He was great that year.

I'm actually going to miss him. He did have some bad turnovers, but he worked well with Nick(when paired with him) and he just seemed like an average Joe who played professional hockey.

Oh and he was a fricking beast in the Olympics!!! Best of luck to ya Raffy. ^_^

I'm sure Rafalski is a stand up guy, but I sincerely doubt he's retiring in some bizarre effort to "help" the Wings, especially when it wouldn't be any help at all if the Wings can't get someone to replace his offensive ability.

In any event, I still appreciate Brian and his effort in Detroit and the Cup he was a big part of the team winning. No regrets; mission accomplished, man. :thumbup:

Lol, if Rafalski really wanted to help the Wings he would have waived his no-trade clause and let Holland trade him to some sucker GM before announcing his retirement ala Brett Hull :)

I've been a big Rafalski fan and loved seeing him come to Detroit. Nothing but good things to say about him and still holding out hope he might have one year left in him.

I think you're very wrong and to be quite honest I think that's ridiculous. He's 37 won the cup mutiple times, has had some nagging injuries and just figured that now is a better time than any to hang em up. Donated 6 million dollars? Cmon..he has made more then enough money in this league..did you ever think that he values his health and would love to spend more time with his family? He took a discount when he signed his deal and to for you to think he's doing this to make the team better is kinda funny actually. Who is out there that we can realistically get that is as good as Raf? Key word being realistic.

Shhhhh!!

Until Nick retires(not this yr please) we have this perfectly good unoccupied pedestal just sitting here. I see no reason Brian can't stand on it for a bit. :P

All I've got to say is "wow." Did not expect this at all. Rafi's been a great Red Wing and a huge part of our recent success. He was definitely taken for granted by many around here who couldn't get over their fantasy's of having $6 million to play with in cap space.

To those people, news flash: it's going to be a whole lot harder to replace Rafalski than you ever imagined.

Definitely sad to see him go, but I really appreciated him while he was here. It's always great to have hometown guys (Rafi actually went to my high school) return and win a Championship at that.

And, like it or not, was a big help to Detroit's puck possession game the last three years.

As much as Lidstrom is a generational talent, he had a much easier time doing what he wanted two years ago with Rafalski as his partner. Now that he has been playing with more "shut down" partners (Stuart in particular), he has had a much bigger workload, mentally and physically.

One thing should not go under-appreciated was Rafalski's ability to hold the puck in at the blue line.