• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
GMRwings1983

Kronwall's New Role?

Rate this topic

So with Rafalski seemingly retiring, and Lidstrom possibly retiring, do you guys see Kronwall as ever being the top defenseman on the Wings? Or do you think Holland will pursue someone else to be top dog, whether it be Weber or Doughty or someone else? Obviously, sometime in the near future, both Lidstrom and Rafalski will be gone, so it'll be interesting to see what happens with Kronwall and whether his role expands.

I'm not entirely sure that the top brass is willing to make him number 1 at any point in the future. He has played well in spurts, but has looked average too frequently at other stretches in his career. To be the top defenseman, you have to bring it every night, and I've never seen that from him over the course of a season.

I still think he's a great second pairing defenseman, who can be a solid number 2 D-man on the team. But likely not top dog.

Edited by GMRwings1983

Joking right?

Actually, I see Kronwall splitting #1 minutes with Lidstrom next year, with Lids on the PP more and Kronwall on more at ES (roughly equal PK distribution) so I wouldn't say he's all the way off.

Like it or not, Lidstrom is going to be gone sooner rather than later and there's no reason not to give Kronwall more responsibilities with the gap between their play slowly decreasing.

Anyhow, I think Kronwall can be our #1 guy in the future if we get him a solid #2/1b guy. He's no Nick, but he's more responsibly defensively than a solid number of top line NHL defenders, he demolishes people, and he's top 20 in offense from the D (with 2nd PP line minutes).

So with Rafalski seemingly retiring, and Lidstrom possibly retiring, do you guys see Kronwall as ever being the top defenseman on the Wings? Or do you think Holland will pursue someone else to be top dog, whether it be Weber or Doughty or someone else? Obviously, sometime in the near future, both Lidstrom and Rafalski will be gone, so it'll be interesting to see what happens with Kronwall and whether his role expands.

I'm not entirely sure that the top brass is willing to make him number 1 at any point in the future. He has played well in spurts, but has looked average too frequently at other stretches in his career. To be the top defenseman, you have to bring it every night, and I've never seen that from him over the course of a season.

I still think he's a great second pairing defenseman, who can be a solid number 2 D-man on the team. But likely not top dog.

Weber/Doughty would incredibly unlikely. I doubt Kronwall will ever be a dominant player or Norris candidate. All-star, maybe. I can see Kronwall as a #1 here, just with a very strong #2-6 behind him to lighten the load. It's the only realistic way to replace Nick.

I read somewhere that he's started to become very vocal on the bench and has these leadership qualities. I guess this is why he wore "A" once this season when if I remember correctly Datsyuk and Draper weren't playing.

Of course he lacks the grace of Lidström, but almost everyone does. I think Kronwall can be number one, but unlike Lidström, he wouldn't be a clear one.

He had more ice time and PK time than any Wing in the playoffs, although he didn't draw the top match-ups that Mike delegated to Nick/Stuart. His point totals will go up if Rafalski/Lidstrom retire and he gets on the top PP unit. I'm sure Kenny will pursue whoever he can to make the team better, although I'm not sure there's really a market for a better #1 Dman, but anyways if necessary I think Kronwall could be the top guy.

Kronwall will not be number one if Lidstrom returns. Assuming we don't sign / trade any defenseman I clearly see Stuart and Lidstrom pairing. The only way IMO Kronwall will get a start as the 1st pairing is if Lids retires.

Kronner's role will definitely increase especially if he plays like he did towards the end of the season and all of the playoffs. I agree with Datsyerberger where I see most nights he and Lids splitting the top TOI each night. His complete game and ability to be used in every situation is something you can't question. I do even see him as being one of the Alternates fairly soon down the road here as his leadership has even been well chronicled. Nik Jr. really seems to be stepping to the plate lately. Kind of proves how much people need to understand just how difficult it is to play defense at the NHL level.

He showed his roll in the playoffs and stepped up big time. He has the capabilities of being number 1 but I think holland goes after someone else after nick and raffy are gone. Like you said solid 2nd dman

As Brett said, he showed what his role should be in the future during these playoffs. If he continues to play the way he did in the post-season then I don't think there's any doubt he will be on the top pairing regardless of who we might sign going forward. Once the day comes where Lids retires, there isn't a doubt in my mind that Kronner will get Hank's 'A'.

He ate up minutes, played a strong defensive game, pitched in on offense and laid some great hits on a bunch of idiots.

Guest Crymson

Weber/Doughty would incredibly unlikely. I doubt Kronwall will ever be a dominant player or Norris candidate. All-star, maybe. I can see Kronwall as a #1 here, just with a very strong #2-6 behind him to lighten the load. It's the only realistic way to replace Nick.

How about we get Weber AND Doughty? OMFG!

Kronner is our number 2 guy until Lidstrom retires. He is more than capable of being the top guy, but I don't see Holland limiting himself. Replacing Rafalski and Lidstrom will get us guys on par with Kronner, if not better. Why not have the most dominating top four in the league when you can suddenly afford it?